RENO CONVENTION -- please read.

Originally posted by pendentive
Why not? You can put your firearms on the plane as long as they're in a locked case...
Can you lock your baggage anymore? I hear you can't. Checked baggage must be unlocked. Does this include firearms or knives?

This is my understanding:

Any gun carriers have to be locked while on the plane. So, you bring the firearm in its case and lock it when you check it in (has to be witnessed).

Anybody else have a different experience?

Oh...and knives are a different story. Not required to be locked, but I would highly recommend it if you can't afford to lose it. Just treat it like a firearm carrier...

anyone have experience with flying to a
knife show with a suitcase (in checked baggage, of coures, not carry-on) fulla blades?

Maybe ask in the maker's forum here.

I shipped a khuk on the seventh becasue I didn't know what the deal was. I checked a case which contained a pretty random collection of stuff including hand tools and several small blades and knives. Didn't mention the contents, but was instructed to ensure it was unlocked. At my request, I was cheerfully provided with tape to secure the latches against accidental opening.

Collected the bag, which was taped, at my destination. I contained a "Notification of Baggage Inspection" indicating that it had been opened and "resealed with a tamper evident seal"....government-ese for (re-)taped??? The notification also apologizes if the screeners broke the locks to gain entry to the bag. Everything appeared to be where I had originally placed it in the bag.

Dunno about firearms....I'd try to get written procedures from the airline in question--Shortly before the first of the year, the TSA website didn't have the checked-baggage procedures up yet, don't know if they do now. Everyone's security would appear to be enhanced if a bag containing knives could be inspected in one's presence and then locked. That is, if presentation of the claim slip and/or ID is required to claim the bag, since it probably has some type of indicator that it is "pre-inspected" hence likely contains firearms, and is an attractive target to rip off...

If something is truely irreplacable, you've a problem, as you likely won't be able to insure it with ordinary insurance, which is predicated upon replacing the item at a known cost. You'll likely need a specialized shipper that transports/insures valuable artwork and the like. I was told that Fed-Ex won't insure artwork by deceased artists for example (replacement not possible), and I'm fairly certain that neither will baggage insurance.

Does anyone seriously think that more people will want to fly in the future??

not for me, as i found out that I will have to pass on the Reno konvention. If things change back, I'll let ya know. Have fun, all!

Keith

Hey Uncle, this is shaping up into quite the shin dig! I have gotten the "green light" from the better half. Now I have to do my best to keep work from ruining my plans. Would my almost 12 year old son be welcome? He is well behaved and has asked to come if I go. No kids is an ok answer, just need to know.:) Does anyone have anymore info on the show going on that same weekend? Adios, stevo

Pen's right, lock your gun case after it is inspected at the counter. FOPA (cough) 1986 federal law, trumps any Thousands Standing Around policy IMHO.

In fact some guys on a gun forum I read are kicking around the idea of printing up stickers to use as seals. Stickers would say something like "Case must remain sealed by law (18 USC 922(e)). Breaking seal is punishable by XX years in prison and/or a $XXX,XXX fine." The trouble is I just looked over the law and I don't see a specific penalty, it just says the case shall be locked and the declaration ("steal me") tag has to be on the inside.

Not all that many years ago, a ring of baggage handlers in Chicago's O'hare was busted. They had "luggage entry" systems down pat. Almost doesn't make a difference what the law is, or what the penalty is...a crook might use such as a way of saving time and going immediately to the marked bag.

(justa dreary thought)

Yeah :barf:. Luckily the freelance crooks are usually more small-scale than the official ones. Not to mention the real threat to security from the thousands of unscreened workers on the flight line. But the dog-and-pony show in the concourse is so good for throwing money around and looking busy.

(sorry to get off track from the khonvention business. Wish I could go!)

I've called a pal over at the Peppermill and am working on a deal for discounted rooms and a meeting room there. No news yet but stay tuned.

Originally posted by Bill Martino
I've called a pal over at the Peppermill and am working on a deal for discounted rooms and a meeting room there. No news yet but stay tuned.

I'll drink to that. I knew I delayed making reservations for a couple of reasons. :)

Thanks for working at getting us a deal Uncle Bill. I was looking at the websites yesterday of the Peppermill and Atlantis to get an idea of prices.

I'm hoping for a $39 per night deal but we'll just have to wait and see. I've been going to the Peppermill for 10 years and have what they call a "Gold Card" which is supposed to entitle you to special deals. I'll keep everybody posted with info as I get it.

At least I was referred to the Sales Manager which is a good sign and I'm waiting for his first offer. We will counter for a better deal no matter what he says and see what we can do. As a nickle video poker player I don't get the same treatment as those who play the $100 machines.

Originally posted by Bill Martino

But, if we get a meeting room at the Peppermill, we won't be scarring the neighbors. What fun is that?:p he he he Just teasing.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Pen's right, lock your gun case after it is inspected at the counter. FOPA (cough) 1986 federal law, trumps any Thousands Standing Around policy IMHO.

A good point, but unfortunately, even the Constitution seems to be getting trumped lately...

In fact some guys on a gun forum I read are kicking around the idea of printing up stickers to use as seals. Stickers would say something like "Case must remain sealed by law (18 USC 922(e)). Breaking seal is punishable byXX years in prison and/or a $XXX,XXX fine." The trouble is I just looked over the law and I don't see a specific penalty, it just says the case shall be locked and the declaration ("steal me") tag has to be on the inside.

I just don't see how this is compatable with the TSA inspections unless the declaration is somehow identifiable without opening the carrier. Do they employ something "readable" by an instrument, or compare locked bags against a list of pre-inspected bags?

Now that lock-breaking has become an accepted practice in baggage handling, what is a proper firearm carrier and is it readily identifiable by appearance?

Lastly, will the airline inspect and allow locking of luggage at check-in if it contains no firearms?? With things at airports increasingly resembling a squeeze chute, I can see them refusing because they "don't have to", or "then everyone will want to".

If I have to purchase a firearm and carrier to securely transport cutlery as baggage, I guess that's too dam* bad:) :)

Another reason to be glad I don't fly out of NYC, I guess.

I think I could have swung it on the 29th with the whole family since it's the beginning of spring break, but the 22nd looks tough for me. :(

:) Made my plane reservations and bought my ticket today. Yeah. Reno , here I come. :)

Peppermill has not called back -- not a good sign. Yangdu is going to Atlantis today and see what sort of deal we can work there. As soon as we get details I'll post a separate thread with the info.

Back