Practical Swords

Oooooh I just imagined it with an integral Dussack-style knuckle bow on it and got goosebumps. :D:thumbup:

Well, I did do this one, which is the only blade with both an integral socket handle and an integral knuckle guard that I am aware of. There probably are a few others, but I haven't seen or heard of 'em.

bushsword002.jpg

bushsword003.jpg

hunting.jpg

hunting1.jpg

hunting2.jpg

hunting2.jpg

hunting3.jpg

Probably about as close to an art blade as I have made, but still quite functional.

Hey Storm Crow, your swords are F'n awesome. If I were going to war, I would want something like that with a knuckle duster guard. I am not practical, but neither is war. Nice Work.

For reference the one I posted is designed as a sword/machete hybrid. It's not going to take down trees, but it'll clear brambles and vegetation like nobody's business. :D
what is the name of this blade, and where did you find it?

It's called the Oberst, and it may be found on my site--just click my signature image. You can find the item on the main page or under the first menu category.

OMFG!!!! that Mitchell is soooooo gorgeous! I have the exact same questions as the other guy - ever make em with a gaurd? And is that swedge sharpened? Seriously nice piece :)

OMFG!!!! that Mitchell is soooooo gorgeous! I have the exact same questions as the other guy - ever make em with a gaurd? And is that swedge sharpened? Seriously nice piece :)

Thanks!

I actually do make a version with a guard!

The swedge on this particular wakizashi is not sharpened, although I can sharpen it if requested.

DSCN2602.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2602.JPG
    DSCN2602.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 12
That one would be hawt with a sharpened swedge. :cool::thumbup:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Hanwei Tactical Wakizashi. They also make a Katana version now as well. I have a Wak, and it seems a good value.

I kinda think the Tac Wak was how this thread got started, actually. I got a couple of them, and for 85 USD, they're a very good deal indeed. I want the Tactical Tanto also, actually. Tacto, maybe?

@Mitchell, I was thinking more like a traditional oval hilt, or even a cross hilt like on the Hanwei Tac Wac. Gonna have to do some chatting with you here...

I rather like that Mitchell waki. I need to have another go at some Japanese-inspired blades sometime 'fore long.

A somewhat obscure blade that I think would be perfect for both combat and brush clearing is the Filipino ginunting.

Filipino Special Forces use it as part of their standard equipment for brush clearing and if needed combat.

Examples from collection:
2011-07-30_22-01-46_295.jpg

The top two blades are what I'm referring to. The black one is pretty much the spec that they use but can be somewhat hard to get hold of. The second is decent quality and easier to get hold but the handle is alittle bit iffy.

Both are around 17-19" blade length and 24-26" overall length.

I've seen a few pics of those before, but you're right, they don't show up as much as some of the other designs.

What, pray tell, is that nifty looking doodad under the kerambit?

[To myself] "You, sir, are a twit!"

Of course. I forgot how funky the sheath carving can get. :)

Ha! Yeah..that's the sheath. Turns the karambit from a nice carry piece into a decorative piece because sheath is a huge chunk of wood (and the ring is alittle large but oh well).

And the ginuntings are definitely one of those you don't see often. I'm a big sword guy and have never seen or heard of those until I started doing Filipino Martial Arts. Course once I saw and used one I just fell in love. Fairly light, well balanced, and more functional than say other filipino bladed weapons like the talibong.

Course lately I seem to have a thing for forward swept blades.

Ha! Yeah..that's the sheath. Turns the karambit from a nice carry piece into a decorative piece because sheath is a huge chunk of wood (and the ring is alittle large but oh well).

And the ginuntings are definitely one of those you don't see often. I'm a big sword guy and have never seen or heard of those until I started doing Filipino Martial Arts. Course once I saw and used one I just fell in love. Fairly light, well balanced, and more functional than say other filipino bladed weapons like the talibong.

Course lately I seem to have a thing for forward swept blades.

Falx falx falx! :D

Back