Queen Cutlery Company Closes

Like that one Jeff! and I have to say, like the absence of the EO notch, particularly on a swell end /Teardrop style.

Thanks, Will, I've had EOs but generally prefer frames without one. I feel they can interfere with both the lines and the grip.

LNULULW.jpg

This is practically in my back yard, well 300 miles give or take. 6 hours by car 5 maybe less by motorcycle. I’m gonna be sorry I missed this one. Maybe I can bid by phone. Anyone have a web address for an auction catalog?

I agree this is tragic. I really wanted to see them make it when the Daniels family took over. The first of their knives produced were promising.

I just hate to see an old cutlery firm with quality knife close shop and sell the assets. That said, it’s gonna happen just like it did with Schrade in ‘04, I missed that auction and am sorry I did. I woulda liked to have a piece of their history in some form.

I don’t know what’s to become the American Knife industry but I’d start pickin’ up them old prepared Queens/SM knives before even those become scarce and cost a fortune.

This is like hearing about the extinction of a species, a sombre day indeed:(

I'm lucky to have quite a few Queens and the D2 Carved Stag Bones are very well made knives indeed, sadly towards the end they were making some pitiful stuff by comparison.

This auction is really in my back yard, only 20 minute drive away. I'm going Friday for the "pre-auction" to survey all the potential items. And I'll be there Saturday to bid if I find anything worth bidding on. From what I heard, a lot of "choice items" have already come up missing during the 12 months that the bank took over ownership of the building and contents. This sale is mostly focused on all the machinery, and chairs, desks, heating/AC units, etc. The only knives left are unassembed or 1/2 finished pieces.

Since Queen closed it's doors, I've often wondered what Mr. Daniel's future plans were, (if any), in continuing with the knife world. A slither of hope was in me that he would somehow be able to do a last minute saving of Queen, but that now seems impossible.
I also now wonder where the Queen/Schatt & Morgan name has wound up. Wondering if it could soon be showing up on knives being made overseas, (that would be terrible, imo).
Anyhow, the selling off of the equipment and such, likely means the entire company's fate has been legally finalized, so I guess much of that info will finally start trickling out.
I had hoped that if the Daniels family could not save Queen/S&M, that the GEC firm would invest in making it a division of their own firm... But just more wishful thinking and hoping on my part.
It's tough seeing so many US made traditional knife companies continuing to go DoDo :(

Well, a little bird says that Bluegrass Cutlery out of Southern Ohio was able to buy nearly all machines/equipment/inventory from the Queen bankruptcy auction, and also acquired the S&M trademark, and that the factory should be up and running, making traditional knives again very soon. The first release S&M knives should be available in 2020 some time. I think this is great and exciting! The historic US company is still US located, and the old machines will be churning out knives once again!

Well, a little bird says that Bluegrass Cutlery out of Southern Ohio was able to buy nearly all machines/equipment/inventory from the Queen bankruptcy auction, and also acquired the S&M trademark, and that the factory should be up and running, making traditional knives again very soon. The first release S&M knives should be available in 2020 some time. I think this is great and exciting! The historic US company is still US located, and the old machines will be churning out knives once again!

This is great news indeed.
Many of us will be thrilled to hear this.

Back