Practical Swords

Yep, gotta agree with Edwood. I've definitely heard tell of some spec ops folks that carry wakis, although I don't know of any personally. But from some of the articles I've read (no idea how reliable they are of course), it sounds like they might be more common on the battlefield than you might think (not to say that they're common or anything), but if a large combat knife is still considered useful as a combat tool, why not a sword?

And anyone that thinks a short sword can't still be useful should talk to the Gurkhas. A khukuri is the next best thing to a short sword, and they make good use of those... In fact, there was a guy who saved a train from hijackers with a khuk. If that's still practical, why not a short sword?

I heard about the train highjacking incident, amazing story, he was on his on against like 32 armed guys and he killed 8 and injured 13, just retired too. Recieved highest metal he could.

I have spent a lot of time with foreign military personnel and have seen a lot of blades. The only guy I ever met that carried a sword was an Israeli guys that carried a Wally Hayes wakisashi on his back, the guy claimed that he had used it on several occasions, I could see how it would come in handy.

There is a picture on Mr. Hayes web site that I’m almost sure is of the same guy. How knows. But there are a few swords wilder out there.

You can see the handle of it sticking out from this back.

There is also the Hisshou™, designed by James Williams, that i have seen on a few plate carriers as well.

If I was going to deploy, I'd probably want a blade like that (or a big khukuri) on my plate carrier/belt. If you had to dispatch someone quietly or go really up close and personal, a big knife is a damn good way to do it, I'd think.

Good luck on the silent part. From accounts I've heard that's pretty much the opposite of the case.

Wire garrote, perhaps? Get a couple spools, some strong wire or high test fishing line... And many things are going to be pretty noisy if you just smack someone with a knife/shoot them, etc, and don't do anything to control what makes the sound. The main thing is to do it fast, and be close enough that you can control the body as it falls. I'm not sure I'd want to use a khukuri for that purpose (as surprised as you might be to hear me say that), because I'd be inclined to do a stab at the neck, and khuks are not so good at that. But for going toe to toe with somebody if my gun jams and for some reason I can't hit them with it? Absolutely, I'd want a big knife or a wakizashi. Silent takedowns are a whole different story.

wcidkl.jpg

That reminds me--I once locked myself out of my car but had left the window open a crack. I was able to reach through the window with my CS 1908 Indian Cavalry Saber and trip the door unlock switch. :p

Silent takedowns are a whole different story.[/QUOTE]

O.K., I'm not nor I've ever been in the military and might be wrong (those with experience, please, I'd like to hear your opinions), but unless you destroy completely the brain stem, there is no such a thing as a "silent take down". You stab someone and it's going to scream, struggle, etc. When you finally kill him, then his bowels and bladder are going to void and you are going to get "smelly". I think that this is why you use sound suppresors and scopes: to kill from a distance and avoid all these problems. The alternative, with a blade, would be to behead someone and I don't think is that easy.
But as I said, no expert in the field.

Didn't Willam Fairbairn and Rex Applegate teach methods of silent sentry removal with a knife?

- Chris

Here are a couple of swords I have in progress. The larger one is probably a bit much of a sword to be practical (36" of 5/16" S7 :eek:) for brush but it would make cutting a lot of fun.

The smaller one is around 27" long and made from .125" S7 with a full flat grind on both sides. I'm calling it the "Wakichete" because it will be styled along the lines of a wakizashi but it will cut like a heavy duty machete being only 1/8" thick. The S7 is probably the toughest blade steel out there and has about the same edge retention as O1 so I'm thinking it will really be heavy duty and useful as well as good looking!

002mlx.jpg

019zo.jpg

Last edited:
I've made a several wakizashi in the 25" range. I generally use 1/4" A2 or 5160. They are certainly intimidating!

Waki%252520%2525288%252529.JPG

Waki%252520%2525284%252529.JPG

Waki%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

Attachments

• Waki%u0025252520%2525288%252529.JPG
    Waki%u0025252520%2525288%252529.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 16
Have you considered a messer? A sword of this type would likely meet your criteria.

A couple of videos demonstrating messer technique:

[video=youtube;38sVdx7nzhQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38sVdx7nzhQ&list=FL9Vd43ocaFxppnKww47Ggjw& index=32&feature=plpp[/video]

[video=youtube;bWISsk0cy74]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWISsk0cy74&feature=related[/video]

Hey, this thread took a turn for the better. Lovely blades there from some of our craftsmen! @Daniel Fairly, looking forward to seeing more pics of your wakichete. @MitchellKnives, do you ever make one with a guard? And is that back swedge sharpened? Lovely!

Hey, this thread took a turn for the better. Lovely blades there from some of our craftsmen! @Daniel Fairly, looking forward to seeing more pics of your wakichete. @MitchellKnives, do you ever make one with a guard? And is that back swedge sharpened? Lovely!

You've got it... when I get a little closer I'll be sure to post more pics.

That Mitchell Knives Wakizashi is just insane, very clean!

Back