Post up your survival kits / bug out bags!

You gotta constantly modify your kit. My kit is an ever changing and fluid thing based on where I am going and what I am expecting. To have enough for everything would be to ride in a tractor trailer all the time. Knowledge and skills are packed lite, and can't be left behind. Its not what we have that will ensure survival but what we know to do with it. I believe survival is not in a kit, but in a way of life. Although a kit is a very handy thing to have.

Thanks for the welcome, I may hang out here a little more instead of the exchange.

JT

simplicity is bliss

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

all thats missing is a whistle and a couple sharpened nails

Not to bust anyone's balls, but how many of you have actually taken an Altoids kit to the woods and spent 3 days living off of only that kit? Reason I say this is for the most part I call bullshit on these kits. They give someone a false sense of security.

i'm planning on doing just that this spring. a weekend out in the back 40. there will be 1 big cheat other then the camera gear and thats a actual water filter. i know what been sprayed on the fields over the years and there is no point in taking the chance. the odds of chemical contamination is very low but there is still a slim chance

You guys have some nice kits put together.

This is the most recent pictures of the kit I have. I use this as a core survival kit that goes back and forth between my Hiking Pack and my EDC / Urban Survival Bag. I have since taken the ESEE-4 off of it (Put that back on the molle back w/ pouch) I have added an Izula, TOPS survival saw, and also have a micro stream light on its way. I just made a new shoulder strap out of 40' paracord.

Here is what is in the ESEE Small Pack

Fire:
•ESEE Fire Kit w/ PJ Cotton Ball

Water
•2 – 5”x7” Heavy duty Zip Top Bag (1 Liter Capacity)
•6 – Aquamira Water Purification Tablets

Shelter
•Heat Sheet Blanket (Single Person)
•Contractor Grade Trash Bag (Cut Open 72”x54”)

Rescue / Navigation
•Whistle
•Signal Mirror
•Compass
•Ranger Pace Count Beads
•ESEE Survival / Navigation Card

Tools / Misc
•ESEE Izula
•Compact Stanley Multi-Tool
•2- ESEE AH-1 w/ Fletching & Glue Kit
•3- Large Key Ring
•3- Small Key Ring
•Micro Stream Light
•35’ Black 550 Cord (Cobra Braid – Shoulder Strap)
•6’ Light Bungee Cord
•18’ Heavy Nylon Thread
•Sewing Needle
•24” x 12” Aluminum Foil
•Small Roll Duct Tape
•3 Sheets Rite in Rain Paper
•Black Pen
•Compact Fishing Kit
-Hooks (Various Sizes)
-40’ - 50 Lb. Spider Wire Fish Line
-6 Split Pea Sinkers (Various Sizes)
-4 Gummy Bait

First Aid Kit
•2- Lg. Band Aid
•1-Antiseptic Wipes
•2-Imodium
•2-Motrin
•2- Benadryl
•2- 2x2 Gauze
•1- 3”x3” Gauze
•Tourniquet Band
•48” Medical Tape

eseesmallpack1.jpg

eseesmallpack2.jpg

eseesmallpack3.jpg

eseesmallpack4.jpg

eseesmallpack5.jpg

eseesmallpack6.jpg

When I am hiking I like to layer my gear, lighter, pocket knife, map and compass always stay in my pockets. ESEE-4 with tin kit on the belt. I agree with Jeff, it would suck to attempt to survive for any length of time with the above mentioned gear, but better than nothing.

Whats in the ESEE-4 Kit

-Small LED Light
-5"x7" Plastic Bag
-Water Purification Tablets
-Fire Steel
-30' 50# Fish Line
-4 Fish Hooks
-2 Small Lures
-4 Split Shot Sinker
-ESEE AH-1
-ESEE Survival Card
-ESEE Signal Mirror
-2 Small Key Rings
-2 Large Key Rings

eseen.jpg

I am in the process of putting together a good EDC / Urban Survival Kit.

So far this is what I plan on carrying. This will be a go every where car bag. I won't be able to actually take it inside while I am working...

ESEE Small Pack Kit
1 Liter Steel Water Bottle
Change of cloths
Poncho / Rain Jacket
Food, Granola Bars, Beef Jerky, Mountain House ProPak
FAK / Trauma Kit
Multi Plier
Interchangeable Screw Driver w/ Phillips, standard, and torx bit heads
Flash Light
Fleece Blanket w/ nylon shell
GPS / MAPS / Evacuation Routes / Compass
Glock 23
Digital Camera, thumb drive, SD Cards
Extra Batteries
Battery operated phone / GPS charger
Small Hygiene kit with TP, Chap stick, Camp Soap, Sun Screen, Bug Spray, Wet Wipes

I don't have any pics of this kit yet.

ESEEpics003.jpg

ESEEpics004.jpg

ESEEpics006.jpg

Maxpedition H-1
ESEE-5
ESEE basic survival kit
Streamlight flash light
ESEE navi and survival cards
ESEE firekit
Paracord
Plus misc. stuff...

Truthfully I hope I never have to use it, only when I choose to...

Thanks for the comments, and the knowledge. They wouldn't be built as such without the info found here and on the ESEE site.

Thanks for the comments, and the knowledge. They wouldn't be built as such without the info found here and on the ESEE site.

I am blown away at the knowledge on these forums. I learn something new every day here.

real nice kits folks! i too have learned immensely from this forum,and have a better understanding on what should go into my kit,and how to use it! thanx !-fed

Don't let this thread die!

One thing Decklin, I'd add in some more imodium. Per the directions, the first 2 pills are for the first case of the squirts and at that point you might not even know it's an actual problem. Take 2, then 1 after every other case of the squirts. They're tiny and pay off 100 fold if you need them!

One thing Decklin, I'd add in some more imodium. Per the directions, the first 2 pills are for the first case of the squirts and at that point you might not even know it's an actual problem. Take 2, then 1 after every other case of the squirts. They're tiny and pay off 100 fold if you need them!

There a two packets, 4 pills. So that should get me through a little while if I'm having enchiladas in the woods.

Thanks for the detailed advice:)

EDIT: Got my Micro Stream Light and Nano Stream Light in today. Got a couple button compasses as well to toss in various bags.

EXCELLENT thread (bookmarked for later), especially the awesome, detailed and up-close pics!

Yeah you need immodium with you out in the bush. I also started carrying a weeks worth of Cipro for 3 people. just went to the doc and he wrote it up for me. That's way in case the immodium doesn't work, the Cipro will kill it all (hopefully). Also it you ever got to the point where you ever had to drink directl from a known polluted source to keep you going, or alve, the Cipro can shock your gut and kill it all in 1-2 days. Not sure if Jeff carry's any but like to know what El Jefe thinks about the idea?! I picked up the 1 day dose from Pelton, as I guess that's what they're teaching in Militarty SERE school now. When I went through I had never heard about slamming it all in one dose. But I guess it really works much faster and better.

(Not a kit post, just some thoughts on the topic. You've been warned!)

-

I'm personally not a big fan of most survival kits.

I think its easy to put too much thought into organization and packing of a survival kit, until it gets to the point where actually taking things out and using them becomes less attractive because then you'll have to reorganize everything in a tiny little case again once you're done with it. Next thing you know you're carrying that item in your pack instead, and the survival kit becomes the redundancy kit, collecting dust.

Thats what happened with me when I carried a pocket survival kit, anyway. Never wanted to break it open, dig through it to the item I actually needed, and actually use the stuff. I ended up carrying all the frequently used items in my secondary backpack compartment or on my person for easy access. Not much remained in the kit, just little odds and ends I don't really need.

The closest thing to a survival kit I carry is my first aid kit. It has some basic FAK supplies in addition to some niche/redundancy items like duct tape, a signal mirror, firesteel, tin foil, and water purification tabs. Nothing fancy.

To me, "survival" is the same as camping. So whenever I'm in the woods, I simply carry my camping gear, and surviving a rough night or two will never be an issue. Tarp, rain gear, extra layers, fire kit, some tools, etc. What else do I need?

I understand that the issue of being separated from your bag still persists, but since I pack with a minimalist mindset, my bag is usually very small and light weight. I never have much reason to take it off in the first place.

NothingCoherant: It seems to me that you are talking a bit about the difference between EDC items and a survival kit. I always keep a pocket knife, lighter,etc in my pockets because they do get used all the time. My core kit does have some redundant items in it but there is a reason for it. I can pretty much empty out my entire urban survival kit and carry everything on my person with a pair of cargo pants on. This gives my lower profile than having everything stuffed in a backpack. Also this works out well in the event my backpack fails. I do have a couple items in my pack that get used for non emergency situations but they are items that are to bulky to carry on me all the time. These items I keep in the organizational pocket, so they come out and go back with very little trouble. Everything else in the bag stay packed and waterproofed unless I really need it. The entire bag is put together with emergency situations in mind.
My core kit also travels in my hiking bag, and stays in there while I am hiking. Once I have made camp I can grab it and a water bottle and scout around some with the comfort of knowing that if I get turned around or injured I have some things that may help me stay alive.

I respect your opinion, everyone has a different philosophy. Many think I'm a little extreme on survival, but I spend a good amount of time out where help is hours away, and I have a family that relies on me to make it home alive.

I put this kit together for the purpose of hunting. It's not a E&E bag or a Bug Out Bag, just a small enough kit, that will hopefully assist me enough should I get lost deep in the woods. I don't always wear a backpack. And too many times I found myself, late in the day wondering what I was thinking being way out here without a pack. So I came up with this small kit that I often forget is there. I can also wear it with a pack, which I often do when I backpack with my son.

Pack:

Maxpedition Octa

DSCN1414.jpg

Contents:

Izula
Buck 110
20' Paracord
Headlamp
Carabiniere
Carmex
Compass
Cotton Balls with Vaseline
Poncho
Survival Blanket
Leatherman
Niteize Figure 9
SAS Survival Guide
Ferro Rod
Large Tin
Medium Tin
Small Tin
Blood Trauma Kit

DSCN1416.jpg

Contents of Large Tin:

(2) Wire Saws
Condom
Razor Blade
Signal Mirror
Candle
Duct Tape
Water Purification Tablets
String
Tampon
Safety Pins
Magnesium
Small LED Light
Fishing Kit
Tweezers
Write Wet Paper
Salt
Button Compass
Empty Baggies
Aspirin
Neosporin
Waterproof Matches

DSCN1421.jpg

DSCN1418.jpg

Contents Medium Tin:

AH-1
Condom
Snare Wire
Sewing Kit
Wet Write Pencil
Button Compass
Whistle
Small Multi Tool

DSCN1420.jpg

DSCN1417.jpg

Contents of Small Tin:

Prescription Medicine

DSCN1419.jpg

There a two packets, 4 pills. So that should get me through a little while if I'm having enchiladas in the woods.

Thanks for the detailed advice:)

EDIT: Got my Micro Stream Light and Nano Stream Light in today. Got a couple button compasses as well to toss in various bags.

Detailed would have been if I included pictures. :D

MHILL: Looks like a pretty nice kit you have there. I think you touched on something is so important and that is the fact that your kit is compact and easy to carry. If a kit is such a PIA to carry that you start leaving it behind then ... well you get the point.

Adaman: Reminds me of Dave and his panty pics... you could have been famous.

Decklin, that's it man. I had a lot of this gear in my backpack. Did my zero good when the bag was at camp because I hated dragging it along everywhere I went.

Back