Really...

Which blade is better in YOUR opinion?

• Black

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Polished (Aka silver)

Votes: 111 83.5%

• Total voters
I recommend you go with the Kershaw Atmos or Kershaw Fraxion, whether you want a silver or black blade. The good thing about the fraxion is it is a black stonewashed blade which means it will hold up better than a regular black coated blade. Both knives also run on kvt bearings like the high end ZT knives so you will get a smooth manual flipping action like a ZT for only around $30.

I recommend the manual Kershaw flippers on kvt bearings because the spring assisted are known to break the torsion bars if you flip them open a lot. The Atmos and Fraxtion are 2 of the best knives you're gonna get for your money and they are like a ZT just made with cheaper steel and handle material. They are also at 3" or under which your parents shouldn't have a problem with. You can't go wrong with either and they are great knives for around $30.
But here again, the blade is 8Cr13MoV, not VG-10.

Would it be better to get a 8Cr13MoV blade first, so I can sort of get an idea for it? Or get the a knife with a VG-10 blade?

Both the Atmos and the Fraxin look nice...

Boru13 Boru13 , I will have to talk to my parents both at the same time, when my dad gets back on Wednesday. (About the SAK)

Sorry for the wait...

Would it be better to get a 8Cr13MoV blade first, so I can sort of get an idea for it? Or get the a knife with a VG-10 blade?

Boru13 Boru13 , I will have to talk to my parents both at the same time, when my dad gets back on Wednesday. (About the SAK)

Sorry for the wait...

VG-10 is obviously better but you're gonna pay at least double the price. If you're set on VG-10 there is also Bohler N690, which is a similar steel. Kizer offers some knives in that steel. I highly recommend checking out the Kizer Vanguard Dukes if you want to spend over $60. It is a solid all around knife and probably has the best manual flipper action you're going to find for the price.

The older Kizer Vanguard Dukes was made with VG-10 so you can probably find 1 on ebay or maybe even on here. Kizer switched from VG-10 to Bohler N690 and some think it's a minor upgrade. I really don't know which steel is better.

Somebody has a brand new Kizer Vanguard Dukes on Ebay for $55 plus free shipping. They also have 100% positive feedback. It's a really good deal. The link is below.

<removed non-supporting vendor link>

Last edited by a moderator:
VG-10 ...better steel and it’s a breeze to sharpen.
A bit of advice, and I think I mentioned it earlier, I’d avoid D2. It can be a bitch to sharpen for the less experienced.

Yep. D2 takes a terrible edge and holds it forever.

I’ve had some D2 take a wicked sharp edge, but it takes finesse. Lots of stropping.

You've already got a knife in 7Cr17. In my experience, the edge retention of 8Cr13Mov can be a little better but it's still in the same ballpark. The issue is that there are knives available in steels that are lot better for around the same price or a little more. That's what I mean about 8Cr13Mov being hard to justify in the current market. Here are a few examples:

Acuto 440 - A decent Japanese steel that gets used in Kizer's Tangram line of knives. It has good corrosion resistance and holds a nice edge. The Tangram Santa Fe is my favorite knife under $30. It's a great cutter and the cheapest knife with a permanent spot in my EDC rotation. For the performance I get out of it, I don't know of a better bargain.

14C28N - This Swedish steel was designed for use in Kershaw knives. It is a solid performer with decent corrosion resistance. It is one of the most respected budget steels. Ruike and Real Steel both offer competitively priced knives in this steel. Here are all the sub-$50 14C28N knives at BladeHQ:

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Manual-Knives--45#/filter:blade_material:14C28N/filter:price:*:50

9Cr18Mov - The best of the commonly used Chinese stainless steels in that series. With a good heat treatment, this steel can be on par with 14C28N. We already talked about the Civivi knives in this steel. The Baklash would be my go-to recommendation. The only fixed blade in my EDC rotation is a Real Steel Receptor in this steel.

All three of those represent a nice step up from 8Cr13Mov. VG-10 can be a step up from these but the difference seems smaller.

Upon thinking more, I think (if my parents let me) I will receive the SAK knife from Boru13 Boru13 , and not get the Spyderco on.

I really don’t need a knife like the ones I was looking at, and a SAK knife would suit me very well.

Of course, I still have to convince my parents to let me receive it... ;)

If your parents let you have it, do come back and let us know how you like it. I hope you will enjoy it as much as many of us do.

Upon thinking more, I think (if my parents let me) I will receive the SAK knife from Boru13 Boru13 , and not get the Spyderco on.

I really don’t need a knife like the ones I was looking at, and a SAK knife would suit me very well.

That's not a bad idea. Want and need are different things. It's a good idea to start small with your parents' permission. Let them see you being consistently helpful and responsible with that SAK. (I'd still recommend trying to bond with your father over some good ol' fashioned tool use if possible.) Spend some time learning to use the different tools on the SAK. Use the blade until it needs sharpening and practice your sharpening skills. :)

Maybe revisit this issue in a few months. Black Friday/Cyber Monday is a good time for knife shopping. Consider some of the "budget gems", such as the Civivi knives, that deliver great performance for a low cost. The beauty of being young is that you have time to explore. Enjoy it!

I will ask! However... I am not a golden member so I can’t trade? Or can I?

You're not trading anything, I'm gifting it to you if you'd like to have it and with your parents permission of course.

A little off topic...but YAY!! For two things. A newer member who read the rules, and Boru for his outstanding offer. :)
Love this place!

Good decision. I hope your parents agree

Wow! Thanks man!

I’m not sure when I will get both of them together to talk, but it probably won’t be until the end of this week.

Would it be to greedy to still accept the SAK from Boru13 Boru13 ? Both seem like great knives. :)

Man I love this place, so friendly. :thumbsup:

Back