Really...

Which blade is better in YOUR opinion?

• Black

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Polished (Aka silver)

Votes: 111 83.5%

• Total voters
I'd probably go to jail for what I did to Cold Steel's SRK and Recon Tanto back in the day. Fun times.

They can really take a pounding.

If I get another one, I'll get the SRK-C.

The only weak point I can think of for the srk is the tip. I watched a video of a dummy stabbing it into a frozen tree trunk... It broke. Well, duh? Don't fault the tool for user error. It's a 5mm thick blade with a slight hollow grind... I think it's tough enough for most anything.

Really need to go test out the sk5.

I was cutting open a new washer (box) yesterday and when I pull my blade away from the cut line, the entire tip is missing the black coating! I thought the blade tip chipped, but it's still there.

I didn't damage the knife, but it certainly doesn't look as good now... :(

I was cutting open a new washer (box) yesterday and when I pull my blade away from the cut line, the entire tip is missing the black coating! I thought the blade tip chipped, but it's still there.

I didn't damage the knife, but it certainly doesn't look as good now... :(
I think that’s pretty normal for the non-DLC coated CS blades. They fade pretty quickly. Over time, it’ll have that nice, weathered “battle damaged” look.

The only weak point I can think of for the srk is the tip. I watched a video of a dummy stabbing it into a frozen tree trunk... It broke. Well, duh? Don't fault the tool for user error. It's a 5mm thick blade with a slight hollow grind... I think it's tough enough for most anything.

Really need to go test out the sk5.
True. If used simply as a cutting tool, a tough knife shouldn’t have any minor or catastrophic failures.

So they're about to hand you the keys to a 3,500lb vehicle but won't trust you with a 3.5" knife blade? Is the irony totally lost on them?

I think that’s pretty normal for the non-DLC coated CS blades. They fade pretty quickly. Over time, it’ll have that nice, weathered “battle damaged” look.
I kind of like the “stonewashed” look to blades, as I hide scratches easier and it doesn’t get on my nerve, lol!

*What is that!? A scratch on MY blade!?? :eek:*

I’m having issues with flicker for some reason, I can’t even sign in, it’s weird... :confused:

But you can tell I have been using the Utilitac, because it has many scratches. ;)

I still don’t use it for my job though. Apparently a few years ago, they gave a box knife (what they used to use) to a lady who didn’t even know which hand she cut with. Literally, the floor manager asked her what hand she cut with, and she said “I don’t know”. Anyway, she ended up cutting her thumb open with it and had to get stitches. That’s why we can’t use box knives now. :rolleyes:

PheonixKingZ PheonixKingZ

If you are like me, the first scratches on a blade can be emotionally draining.

But, a well used knife can be a beautiful thing. Especially if it is maintained and taken care of.

Buying used gear can be a lot of fun and the first scratch is already there.

I have been carrying two knives lately. A full size Griptilian and a Spartan Swiss Army Knife. Very similar combo to your Utilitac and Pioneer. It is a Pioneer that you have, correct?

PheonixKingZ PheonixKingZ

If you are like me, the first scratches on a blade can be emotionally draining.

But, a well used knife can be a beautiful thing. Especially if it is maintained and taken care of.

Buying used gear can be a lot of fun and the first scratch is already there.

I have been carrying two knives lately. A full size Griptilian and a Spartan Swiss Army Knife. Very similar combo to your Utilitac and Pioneer. It is a Pioneer that you have, correct?
Yes, I use the Pioneer. The Pioneer is a lot more helpful for smaller tasks. I’ve used all the tools so far, but I use the blade and the awl the most.

How is that Griptilian? I here they are really nice.

Yes, I use the Pioneer. The Pioneer is a lot more helpful for smaller tasks. I’ve used all the tools so far, but I use the blade and the awl the most.

How is that Griptilian? I here they are really nice.
The Griptilian is nice. I have four at the moment. One is military issue and has a black blade with a combo edge. Another is a H2o model 551. The other two are just basic models, a 550 and another 551 with orange scales. It gets used the most. All of them came from forum members.

Your Utilitac is no slouch, though.
That is what I probably would purchase to replace one of my Griptilians.

Do either of your knives need a lanyard or fob? I have some paracord I can send you.

Back