Practical Swords

Practical swords? No, I don't think so. There's all sorts of outfits that sell various "tactical" swords but the number of modern infantrymen that would use such a thing must be so close to non-existent that it probably wouldn't matter. There's really little place for a sword on the modern battlefield, or even in most self defense situations. Where a sword will serve a pistol will serve far better.

Do you mean like the Hanwei Tactical Wak or the Swamp Rat Rodent Waki? I have the latter and it actually gets used. So.... I atleast find it practical.

I didn't mean for combat i meant for the bush, like the condor bush cutlass.

Personally, I wouldn't use a sword for clearing brush a machete is a better choice, the blade geometries are different. Your mileage may vary...

Triton, you are correct, but i would like a sword as a show piece and i don't get anything i cant use.

Triton, you are correct, but i would like a sword as a show piece and i don't get anything i cant use.

Gotcha. Yet you would be using it... as a show piece... ;)

Sorry I couldn't resist. Don't misunderstand I think you should definitely get a sword! Were I to get one I wanted to use I would get either a katana or a western sword and then go take some classes in its use. That way it would be used in the most practical way possible these days. :)

Again, sorry not trying to be some sort of annoying wet blanket...

For reference the one I posted is designed as a sword/machete hybrid. It's not going to take down trees, but it'll clear brambles and vegetation like nobody's business. :D

Dainel Fairly makes some short sword from S7, so does Angel Sword. Practical, I don't know, useable strong and tough, they think so. I'd love to check any of those out.
I own a Swamp Rat Waki, and it's fun, but I wouldn't take it to the woods. An 18" machete cut's deeper into harwoods, speed and the thin edge help that. The Waki is too thick and heavy, it just doesn't bit that deep. In battle, I'll take the Waki for it's longer handle, and strength;, that's just a guess I've never been in a sword fight. I have a wooden bokken and a wooden waki. They feel better as far as their weight, the Waki's full tang and long handle take away from the tip's weight, and power, and make it feel a bit more akward, not as fast and lively. Maybe the faster machete would be a better weapon, if you can strike first, I don't know for sure.
I also own the Condor bush cutlass/machete. It's okay, I don't like the handle, it's too small and is akward. It's long and thin, very flexable, okay for tall grasses, but I'd rather have a 23" latin machete, or other proven designs. The Cutlass machete/sword is almost a novelty, pirate sword wanabe. Against an unarmed person, you would be able to slice and have reach, I suppose, but I would not take it to the woods either.

I use my scrap yard scrapizashi and swamp rat waki for clearing brush and chopping wood all the time. They work great.

The Scrapizashi is very fast in hand and clears brush almost as good as a machete and it will out chop a machete in hard wood chopping any day. A machete's soft steel will lose its edge if you are really putting it through its paces with hard wood. The Scrapizashi on the other hand will still shave when you're done then laugh and ask for more :)

I'm suprised anyone hasn't said it yet

Do you mean...SMATCHET? :p

It's okay, I don't like the handle, it's too small and is akward. It's long and thin, very flexable, okay for tall grasses, but I'd rather have a 23" latin machete, or other proven designs.

The blade on the Bush Cutlass is from a "sable" pattern machete. It's intended specifically for light targets like grasses and other green vegetation. It's a quite a proven design, but it's a highly specialized pattern. ;)

The Scrapizashi is very fast in hand and clears brush almost as good as a machete and it will out chop a machete in hard wood chopping any day. A machete's soft steel will lose its edge if you are really putting it through its paces with hard wood. The Scrapizashi on the other hand will still shave when you're done then laugh and ask for more :)

I think perhaps a higher quality machete is needed for comparison. I haven't had to resharpen any of my personal pieces in the field, and depending on the pattern choice they should do quite well against hardwoods. While your Scrapizashi is a very fine piece of work and does quite well for you, a blanket statement like that mistakenly implies that all machetes are created equal. I bet a Martindale heavy bolo, for instance, would fair quite well in a chop-off. :)

I think perhaps a higher quality machete is needed for comparison. I haven't had to resharpen any of my personal pieces in the field, and depending on the pattern choice they should do quite well against hardwoods. While your Scrapizashi is a very fine piece of work and does quite well for you, a blanket statement like that mistakenly implies that all machetes are created equal. I bet a Martindale heavy bolo, for instance, would fair quite well in a chop-off. :)

Im sure a high end machete would outchop the scrapizashi but alot of machete's, including all the ones Ive used are pretty soft and lose an edge quickly. Then again I have never used a really quality machete. Id like to get a nice machete made with better steel, perhaps a custom like fiddleback, and see how it performs. Thin stock+ wide blade + high end steel = chopping machine.

Thin stock+ wide blade + high end steel = chopping machine.

My thoughts exactly! :D

For a good model to test that costs less than the Fiddleback (which is awesome) check out the Condor bolo.

This sword is practical for us old timers. And when they say it's battle ready, they're not joking. After a recent tornado I abused the heck out of it cutting branches off of fallen tree limbs. Came from Cold Steel razor sharp, and holds an edge very well. Only problem is that in Virginia, I can only use it on my own property. This sword is VERY well made, and has the cool factor, too...
http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-battle-ready-sword-cane-heavy-duty-p-3421.html

This sword is practical for us old timers. And when they say it's battle ready, they're not joking. After a recent tornado I abused the heck out of it cutting branches off of fallen tree limbs. Came from Cold Steel razor sharp, and holds an edge very well. Only problem is that in Virginia, I can only use it on my own property. This sword is VERY well made, and has the cool factor, too...
http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-battle-ready-sword-cane-heavy-duty-p-3421.html

I wouldn't suggest anyone use that for "chopping/hacking" wood or any brush- wrong tool, wrong job

wrong tool, wrong job

I wasn't working, I was having fun! And it worked extremely well. This is the sword I keep by my bed. I wouldn't dare think of using a sword in self defense if I hadn't abused it first. I do the same to my blades that I carry in my canoe. It's not good to have an immediate need for a tool, and "hope" that it works.

I have spent a lot of time with foreign military personnel and have seen a lot of blades. The only guy I ever met that carried a sword was an Israeli guys that carried a Wally Hayes wakisashi on his back, the guy claimed that he had used it on several occasions, I could see how it would come in handy.

There is a picture on Mr. Hayes web site that I’m almost sure is of the same guy. How knows. But there are a few swords wilder out there.

You can see the handle of it sticking out from this back.

There is also the Hisshou™, designed by James Williams, that i have seen on a few plate carriers as well.

Last edited:
Back