• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Potential Scammer alert/stolen knife?

I remember that mess Jack! His mom reached out and asked us to delete posts so the bullshit he caused wouldn't hurt him later in life!! Think he was 14 or 15.
A few of us thought those posts should have stayed up.
Joe

That was EASILY the biggest hassle of my "knife life". My unsolicited two cents, if you think it's a kid, contact the parents and don't post about it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So how can this be avoided? I got a guy wanting to buy three of my knives for over 2000 and I'm afraid of so.eething like this happening and I really need the money.

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk

So how can this be avoided? I got a guy wanting to buy three of my knives for over 2000 and I'm afraid of so.eething like this happening and I really need the money.

Ask him to call you. If his voice sounds like a 12 year old, run.

If this is a forum deal you need to update your member status for one. You can't sell without the proper membership.

If it is a forum deal- research the member,. It won't be hard to get a picture of who you are dealing with.

He does have a forum profile but it's weaker than mine and mine is weak I haven't done much dealings on here , seems like when I figure out how to do something I don't have permission or get the third degree so Ive pretty much given up on dealing on here.

Does using friends and family have any bearing on if he can stop payment

I would think so, but not a proper use of PP. If you want to go that route ask for a USPS money order, but hopefully you will stand behind any legit claims if you do. The buyer should be treated the same as if he did have PP protection, when using USPS money orders IMO-fraud by the buyer is the only exception.
By research- look at posts, How long has he been here, look at I trader feed back , run a search to see if there has been anything in GBU, and if you are really worried don't do the deal or even break up the deal to 3 parts.

Last edited:

Never ever use F&F when buying or selling. By violating Paypal's terms of service (which you are since you're making purchases not gifting or loaning to F or F) you automatically give up any protections in place should the deal go south on you. Not to mention that they'll suspend your account should it come to light hat you're abusing that service, creating a hassle for anyone you're dealing with.

Everything's cool until someone gets charged with mail fraud.. Hope it works out in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, Eric is a true stand up gentleman!!!!

Sucks to hear this happened to ya!!!

I truly hope this ends in your favor!!

The signature and USPS delivery confirmation should be more than enough evidence for PayPal!!!

btackett30...

Just as everybody else here has said make sure you do not use friends and family PP. Take payment via goods and services.

I had a deal just like this last year with a member on another form that ended up giving me headaches. But I was well prepared and I was able to stop the problem before it even started. Here is what I did and always do with somebody I don't know.

I videotape the whole process of wrapping up the knife and packaging it. I show the knife and detail and I show entire packaging process from start to finish. Then when I'm wrapping up the package I put small tags on the seams, corners and edges. I videotape those tags closely and then I cover them up with more clear tape. That way I can prove what the package looked like before it went out. Then when I go to the post office I make sure that I get the weight of the package documented. I also film the package after the postage has been put on it showing those same tags that I put on the box earlier. So if he comes at you at a later date and says that the package was tampered with he has to show pictures that it wasn't packaged properly or it was tampered with. Then the USPS will have to honor the insurance. But with the signature required option he won't be able to say the package was tampered with during delivery because he accepted the package. Then make sure you get signature required and keep your receipt and tracking information. Also make sure you insure the package for the value of the item.

btackett30...

Just as everybody else here has said make sure you do not use friends and family PP. Take payment via goods and services.

I had a deal just like this last year with a member on another form that ended up giving me headaches. But I was well prepared and I was able to stop the problem before it even started. Here is what I did and always do with somebody I don't know.

I videotape the whole process of wrapping up the knife and packaging it. I show the knife and detail and I show entire packaging process from start to finish. Then when I'm wrapping up the package I put small tags on the seams, corners and edges. I videotape those tags closely and then I cover them up with more clear tape. That way I can prove what the package looked like before it went out. Then when I go to the post office I make sure that I get the weight of the package documented. I also film the package after the postage has been put on it showing those same tags that I put on the box earlier. So if he comes at you at a later date and says that the package was tampered with he has to show pictures that it wasn't packaged properly or it was tampered with. Then the USPS will have to honor the insurance. But with the signature required option he won't be able to say the package was tampered with during delivery because he accepted the package. Then make sure you get signature required and keep your receipt and tracking information. Also make sure you insure the package for the value of the item.

And that's just when he's shipping a LNIB Delica! ;)

Eric is a stand up guy. It's really a shame to see this happened. I hope it will end with a positive outcome for Eric.

Don

This has been really interesting. I'm planning on upping my membership to gold because I've got some knives I'm trying to sell on Craigslist that just aren't going and will be using paypal to do it. I'm not in love with paypal because I feel they take a bigger percentage than is appropriate, however I've always viewed that money as making doing business safer for the buyer and seller.

I've never seen something like this before. To clarify, do you not have funds in your wallet from this incident or are the just tied up and you're not allowed to transfer them to your bank account yet due to this issue?

I learned the hard way how persnickity paypal could be. I sold a revolver on gunbroker and it took 23 days for the finances to clear.

Back