Really...

Which blade is better in YOUR opinion?

• Black

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Polished (Aka silver)

Votes: 111 83.5%

• Total voters
Hey guys, what’s up!

I have been looking for a good tactical knife/outdoor knife. I saw this one and I really like it: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-SRK-Search-Rescue-Fixed--52053

Any experience with this? I want to be a Navy SEAL when I get older and they issue these, so I want it, lol.

It's pretty nice. I like the recon tanto better, but I'm a tanto guy. All of the cold steel fixed blades are darn good. The outdoorsman is SO nice. It's a thing of beauty.

Hey guys, what’s up!

I have been looking for a good tactical knife/outdoor knife. I saw this one and I really like it: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-SRK-Search-Rescue-Fixed--52053

Any experience with this? I want to be a Navy SEAL when I get older and they issue these, so I want it, lol.
I don’t have the SRK, but I do have the similarly sized Recon Tanto. Sharp out of the box, good balance, nice grippy scales. If you’re not a fan of tanto tips, the SRK would be a better choice. I also recommend checking out the SRK-C if you would prefer the shorter 5” blade for bushcrafty stuff.

I don’t have the SRK, but I do have the similarly sized Recon Tanto. Sharp out of the box, good balance, nice grippy scales. If you’re not a fan of tanto tips, the SRK would be a better choice. I also recommend checking out the SRK-C if you would prefer the shorter 5” blade for bushcrafty stuff.
Seems like it would hold up tp what I'm wanting to do, unlike some of the cheaper fixed blades I have. Those are flimsy to say the least and I'm afraid to use them except for super small tasks.

Anyway, the SRK may be my next fixed blade, but I will need to save for it - half of what I make goes to savings, but not before tithe. Then I split the rest up into other category's. (Sort of like a mini budget)

Seems like it would hold up tp what I'm wanting to do, unlike some of the cheaper fixed blades I have. Those are flimsy to say the least and I'm afraid to use them except for super small tasks.

Anyway, the SRK may be my next fixed blade, but I will need to save for it - half of what I make goes to savings, but not before tithe. Then I split the rest up into other category's. (Sort of like a mini budget)

Good to see that you are learning how to take care of money and budget. :thumbsup:

Yeah no one would call the SRK flimsy. I have one of the old Carbon V models and it's tough as nails.

I just got an srk, couldn't pass it up at $39 on the big river site! Haven't used it for anything, but it definitely feels nice, good sharp edge out of the box (although I did put it to the extra fine diamond stone for a little more oomph) and I don't think the sheath is that bad. People say it dulls the blade, and I'm sure it can due to it being fiberglass reinforced plastic, but if you take it out and put it back carefully it seems to do fine. Haven't noticed any edge dulling yet. But I'm sure there are better options out there, just have to do a search.

Other blades to look at are the Kabar Becker models. I have a BK2 and Bk10 and they're both exceptional. Sheaths are serviceable. Also the Kabar Dogs Head is pretty nice as well and a proven design. These are all more expensive than the srk but you can find deals from time to time.

It’s a good starting fixed blade. Check out the SRK-C too! It’s cheaper by a bit I think and I personally think the shorter 5” blade suits the design better.

If you’re looking for a brand with decent factory sheaths, check out ESEE knives. For your purposes, the ESEE 5 looks like the way to go but their other models have solid reps as well. ESEE knives aren’t exactly cheap, but they have the best warranty in the business and you can pass ‘em to your grandkids if you take care of them.

Oh, another decently priced tanky brand worth checking out is Becker, but sadly I don’t own one yet. I’m sure our resident Beckerheads here would be glad to help you out.

Are there any other brands of sheaths that would fit? Someone mentioned the stealth being trash...

I think I may go with the SRK-C, I mean it’s not like I’m going to use it as a combat knife, lol. Just working and in woods and such. :thumbsup:

The only complaint I've heard about the Secure-Ex sheaths is that they can dull the blade due to the fiberglass. But CS claims they addressed this issue a few years ago by adding more clearance inside to help reduce edge contact. Problem is there isn't really a way to tell the new from old, so you could get old stock. But if you get the SRK-C, I think it's a new enough model to have missed that whole sheath dulling issue.

There are also many talented kydex and leather benders here on the forums that could probably help you out... I'd imagine at a price even a young man such as yourself could afford.

The only complaint I've heard about the Secure-Ex sheaths is that they can dull the blade due to the fiberglass. But CS claims they addressed this issue a few years ago by adding more clearance inside to help reduce edge contact. Problem is there isn't really a way to tell the new from old, so you could get old stock. But if you get the SRK-C, I think it's a new enough model to have missed that whole sheath dulling issue.

I have been messing around with my new srk a bit, no dulling that I can tell. I think they are good to go honestly. I'm sure I can dull it, but if you're mindful of how you jam the knife in the sheath you should be fine. Just like with the BK2, make sure you don't draw the edge against the sheath and you're fine. It's a little annoying but not a big deal really imo.

And yes, Beckers are awesome. My bk2 is simply a beast, but i did convex the edge to make it more slicey. It's too thick to be truly slicey, but I'd trust my life to it. My bk10 is thinner and a better knife I think, but the 2 is just... Indestructible. I need a bk7 too... Theyre just awesome blades.

I have been messing around with my new srk a bit, no dulling that I can tell. I think they are good to go honestly. I'm sure I can dull it, but if you're mindful of how you jam the knife in the sheath you should be fine. Just like with the BK2, make sure you don't draw the edge against the sheath and you're fine. It's a little annoying but not a big deal really imo.

And yes, Beckers are awesome. My bk2 is simply a beast, but i did convex the edge to make it more slicey. It's too thick to be truly slicey, but I'd trust my life to it. My bk10 is thinner and a better knife I think, but the 2 is just... Indestructible. I need a bk7 too... Theyre just awesome blades.
Just looked at the bk2, that thing looks like a BEAST. Would that be a better choice over the SRK and does it have a better sheath?

Just looked at the bk2, that thing looks like a BEAST. Would that be a better choice over the SRK and does it have a better sheath?

Depends. The srk will be a better knife, the bk2 a better destruction tool. Sheaths are about equal. Both will do a lot of work. The srk is cheaper. I like having both lol! Also have a BK10, which is a better knife than a BK2 (thinner stock). Sheath is usable, but not great. Also have a bk7 coming tomorrow...

I have an addiction! The only cure is more Kabars!

The BK9 is also worth looking into. Basically the smallest “viable” chopper you can have. You can still hack stuff with the SRK or Recon Tanto but they kinda lack mass for the job.

I've cut myself just as much with short knives as I have large knives. Over the years I have learned how to be safe using a knife. Any knife, any size. I had to learn the hard way, growing up. But I still have all of my fingers, and some cool scars to show for it.

A short knife will not make you any safer. The safety lies between your ears.

With that said, there are plenty of awesome budget friendly knives around that 3 inch mark.

Back