Random Thought Thread

I have one simple comment in that GKD thread about the two knives.

A comment I will reserve for here is that I feel the brand ethic I see also plays into my personal decision on a knife. Here we get a certain vibe. Every time I go look around the other sub forum I get the feeling I walked in on a bunch of drunken pirates. The whole "let's drink!" theme just isn't my jam and I've never hung out long enough to find out too much more.

Here? I like it here. I'll stay here. I prefer evil genius over drunk pirate.
There's something to be said for that, and there's nothing wrong with your opinion. Some of the "drunk pirate" thing is schtick, some of it isn't. They are good folks though, there's a reason there's a fair amount of overlap in the customer base and forumites.

that black knives matter?
All knives matter.

Some matter more than others.

5i4nrx.jpg

Gas or liquid fuel?
Does is all flame out at once or does one can go first?

Have you ever seen a turbine disk run for very long without one or two cans lit? It's... Dynamic.
Natural gas...we've only got 2 flame detectors and I don't recall getting a mismatch alarm or a T48 spread alarm before flameout. I was more concerned about making sure emissions stayed in compliance than anything else😂

Natural gas...we've only got 2 flame detectors and I don't recall getting a mismatch alarm or a T48 spread alarm before flameout. I was more concerned about making sure emissions stayed in compliance than anything else😂
I would not have guessed 6 psig gas would ever work. P3 at idle is still what, 150 psig? I'd love to see the data trace.

There must be crossover tubes?

The gas fired RR turbine's with the DLE technology had external combustion cans and there were 17 T6 thermocouples. We shut down on spread, which happened if we lost gas pressure below 250 psig (or thereabouts).

I used to nerd out on this stuff. It was my job.

(Clearly I am no longer a nerd)

Random fun fact: a GE LM6000 gas turbine will continue running with falling fuel pressure all the way down to 7psi, usual pressure is in the 600psi range🤣

D'oh!!! That IS rather impressive though! :cool:

Gas or liquid fuel?
Does is all flame out at once or does one can go first?

Have you ever seen a turbine disk run for very long without one or two cans lit? It's... Dynamic.

Dynamic loading on a turbine compressor face is baaaaad news. :eek:

I would not have guessed 6 psig gas would ever work. P3 at idle is still what, 150 psig? I'd love to see the data trace.

There must be crossover tubes?

The gas fired RR turbine's with the DLE technology had external combustion cans and there were 17 T6 thermocouples. We shut down on spread, which happened if we lost gas pressure below 250 psig (or thereabouts).

I used to nerd out on this stuff. It was my job.

(Clearly I am no longer a nerd)

Propulsion world? Can you give a little detail, if you don't mind my being a little nosey? (PM works if you prefer.) I'm an aero guy...

(Once a nerd, always a nerd... ;))

D'oh!!! That IS rather impressive though! :cool:

Dynamic loading on a turbine compressor face is baaaaad news. :eek:

Propulsion world? Can you give a little detail, if you don't mind my being a little nosey? (PM works if you prefer.) I'm an aero guy...

(Once a nerd, always a nerd... ;))
I was a aftermarket support engineer for Rolls-Royce for many years. Industrial, so worked here and there (meaning all over the world) on gen sets and compression packages. Off shore and on shore. Had a few year stint in their fuel cell group. Last couple years I ran their gas turbine test center in Mt. Vernon, OH. Before the Siemens buy out.

I was a aftermarket support engineer for Rolls-Royce for many years. Industrial, so worked here and there (meaning all over the world) on gen sets and compression packages. Off shore and on shore. Had a few year stint in their fuel cell group. Last couple years I ran their gas turbine test center in Mt. Vernon, OH. Before the Siemens buy out.
:cool: I'm primarily a wind tunnel test engineer, but I run CFD and do some other aero analysis here and there as well. Did a little bit of turbine inlet and nozzle design and testing back about 17 years ago. I'm in the far southwest end of the Denver metro area, I think I read you're somewhere here too?

:cool: I'm primarily a wind tunnel test engineer, but I run CFD and do some other aero analysis here and there as well. Did a little bit of turbine inlet and nozzle design and testing back about 17 years ago. I'm in the far southwest end of the Denver metro area, I think I read you're somewhere here too?
I am. Arvada/Westminster.

Send me a note at inrangedesign{a}gmail(dawtcomm)

Back