Practical Swords

Oh man, not sure if I want something *that* forward swept. Googled it and man some of those are almost hooks.

A man has to have his limits. For example, kukhris are just not my thing. However, my eye right now is on a falcata type blade....yummy.

Or you could go the extreme opposite and get an Ethiopian shotel. :D

How about I get the best of both worlds and get a kris?

It goes forward AND backwards and then back AGAIN! Oh god, which way? WHICH WAAAAYYYY??

:D

Oh man, not sure if I want something *that* forward swept. Googled it and man some of those are almost hooks.

A man has to have his limits. For example, kukhris are just not my thing. However, my eye right now is on a falcata type blade....yummy.

You don't say anything about size, budget, etc. But, since you said "falcata type", google "Zombie tools". Take a look to the Hellion. I just ordered one.

You don't say anything about size, budget, etc. But, since you said "falcata type", google "Zombie tools". Take a look to the Hellion. I just ordered one.

I have been looking at the zombie tools one. I just bought some other knife stuff so ZT is going to have to wait.

However, I am interested in seeing your impressions. I can't seem to find a lot of first hand experience with them.

I have been looking at the zombie tools one. I just bought some other knife stuff so ZT is going to have to wait.

However, I am interested in seeing your impressions. I can't seem to find a lot of first hand experience with them.

I'm supposed to receive it in 2-3 weeks. I'll let you know when I get it.

I've got this fellow in progress. Sort of barong-like, though it's not necessarily a direct inspiration.

KelpieBlank1.jpg

CIMG9807-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wire garrote, perhaps? Get a couple spools, some strong wire or high test fishing line... And many things are going to be pretty noisy if you just smack someone with a knife/shoot them, etc, and don't do anything to control what makes the sound. The main thing is to do it fast, and be close enough that you can control the body as it falls. I'm not sure I'd want to use a khukuri for that purpose (as surprised as you might be to hear me say that), because I'd be inclined to do a stab at the neck, and khuks are not so good at that. But for going toe to toe with somebody if my gun jams and for some reason I can't hit them with it? Absolutely, I'd want a big knife or a wakizashi. Silent takedowns are a whole different story.

arent garrot wires designed to cut versus choke? (no i dont know that you weren't implying that though)

that is what i have always learned. Use something like cheese wire and it slices through the neck till it hits bone or it stops whenever you stop pulling, whatever comes first

I've got this fellow in progress. Sort of barong-like, though it's not necessarily a direct inspiration.

KelpieBlank1.jpg

CIMG9807-1.jpg

Looks nice, though I have to say with that finger hole in the blade I'd be tempted to try and spin the blade there. And proceed to cut myself.

But I'd still do it!

here is a practical wakizashi i made. made it for a practioner who was going to use it for cutting all day. blade is 1085. going to make another but use L6 instead.
DSC03316.JPG

DSC03318.JPG

DSC03308.JPG

Chris: Is that canvas micarta? I love the contrast between the red ito and the black koshirae. L6 would be sweet!

Chris: Is that canvas micarta? I love the contrast between the red ito and the black koshirae. L6 would be sweet!

Yes, it is indeed canvas. the blade is linen micarta. i am glad you like it! the wrap was resin soaked for complete durability.

arent garrot wires designed to cut versus choke? (no i dont know that you weren't implying that though)

that is what i have always learned. Use something like cheese wire and it slices through the neck till it hits bone or it stops whenever you stop pulling, whatever comes first

Yep. They do tend to cut more than choke. Either way, if you want silent, that's generally one of the more effective ways to go.

aztec.jpg

This one works, if you’re planning on taking prisoners to sacrifice to you God’s.

Did you make that one yourself ed? Seem to recall you were quite handy at making bludgeoning objects... Sweet!

Did you make that one yourself ed? Seem to recall you were quite handy at making bludgeoning objects... Sweet!

Yes I did, I made it from a sledge hammer handle and 2 strips of steel. It hangs in mi office next to the complaint box.

Thanks!

I actually do make a version with a guard!

The swedge on this particular wakizashi is not sharpened, although I can sharpen it if requested.

DSCN2602.JPG

I am interested in learning more about this waki, but i can't pm you. Would you mind messaging me with more infomation about it?

Back