Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

I've been getting my butt kicked lately. It's been raining a lot lately and that makes work truly miserable. I am out in it getting soaked for 12 hours a day. That and this place has leaked for years.
I finally got the leaks fixed, got the carpet dried out and was happy. Then, sitting here one night I hear, drip. Drip. Drip.
Dangit. Wait, It's not raining. Uhoh.
The water heater was shot. Great, if you've ever had an RV you know what that means. No room to work, a ton of work and a really expensive unit. The local shop quoted me 920 bucks. I got one online for half that and after waiting for it to get here 3 more days of fighting to make the plumbing work. I got home from work tonight and put the final touches on it and had a wonderful HOT shower. Finally.
Oh yeah, the harmonic balancer flew of the car's engine Monday morning...

I've been getting my butt kicked lately. It's been raining a lot lately and that makes work truly miserable. I am out in it getting soaked for 12 hours a day. That and this place has leaked for years.
I finally got the leaks fixed, got the carpet dried out and was happy. Then, sitting here one night I hear, drip. Drip. Drip.
The water heater was shot. Great, if you've ever had an RV you know what that means. No room to work, a ton of work and a really expensive unit. The local shop quoted me 920 bucks. I got one online for half that and after waiting for it to get here 3 more days of fighting to make the plumbing work. I got home from work tonight and put the final touches on it and had a wonderful HOT shower. Finally.
Dang, Mack! Hope tomorrow is a better day!
Hadn't changed out the hot water heater in ours, but the fridge kept quitting everytime we went out. Kept taking it in, and they couldn't find anything. Finally quit one trip, wouldn't work on gas or electric. Took it in again, told them fix it this time, I'll leave it till you do! Fortunately, we had the extended warranty, they changed out the fridge inside and the gas compressor outside.
But you are right, a real booger to work on anything in them.

Dang, Mack! Hope tomorrow is a better day!
Hadn't changed out the hot water heater in ours, but the fridge kept quitting everytime we went out. Kept taking it in, and they couldn't find anything. Finally quit one trip, wouldn't work on gas or electric. Took it in again, told them fix it this time, I'll leave it till you do! Fortunately, we had the extended warranty, they changed out the fridge inside and the gas compressor outside.
But you are right, a real booger to work on anything in them.
One of the "leaks" that had driven Karen nuts for years I just fixed a few weeks ago. When it rains here there is way too much moisture in the air for the evaporater to work properly so the fridge drains into the cabinet under it and soaks the carpet. A quick hose connection routed outside and no more "leak". Ughhhhh.

That sucks, Mack.

My mother has a travel trailer that stays put on a camp site. It has had some lines freeze over the years and I've been the lucky one that gets to fix it.

As for my week, I struck out at the Danner store. It was par for the course. They had the boots I wanted on the 'scratch & dent' shelf but not in my size in black. The price difference between the seconds and the price online is only $23 so I didn't really miss out. It was worth $23 to try them on and verify the size I need.

I'm back home in IL now and can't wait to sleep in my own bed. My week went like this:

Saturday: drive from IL to southeast MI so the wife can spend the week with her sister and see out kids.
Sunday: fly from Detroit Metro to Portland, OR with a short stop in Minneapolis, MN. Flight left late so I missed the connector. No flights until Monday. Got to a hotel around 9PM.
Monday: fly from Minneapolis to Los Angeles. Get connector and make it to Portland by 5PM. Go to baggage claim to find that my luggage never left LA.
Tuesday: 1 AM I get the call that my bag was delivered to the hotel so I don't have to wear the same socks and underwear for three days.

Spent the week in Vancouver, WA with a miserable, angry individual that was untrainable.

Friday: get the 10:50 PM red eye to Atlanta, GA hoping to sleep the full four hours. Unfortunately the guy in the seat next to me thought he was on the marrakesh express or some other overcrowded train through a third world country and tried to sleep on top of me.
Saturday: land in Atlanta and run from the E terminal to the train to the A terminal to get to my gate with seconds to spare. Land at 9AM on three hours of sleep. Napped until 1 at sister-in-law's house.
Sunday: bring the trip full circle with a drive from Michigan to home. Made it it 4.5 hours.

Okay, so this was the first and a not so successful attempt at cable Damascus. Just couldn't get the forge hot enough. So............. new forge build/design in process, old forge had had too big of a chamber and wasn't very efficient. New build will be a third of the size of the old one and better insulated.
OydsSdP.jpg

Okay, so this was the first and a not so successful attempt at cable Damascus. Just couldn't get the forge hot enough. So............. new forge build/design in process, old forge had had too big of a chamber and wasn't very efficient. New build will be a third of the size of the old one and better insulated.
OydsSdP.jpg
That's gonna be cool Scott, does all the gunk burn out, I'm guessing a fluxless weld? That's gotta be a fun rabbit hole.

Kind of an odd post but I had to post this nickel. Nothing special, just a real nice detailed patina.

Unfiltered
20200316_163032-01.jpeg
Instagrammaphonied which in this case is actually more what it looks like in person.
IMG_20200316_182055_243.jpg

Last edited:
That's gonna be cool Scott, does all the gunk burn out, I'm guessing a fluxless weld? That's gotta be a fun rabbit hole.

Kind of an odd post but I had to post this nickel. Nothing special, just a real nice detailed patina.

Unfiltered
View attachment 1304070
Instagrammaphonied which kn his case is actually more what it looks like in person.
View attachment 1304092
Yes, I think with the new forge design it's gonna work. I did use flux (Borax) it did burn the gunk of it and got some of it to weld just not the outside strands. I have a bunch more cable to tinker with and confident I'll make this work. Hopefully I'll get the forge finished this weekend. It's not like I'm going anywhere. Our Governor basically shut the state down today including restaurants, bars and all non essential businesses until the end of the month.

OydsSdP.jpg
I've been ogling Ariel Salaverria's cabla damascus blades for years.
http://www.aescustomknives.com/
I'll be watching closely to see what you come up with. They fascinate me.

Long story short, this watch started running crazy fast a few years ago and I tore it apart this week and and got it running right. I just realized the blue face and leather band match my Serrano.
View attachment 1313816

Nicely done. The last time I tried to tinker with a watch, it didn't turn out so well. Definitely a different animal versus tinkering with a car or lawnmower...

Nicely done. The last time I tried to tinker with a watch, it didn't turn out so well. Definitely a different animal versus tinkering with a car or lawnmower...

Yeah I don't think I'd even try fixing something so precise with so many tiny parts...all I can think is I would hear "sproing" and it would be all over!

Yeah I don't think I'd even try fixing something so precise with so many tiny parts...all I can think is I would hear "sproing" and it would be all over!

Pretty much, man. If I remember correctly, after I had mine all apart and then put together, I was missing pieces... Who knows where they bounced off too - I'm just glad it was an inexpensive watch, a relic of my childhood.

It started running crazy fast out of the blue a couple of years ago, thought for sure I had magnetized while handsanding blades or something. Demagnetizing didn't fix it and after a quick search found out that there's a way to set the "speed" with a tiny adjustment lever to fiddle with. The hour hand was way off too so I had to pull the crown(?) and take the whole movement out, that was nerve racking but so far my redneck fiddling has worked out.

Back