• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Potential Scammer alert/stolen knife?

That email didn't look like big auction site. Did you two communicate outside of big auction? Was the deal negotiated and consummated outside of big auction?

Post #13 shows our ebay comms. Its all been email since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know the credit card used to make the payment? If so, I'd be talking to their fraud folks.

Wish I did. About to call all of them to see if it will go anywhere. If he did initiate the chargeback Im sure they would love to see who signed if usps still had the record.

Thanks man for info. Yes it shows delivered and it required a signature. Wander if they still have proof of that signature 3 months later?
380c1da357c571abc7bd7eb381d60eba.jpg

Hell, this is open/shut case....

No way this guy can get away with this if there's ANY JUSTICE LEFT IN THE WORLD! At the very least I can't see you losing your funds from the consummated sale.

Just keep it classy brother, he's gonna keep trying to bait you into losing your temper while at the same time intimidate you out of dropping the case...Maybe consider just breaking off contact with the fool for now and go thru the official channels...you've done your due diligence by trying to work thru it with him-- that's all you can do as far as he's concerned...

Get Monofletch's take on it...Talk to some real human beings @ PayPal and DOCUMENT the names/employee #'s of everyone you talk too...you got this bro.

I apologize if you're already doing this and it's too obvious...but I'm PISSED!

Oh, BTW...PayPal instituted some policy changes TODAY, I skimmed thru them and I'm pretty sure they don't apply to your case...you might wanna look at them too.

Last edited:
Thanks man for info. Yes it shows delivered and it required a signature. Wander if they still have proof of that signature 3 months later?
380c1da357c571abc7bd7eb381d60eba.jpg

To the right on that page should be a link to request delivery confirmation. Click that, give your email. They'll send you a .pdf with the receiver's signature.

wow, how this can even happen?

i hope paypal will be on your side, if not i will be scratching my head for a while

at that point, ignore that weirdo and deal with the case, don't lose more time with him

Okay, it's 1:40 am and I have a sneaking suspicion about this case.

I'm wondering if this scammer isn't some 20 something kid who had been using Dad's credit card (unbeknownst to Dad) to fund his PayPal account while he bought up knives he liked. After all, he did express concern about you calling his parent's house and he comes across in his emails like an immature little jerk.

Dad found charges on his credit card going to a PayPal account, had never set up a PayPal account (gasp!) so he asked his cc company for a chargeback as he thinks someone must have stolen his cc info and set up a fraudulent PayPal account! He has no idea that sonny boy has been using the credit card funded PayPal account to feed his sharp, pointy thing addiction and that all those charges to his credit card are from Jr.'s knife purchases.

Just my wild out-in-left-field why-am-I-still-awake crazy theory on this after reading through the thread. You may point and laugh now.

Seriously, though, Eric, I hope this is all resolved for you soon and in your favor.

Last edited:

I'm wondering if this scammer isn't some 20 something kid who had been using Dad's credit card (unbeknownst to Dad) to fund his PayPal account while he bought up knives he liked. After all, he did express concern about you calling his parent's house and he comes across in his emails like an immature little jerk.

Dad found charges on his credit card going to a PayPal account, had never set up a paypal account (gasp!) so he asked his cc company for a chargeback as he thinks someone must have stolen his cc info and set up a fraudulent PayPal account! He has no idea that sonny boy has been using the credit card funded PayPal account to feed his sharp pointy thing addiction and that all those charges to his credit card are from Jr.'s knife purchases.

Just my wild out-in-left-field why-am-I-still-awake crazy theory on this after reading through the thread. You may point and laugh now.

Seriously, though, Eric, I hope this is all resolved for you soon and in your favor.

No laughing at all, it very well could be the case and I appreciate your insight. The knives were obviously sent to his parents house as a college kid doesn't own a 300k house, well not many who are looking for $20 off on a knife. I am beginning to wonder if him and dad share the same name? When I mentioned calling them, his reply tone certainly seemed a bit different to me. Hmmmmmmm

Also ment to ask, he is throwing all these legal terms out there. Should I feel threatened? If Ive over stepped my boundries I would think this would of got locked as bf wants no part of that sort of thing? If so, feel free to lock and delete and I will glady take the $300 up the chute if it comes to that. Just trying to share my experience is all.

I would not be concerned at all. Just don't make any actual threats of harm, etc against him. I am very familiar with defamation laws and he's an idiot. I can't offer legal advice but am an attorney and you are welcome to contact me offline if it becomes necessary. Good luck with this.

No laughing at all, it very well could be the case and I appreciate your insight. The knives were obviously sent to his parents house as a college kid doesn't own a 300k house, well not many who are looking for $20 off on a knife. I am beginning to wonder if him and dad share the same name? When I mentioned calling them, his reply tone certainly seemed a bit different to me. Hmmmmmmm

When I saw who owned the house, my first thought was that he was BS'ing you about being a college kid. But the more I think about it, the more I think LizaMari nailed it. If in fact she is right, it's possible dad will clear things up with you right away and then have a chat with his little boy.

If that is the case, that little boy is not going to enjoy the chat. Good.
Hope all this garbage ends well for you Eric.
Joe

Dad found charges on his credit card going to a PayPal account, had never set up a PayPal account (gasp!) so he asked his cc company for a chargeback as he thinks someone must have stolen his cc info and set up a fraudulent PayPal account! He has no idea that sonny boy has been using the credit card funded PayPal account to feed his sharp, pointy thing addiction and that all those charges to his credit card are from Jr.'s knife purchases.

This is making more and more sense the more I think about it. I'd give the house a call.

This was my reaction after he mentioned the call to the parents house. I thought one of the earlier posts mentioned something about them have a kid as the individual mentioned was "old enough to know better" or something like that. It wouldn't be the first time a kid and dad didn't communicate the greatest and screwed things up a little. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but there's certainly is a lot of doubt right now. I'm curious why the kid hasn't figured this out on his own, if this is the theory. Seems like he could ask dad the dealio or link the cc card to the paypal. Assuming they have a decent relationship, I want to think that at some point he would have asked the dad for some advice/incite on the resolution, especially throwing around legal terms but maybe he thinks he knows it all. There's a a wide range of maturity in people of that age, I know I was an arrogant asshat at times during that era of my life.

Profile has him graduating High School back in 2009 so the fella is old enough to know better.

I just hope and pray to never deal or encounter unscrupulous buyers.

It really sucks.

I always take pictures of receipts , provide tracking numbers etc.

Sadly sometimes ebay or pp will favor the buyer.

Buyers wgo are dishonest will exploit this, anyway. Hope you clear things up and i commend you for bringing this up here on bf

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Eric I just read your thread and you should contact the Postal Inspectors. You have all the documentation to go forward with a case of theft by mail.
Sorry this happened to you.
Tom

Back