Really...

Which blade is better in YOUR opinion?

• Black

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Polished (Aka silver)

Votes: 111 83.5%

• Total voters
If you can take a fixed blade I would recommend a Carothers DEK1. If not I would recommend a Buck 110 or a Gerber Gator 650 for a pocket knife. I trust lockback's more than linerlock's.

Edit: Oops, they are all over 3". Even as a youth I would question their 3" rule, and why they don't recommend a fixed blade anyway. Something doesn't sound right to me.

Last edited:
Dang has it been a WHILE!!

Well, I need some advice! Choice seems pretty obvious, but I figured I would ask anyway.

I’m going to a search and rescue school (Hawk Mountain Ranger School), and I’m allowed a pocket knife and a utility knife. (Obviously going to be using the SAK and the Ontario Utilitac)

Anything else I should consider?
Checked out the site and looks like it starts on the 10th? If so, not much time to get anything new. But with a 3" limit, should be fine with what you have. Have fun!

Checked out the site and looks like it starts on the 10th? If so, not much time to get anything new. But with a 3" limit, should be fine with what you have. Have fun!
It starts on the 10th, but I’m leaving tomorrow, so we can help clean/power-wash the area before the rest of the cadets arrive. :)

I leave tomorrow, but don’t get there until the 9th.

Dang has it been a WHILE!!

Well, I need some advice! Choice seems pretty obvious, but I figured I would ask anyway.

I’m going to a search and rescue school (Hawk Mountain Ranger School), and I’m allowed a pocket knife and a utility knife. (Obviously going to be using the SAK and the Ontario Utilitac)

Anything else I should consider?
Long time, yes. To long actually.

How are you doing? How are the SAK and Utilitac holding up?

Long time, yes. To long actually.

How are you doing? How are the SAK and Utilitac holding up?
Yes, way to long.

Yes! Doing great. I would upload a picture, but every time I try to, it says it’s too big.

The SAK is chilling in my coin pocket and the Utilitac II is hanging in my main pocket.

The SAK will come in SUPER handy. It will be a lot of camping/building shelters, so cutting rope, opening cans, cutting food, etc.

Hey guys! I just got back from the Ranger school.

I used my knives a TON. The Utilitac was used for shaving fire wood and also cutting paracord. I used the SAK EVERY single day for opening cans and stuff.

I also bought a new knife!

I got it for super cheap, so I have no idea the model. Any ideas?
6D5B08DE-E50C-47B9-B6E0-52855583297B.jpeg

I used my knives a TON. The Utilitac was used for shaving fire wood and also cutting paracord. I used the SAK EVERY single day for opening cans and stuff.

View attachment 1602585

It's good to see you back young man. Does the Gerber say what the steel is? At least it's a fixed blade. I would not go into the woods without one. Or a compass and other things.

It's good to see you back young man. Does the Gerber say what the steel is? At least it's a fixed blade. I would not go into the woods without one. Or a compass and other things.
No, it doesn’t say. At least I have a DECENT fixed blade!!!

Last edited:
It's a Freeman Guide

Steel is 5cr15mov (equivalent to german 4116, used in many kitchen knives). Not really great, but should be adequate for simple woods related tasks. If you ever need something heavier duty I would look at Beckers. If they're out of your price range, Schrade has some knives made of 1095 steel that look pretty decent and get good reviews.

View attachment 1602585

Ranger School? I thought you were 15 years old? Are you on a delayed entry program or something?

It's a Freeman Guide

Steel is 5cr15mov (equivalent to german 4116, used in many kitchen knives). Not really great, but should be adequate for simple woods related tasks. If you ever need something heavier duty I would look at Beckers. If they're out of your price range, Schrade has some knives made of 1095 steel that look pretty decent and get good reviews.
What about the Gerber Strongarm? One of my fellow cadets had it, and it kicked butt for fire duty.

Back