• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Potential Scammer alert/stolen knife?

Sorry to hear. This certainly was not the justice. Hope there are other avenues to pursue. I would at least want a full explanation of what transpired. I don't believe anyone ever told you what this was all about.

Not trying to bring the BF PP police down on you with this ?. I am just trying to learn what I can from this mess.
But if I understand right this was a F&F/gift transaction and that is why you don't have seller protection. This along with the use of a credit card for that gift is how this was pulled off.
I don't believe you asked for F&F payment, but it may be something we need to watch for when a buyer sends it that way anyway.

Last edited:
Sounds about right Peter.
The buyer knew exactly what he was doing from the very beginning.
Unreal.

Is pursuing it through law enforcement still an option, or is that already being pursued?

Not being pursued, not sure if an option or how Id even go about it. After contacting paypal a few weeks back the guy I spoke with made me feel good about the situation so I just kinda let go and kept the faith. This situation already ruined my womans valentines day since it started on that day and I was so stressed/consumed by it. Was also 2 weeks before my moms yr anny from passing away so I just didn't have the mental strength or energy to go at it full strength as many have advised. I did call the house I sent the knives to this morning and left a message in attempts to rectify the situation before contacting usps fraud of which Im sure is just gonna be a waste of time and energy that would be better spent in the man-cave working. Meh.

Not trying to bring the BF PP police down on you with this ?. I am just trying to learn what I can from this mess.
But if I understand right this was a F&F/gift transaction and that is why you don't have seller protection. This along with the use of a credit card for that gift is how this was pulled off.
I don't believe you asked for F&F payment, but it may be something we need to watch for when a buyer sends it that way anyway.

I did not ask for F&F payment no, not that I am opposed to it though as I thought it prevented situations like this but him using his credit card was the x factor that got me, had he used paypal funds I do not think this would of went down. I cant recall for certain but I think I sent a $ request via my phone app and when I did it requested it in a non goods fashion which doesn't make sense to me as his mailing address whas attached to his payment and I know from many past experiences that when people have sent me payment via gift/friends the mailing info does not show up. Dumbfounded. Will definitely be more mindful in the future.

This scum bucket knew exactly what he was doing from the very beginning Eric.
Sucks to see you get left in this position.
Unreal.
Joe

This scum bucket knew exactly what he was doing from the very beginning Eric.
Sucks to see you get left in this position.
Unreal.
Joe

Agreed-I think the OP can remove the potential from the title
It's a real shame this goes on

Eric, If it's not going to stress you out too much, pursue this through other legal means. Stay in touch with the two members that have offered to help, with their knowledge of the laws. This con artist is not exactly hiding out in the hills somewhere. One day he will cross the wrong person. Until that happens, you can strategize with the more experienced people here, and continue to put pressure on this clown. Perhaps it's possible to meet someone that has local law enforcement contacts. With the right approach, sometimes the local and state athorities will take up your case. People will go out of their way to help you, if they understand your sincerity.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of this, unfortunately this is why is somebody sends "F&F" payment whom you don't know or trust you have almost no ground to stand on because it directly violates their policies. Your only choice would have been to refund immediately and ask for regular paypal payment. I have been forced to issue refunds before from folks who don't have authorized address', sucks but only you can cover your A$$... despite most of the time everything being fine.

Eric, I scrolled back through this thread and don't see anyplace that Monofletch has posted. Get ahold of him and ask him about the mail fraud situation.

Really sorry to hear this turned into such a bizarre crappy situation for you man.

Dave

Great idea HK!!
He has been a huge help to a few members!!
At this point, it can't hurt!
Joe

Hey guys first and foremost you all rock, thanks for the support.

Just woke, angry, decided to give paypal a call to speak my mind. Had absolutely zero expectations of any action to be taken, but obviously Kim is a reasonable person. She told me she will be crediting my account for the full amount (she first said half but changed to full). Cant believe the big guy actually listened to the little guy, quite refreshing I must say. That said, my faith in paypal has been restored but this little weasel is still out there with free knives, that makes my skin crawl. I do not think paypal going above and beyond should erase what he has done.

eta-Had intended on contacting mail fraud and local LEO today but not sure if I have that right now that I will be made whole?

Last edited:
I mostly lurk GBU (aside from an occasional thumb-up) and have been following your thread since the beginning.

I think PayPal making things good to you (monetarily) is fantastic! Thank you for posting! It restores a small portion of my faith in the cosmos.

Good to know that their fees get used with righteous intent from time to time.

Congrats OP!

Hey guys first and foremost you all rock, thanks for the support.

Just woke, angry, decided to give paypal a call to speak my mind. Had absolutely zero expectations of any action to be taken, but obviously Kim is a reasonable person. She told me she will be crediting my account for the full amount (she first said half but changed to full). Cant believe the big guy actually listened to the little guy, quite refreshing I must say. That said, my faith in paypal has been restored but this little weasel is still out there with free knives, that makes my skin crawl. I do not think paypal going above and beyond should erase what he has done.

eta-Had intended on contacting mail fraud and local LEO today but not sure if I have that right now that I will be made whole?
If you get your money back, just drop it. You really won't have a case to pursue. Let the guy self destruct. If he continues to provoke people, he may bring down the wrath of a really mean person, on him and his family. He's really not thinking his actions through.

The plot twists in this scammer case are like a Hollywood movie!

The latest update appears to turn in your favor Eric...hope it sticks this time because my mind can't handle another plot twist!

If you get your money back, just drop it. You really won't have a case to pursue. Let the guy self destruct. If he continues to provoke people, he may bring down the wrath of a really mean person, on him and his family. He's really not thinking his actions through.

Roger that sir. Thank you for taking the time to write/inform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent news Eric!!
Still pisses me off that the punk scored though.

Back