Random Thought Thread

0tU0Quq.jpg

20190314_132305.jpg

I'm sawing up some burlap Micarta now for the tomorrow's Field Knife sale. Something people need to realize is that burlap is used for handle scales, and potato sacks. This is not edge cut antique Micarta there are imperfections in this material. One should not order this if they can't handle a few random weird spots, there's not much we can do about it.

View attachment 1091339

I'm sawing up some burlap Micarta now for the tomorrow's Field Knife sale. Something people need to realize is that burlap is used for handle scales, and potato sacks. This is not edge cut antique Micarta there are imperfections in this material. One should not order this if they can't handle a few random weird spots, there's not much we can do about it.
You call them weird spots, I call them character. ;)
They look great!!!

View attachment 1091339

I have also discovered that it's an easier material to mar / chip / damage as opposed to your canvas micarta. I didn't accidentally drop it to find this out the hard way but I'm very resourceful at being clumsy in many other ways :)

ETA: not a criticism but merely an observation based on my boneheaded ways; for me that canvas micarta which you offer as base model is one tough hombre for user CPKs and heckuva a great deal :thumbsup:

Last edited:
View attachment 1091339

Nice to have the proper terminology. When ordering antique, I ask for freaky streaky. Now,when getting burlap, I know to ask for random weird.

The canvas Micarta we offer for scales is, overall, the best material available for the application. The fact that it happens to be inexpensive is icing on the cake and one should not mistake that as meaning it is in any way inferior. the other materials are niche items that either have certain tactile qualities or appearance, but you can't beat the canvas micarta overall.

I have also discovered that it's an easier material to mar / chip / damage as opposed to your canvas micarta. I didn't accidentally drop it to find this out the hard way but I'm very resourceful at being clumsy in many other ways :)

ETA: not a criticism but merely an observation based on my boneheaded ways; for me that canvas micarta which you offer as base model is one tough hombre for user CPKs and heckuva a great deal :thumbsup:
Nathan puts this in every Pre-order-Edge-Cut Antique Micarta - It is quality material that machines well, polishes evenly and is more thoroughly resin impregnated and harder than material I can find available today:thumbsup:

Nathan puts this in every Pre-order-Edge-Cut Antique Micarta - It is quality material that machines well, polishes evenly and is more thoroughly resin impregnated and harder than material I can find available today:thumbsup:

Most of my handle scales for the collector ones are antique-edgecut. I love that stuff and I treat them very gently. To me, they both look and feel very tough like you have highlighted, but I rather not challenge them with my own special sauce of clumsiness.

I chose burlap with the purpose to use plus I preferred the looks but then I found out that for me, they may not be as tough as the canvas micarta. This was just a user based observation which some folks may find to be helpful but not everyone is as moronic as me :rolleyes:

Nah...it's a non-rotating part so it's just some GE proprietary cracked out steel alloy of some sort...

You ever have to tune the VIGV linkages on one of those? Yeesh!! Between that, and the BOV controls, it's enough to make you have nightmares.

Rolls-Royce simplified things, not better or worse, just different. Really loud booms when the hydraulics fail and they swing full shut on load. I've never been around when the rotating bits came backwards out the front and the Howmet splattered against the front plenum wall, but I have swept up the pieces. We called it a corn-cob. Good times.

not only is the edge cut antique Micarta an interesting material to look at, it has a wonderful tactile quality and is the most durable material we offer. This is, unfortunately, one of those times where they really don't make it like they used to. The black and natural canvas Micarta that we use from Acculam is very good modern made in America material, but Westinghouse was the best. I wish they still made it.

Our standard offerings are the best materials available today. If there were better modern alternatives available I would be using them. While I think that the Westinghouse Micarta was probably the best ever made many of the modern alternatives are still quite good.

Last edited:
What would it take to get you to try some black paper micarta from Jantz?

not only is the edge cut antique Micarta an interesting material to look at, it has a wonderful tactile quality and is the most durable material we offer. This is, unfortunately, one of those times where they really don't make it like they used to. The black and natural canvas Micarta that we use from Acculam is very good modern made in America material, but Westinghouse was the best. I wish they still made it.

Our standard offerings are the best materials available today. If there were better modern alternatives available I would be using them. While I think that the Westinghouse Micarta was probably the best ever made many of the modern alternatives are still quite good.

Back