• Raptor - OAL 8 3/16”", Blade 4 1/8’"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (K2) Raptor - OAL 8 3/16”", Blade 4 1/8’"

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • (K) Apache - OAL 8 3/4”", Blade 4 1/4”"

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One other comment I will through out there is more information and marketing related. A while back in another thread, adequacy adequacy suggested it would be nice if you would tell us in your words how each model came about. Information like; when that model was designed?, what primary use(s) was it designed for?, why this overall size and handle/blade shape?, etc. You get the idea. Since you would only be highlighting one model a month, that would be a great time to provide this information without it becoming an overwhelming task to do all at once. As you cycle through various models in future months, you will build up a library of information that will help new and continuing customers alike.

Oh man. Yes. I would love this. Thanks for bringing this up Phil. I still really enjoy reading comments from Chris regarding a blades intended usage, and over time, would love to hear that for each design.

This was especially helpful for me when utilizing my warthog and I'm sure others who plan on purchasing a model will be happy to understand how and why these blades came about.

My 2 cents for whatever they are worth. Nothing to lose here trying for as long as it is enjoyable and profitable to you as a knifemaker. There are plenty of customers and potential buyers who have specific handles they desire or a need to be involved in the decision making process for "their" new knife. Trying more stock options may create more interest for them to try at knives as designed by you the knifemaker. I think it would be a positive experiment for you.

For myself, I have some general preferences, but I enjoy the process of following what you create each week. Some things jump out at me, and I follow their progress more closely.

It is the chase or whatever you want to call it: The suspense of the sale and seeing the results of the page refresh, the disappointment in being too slow to claim a knife yet being happy for the other person excited that did, and the thrill when you do get the one you've been following. It is the more visceral buying experience if you will. That is what gets me. The knives are important, but for some the community around them matters to. If It was just the knives I would have honestly not gone much beyond a Swiss army knife, Mora and a cheapo machete/camp axe and the set of kitchen knives already sitting on my countertop

I like your creativity beyond the scribed patterns and what you as the maker choose to put on a handle. I don't always know what I want, but I love it when I get a glimpse of what you are working on and you show me something I "need" to have....

My 2 cents for whatever they are worth. Nothing to lose here trying for as long as it is enjoyable and profitable to you as a knifemaker. There are plenty of customers and potential buyers who have specific handles they desire or a need to be involved in the decision making process for "their" new knife. Trying more stock options may create more interest for them to try at knives as designed by you the knifemaker. I think it would be a positive experiment for you.

For myself, I have some general preferences, but I enjoy the process of following what you create each week. Some things jump out at me, and I follow their progress more closely.

It is the chase or whatever you want to call it: The suspense of the sale and seeing the results of the page refresh, the disappointment in being too slow to claim a knife yet being happy for the other person excited that did, and the thrill when you do get the one you've been following. It is the more visceral buying experience if you will. That is what gets me. The knives are important, but for some the community around them matters to. If It was just the knives I would have honestly not gone much beyond a Swiss army knife, Mora and a cheapo machete/camp axe and the set of kitchen knives already sitting on my countertop

I like your creativity beyond the scribed patterns and what you as the maker choose to put on a handle. I don't always know what I want, but I love it when I get a glimpse of what you are working on and you show me something I "need" to have....

Well put! Couldn't agree more

I appreciate everyones input so far! I will reply in more detail tomorrow. And start working on a seperate thread with a survey to get an Idea of what model to offer for pre-order first.

All I've had time to do since this thread posted was to try and read the responses but I'm gonna take a few minutes here. Lots of great input so far!

I really like the idea of diversifying by offering more affordable options along with the ability to request specific attributes and also keeping the totally custom maker's-whim sales threads.

I wouldn't like a request thread unlocking deal. What might optimize things most is if there were a type of form with price options and to allow folks to place requests with no delivery date expectation/promise. Then Chris could do what makes the most sense based on production/replication and across models. In other words, if January is Warthogs, February is Apaches, etc. and someone wanted model X, they might have to wait a long time to get to that model's month. By taking any and all requests, Chris might find that he could keep his model groove/replication by doing 4 or 5 of a couple models per month.

The form ought to have model base prices and then prices for options such as steel thickness, SFT vs TT, commando vs 1 stripe vs 2 stripes, swedge, scales (base micarta up to LVA Carbon Fiber maybe), etc.This would let folks decide what they like and what they could afford.

Anyway, any level of this request ability would rock!

Thanks Chris!!

All I've had time to do since this thread posted was to try and read the responses but I'm gonna take a few minutes here. Lots of great input so far!

I really like the idea of diversifying by offering more affordable options along with the ability to request specific attributes and also keeping the totally custom maker's-whim sales threads.

I wouldn't like a request thread unlocking deal. What might optimize things most is if there were a type of form with price options and to allow folks to place requests with no delivery date expectation/promise. Then Chris could do what makes the most sense based on production/replication and across models. In other words, if January is Warthogs, February is Apaches, etc. and someone wanted model X, they might have to wait a long time to get to that model's month. By taking any and all requests, Chris might find that he could keep his model groove/replication by doing 4 or 5 of a couple models per month.

The form ought to have model base prices and then prices for options such as steel thickness, SFT vs TT, commando vs 1 stripe vs 2 stripes, swedge, scales (base micarta up to LVA Carbon Fiber maybe), etc.This would let folks decide what they like and what they could afford.

Thanks Chris!!
Jerry, good thoughts. It would take a long time for me to get an EDU if that was next years April knife. So your saying that it would be open to any current model but to Chris's point, held to a limited amount per month? If I were the 30th person to fill out a form, then I'm looking at 3 months (if the limit per pre-order is 12 for example).

Jerry, good thoughts. It would take a long time for me to get an EDU if that was next years April knife. So your saying that it would be open to any current model but to Chris's point, held to a limited amount per month? If I were the 30th person to fill out a form, then I'm looking at 3 months (if the limit per pre-order is 12 for example).
Mmmmm no, not really. It's Chris' choice and maybe he'll only want to put certain models on there. It would be models for which he offered base prices I guess. After that, if yours was the 30th request, it's still Chris' decision and the first month might be EDUs .. let's say he had a bunch of short EDU stock sitting around.

I'm looking at this thread as a way for him to get input and thoughts so he can decide what he wants to do as a maker, keeping customer satisfaction in mind.

- Jerry

I'm getting to this thread late. A lot of my thoughts have already been stated. Chris, I like the concept of the process and it is certainly worth pursuing.

Mmmmm no, not really. It's Chris' choice and maybe he'll only want to put certain models on there. It would be models for which he offered base prices I guess. After that, if yours was the 30th request, it's still Chris' decision and the first month might be EDUs .. let's say he had a bunch of short EDU stock sitting around.

I'm looking at this thread as a way for him to get input and thoughts so he can decide what he wants to do as a maker, keeping customer satisfaction in mind.

- Jerry
Ok, got it. It will be interesting how Chris puts all this together for sure!!

I like the ideas flowing, guys.

We have to keep in mind that part of the benefit in this for Chris is that if he can do a batch of one model, it streamlines his process because it's all the same. So I think it'll make a big difference that he can decide which model he is making which month. I'm sure materials, preparation, and general popularity will have a lot to do with it.

I like the idea, and being a new customer, it’s been hard to come across certain models I’m interested in. I’d like to see how this turns out.

However, I’ve been part of pre orders before. Some involving full or partial payment. After being burned multiple times, I’m hesitant to prepay for a preorder without knowing the time frame for sure.

Just saying.

I like what I see so far, and Mr Chris, you have a great following and fan base. I’m interested for sure, just maybe a little apprehensive. :)

I like it Chris! I’m in. I also agree the sheath option is a great idea. One last question (and I hope I did not overlook it), how will the thread be presented for us to take the opportunity to enlist on the pre-order option. Will it be an unlocked thread at a specific time and the first (how ever many is offered) gets a spot? Then details follow? Thanks Chris.

As of right now I plan on having a specific time and date to announce with all of the details and expected delivery date and take orders on the pre-order, and unlock at a designated time, if all goes well I would like to eventually transition to a website that can integrate the order platform, and what not but that is way off in the future.

Thanks for elaborating on your idea Chris. A standardized blade choice for you with some limited handle options to appeal to the buyers color preferences sounds like a winning combo. I look forward to seeing what model and options you offer on the first batch.

One other comment I will throw out there is more information and marketing related. A while back in another thread, adequacy adequacy suggested it would be nice if you would tell us in your words how each model came about. Information like; when that model was designed?, what primary use(s) was it designed for?, why this overall size and handle/blade shape?, etc. You get the idea. Since you would only be highlighting one model a month, that would be a great time to provide this information without it becoming an overwhelming task to do all at once. As you cycle through various models in future months, you will build up a library of information that will help new and continuing customers alike.

Good luck with all your endeavors Chris. Exciting times ahead.

Phil

I remember you mentioning it and have had every intention of sitting down and hammering it out, but like you said once I sat down, I had writer's block and the task seemed a bit overwhelming with everything else I am juggling at the moment. I like your Idea and I will incorporate this into my plan, Thank your for your input!

Chris, it's great to see all these responses, and excellent questions. My initial reply was brief and without any questions. That's how it goes in my business. Fortunately just about all my questions and even some I hadn't thought of were brought out. I do have a question or two based on my want for a particular knife that we've briefly talked about.

#1. Will wood, presentation grade and otherwise be included as an option?
#2 Will there be an option for some customization on the sheaths themselves?
#3 This might be too much and probably is, but I have to ask...Would you consider serializing the customs? IE 01, 02, etc

Douglas, I am sure eventually down the road I will over some woods or special materials on a limited basis, for now I would like to keep it a simple as possible until I get into a groove with this.

No customizable options on the sheaths at the moment other than possibly a choice between two different colors, I will be ordering the sheaths based on who wants what and the customer will purchase the sheath from me directly. The sheaths will be basic sheaths to begin with.

At the moment this would complicate things a little too much, I would have to order separate stencils for each serial number, and only use it once, this is not cost effective for me at them moment and would no doubt turn into a nightmare to keep it organized. In the future I would like to invest in a laser engraver and this would not be a problem anymore!

Oh man. Yes. I would love this. Thanks for bringing this up Phil. I still really enjoy reading comments from Chris regarding a blades intended usage, and over time, would love to hear that for each design.

This was especially helpful for me when utilizing my warthog and I'm sure others who plan on purchasing a model will be happy to understand how and why these blades came about.

I plan on getting on this once I get my move completed, unfortunately it has fallen low on the priority list. I do plan on taking Phil up on his Idea so I will chip at it slowly until I find the time to dedicate to knocking it out.

Will sheaths only be available with knife purchase? I'd be interested in a sheath for my Warthog, if that model is chosen as a pre-order knife, and I'd like to see what you offer.

For now yes, but eventually once things get moving I would like to keep a few basic sheath options in stock for you guys to purchase directly from me.

Thanks Danny, I am excited about giving it a try and I think it will benefit us all.

I can relate to your sentiment about following my creative output, part of why I do what I do, don't worry I and not planning on converting completely over to just taking pre-orders. If that was all I did I know it would get old fast.

I plan on doing one preorder a month to begin with, and the other half of the month will be for me to make what I want how I want so there will be the best of both worlds there. I like and appreciate the fact that you guys like my choices for the most part and enjoy watching my creative process.

Thanks Chris!!

Jerry,

I would like to eventually move in that direction, but for know to keep things simple I am going to eliminate as many variable on my part as possible while still maintaining some flexibility for people to choose what they want based on the current model offer and material availability, eventually I plan on transitioning to a website platform that would have a static and interactive platform to choose your model and variation. I have looked around and there seems to be some websites that help facilitate this along with invoicing, organization and shipping. But this is a little ways off and want to keep things simple until I can figure out what works best for everyone including me.

Part of the reason of keeping the number limited is to allow a quick turn around time, and not to build up a list so long that it seems never ending. I like setting goals and reaching them but not if the goal seems to far away or out of reach. For the first couple of pre orders I plan on keeping it as simple as possible.

Thank you for your input.

I am going to try and find a way to avoid this if at all possible, keep in mind that this will also help me determine the demand for one given model, and if the demand supersedes thethe allotted number I have still allowed myself room to offer a few of a particular model at the end of the month like the traditional sales thread I have been doing. I am going to tr my best to keep everyone satisfied and not waiting to long.

- Jerry

You are pretty close on your assumption there,
Base handle materials to start but not necessarily base model and in no tapered tang and what not. NO bolsters to start with for sure, maybe later on. trying to keep thing simple to start with.
Let's say for instance I do for discussion's sake, EDU's the first month I would cut the list off at the allotted number, if there is a huge demand for one particular model, I can alway adapt, one benefit to being a one man show the ship is easy to turn around or change direction. I will do my best to adapt and accommodate everyone to the best of my ability. I know that inevitably, someone will lose out or have to wait a little longer than they want, but I think this idea will help mitigate a lot of that.

Once I get moved into the new location and get rocking and rolling on my own, I am planning on exploring the idea of bring someone in to help me out and hopefully up the production, but I do not have plans to grow larger than one or two additional people besides myself.

I like the ideas flowing, guys.

We have to keep in mind that part of the benefit in this for Chris is that if he can do a batch of one model, it streamlines his process because it's all the same. So I think it'll make a big difference that he can decide which model he is making which month. I'm sure materials, preparation, and general popularity will have a lot to do with it.

You have hit the nail on the head Ryan, but I will also take into account customer demand as well.

Thank you everyone for all your feedback and for keeping the discussion going, the more I hear you guy's thought and opinions the better I can plan on making this work for everyone!

I like the idea, and being a new customer, it’s been hard to come across certain models I’m interested in. I’d like to see how this turns out.

However, I’ve been part of pre orders before. Some involving full or partial payment. After being burned multiple times, I’m hesitant to prepay for a preorder without knowing the time frame for sure.

Just saying.

I like what I see so far, and Mr Chris, you have a great following and fan base. I’m interested for sure, just maybe a little apprehensive. :)

Do not worry about this please, The deposit is for me to make sure people are serious and do not change their mind on a whim and leave me hanging, I know the vast majority of you guys are good on your orders, but I have had a handful of people in the past disappear on me once their work was completed. It also helps me out with freeing up capital to get more materials in for the next batch for a quicker turn around, this also guarantees your spot, and an invoice will be created and sent to you showing your deposit paid with the remaining outstanding balance due when completed, The Idea around keeping the number small is to have a quick turn around time. I cannot guarantee a specific date,I will however guarantee and estimated completion date, 2-3 weeks is my goal for each pre-order from time of pre-order to delivery. I will dedicate a work in progress thread so you can follow the progress of your build.

Thanks Chris for all the responses to all our questions, concerns, suggestions, etc. I'm sure that only took most of your afternoon. We appreciate it and what you do. Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition!

Back