• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Rolling date for 1/4" x 1 1/2" 1084 set for July 26, 2008

We have a Rolling date for the 1/4" x 1 1/2" 1084 of July 26, 2008. The steel is being produced by the same mill as the last batch and we expect the same results. If you are interested please let me know SOON. The cost is $3.60 per pound. Scrap Surcharges may apply, but not at this point.

If you are interested I will need your full:

NAME
ADDRESS
ZIP CODE
PHONE NUMBER
E-MAIL ADDRESS
AN AMOUNT OF STEEL THAT YOU CAN STICK TO!!

DELIVERIES SHOULD START 3RD WEEK IN AUGUST SHIPPED UPS IN THE ORDER THEY ARE PAYED FOR.

A lot of you have been waiting for this load. I need to know there is enough interest before I can proceed. Please let others you know who might be interested. Bulk shipping to one location can be arranged.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you,

Aldo Bruno

njsteelbaron@gmail.com

You da MAN!!!!! Will the bar length/weight still be the same.......5 pounds/4 feet? Put me down for at least 100 pounds. I'll get you the details later, but I am good for at least that much. Whoever you have rolling that stuff is very talented. The stuff is nice and square with a clean surface and it is EXACTLY 1/4 thick...I measured it with digital calipers...and as you saw, even I can get a nice edge on it...lol.

Aldo, I decided to pass on the 1095 but I'll probably take 200 lbs of this 1084.
The last I got from you has been great in damascus. Really good stuff!

Aldo,
Put me down for 100 pounds, I'll try to have the money together in time for Ashokan if that works, sooner if I can find a job or if summer sales are good.

-Page

Aldo,
I would like 100 lbs., too, please.
Thanks,
Mitch
P.S. I'll make the trip down to you to get it. (free shipping);)

Got you all down. Please send an Email with your info. God knows I suck at keeping records.

Mr. Knowles, Nice to know you're among the living! When is the house warming party?

Don, glad to see you know good steel!

Page, got you covered till Ashokan. Don't make a habit of it and get a job!!

Troop......who are you? Got you down for 100#.

Dave, if you sent me an E-Mail last night I may have erased it.I accidentally wiped out a 50# order and sent it to never never land and didn't catch the name:confused:

Hey Aldo, I sent an email for a 50# order, let me know if it was me you deleted and I will resend info if needed.

So somebody tell me about 1084, please. I'm new to this knife making thing. Why use 1084 and not something else? How is it to work with? Can I send it out for heat treatment or would I need to do it myself? What qualities does this steel have that makes it a good choice for knives? I'm in the process of building a KMG clone and I want to start getting some steel together so I can go to work when the grinder is done. I plan on focusing on hunters and EDC type knives to start.

Thanks for your help in advance. There is a lot to learn and I think this is a great place to do it.

Paul

Tom, Please send it again. My bad, Sorry

Paul, 1084 is what a lot of Makers in this country call Knife Steel. It is eutectic steel.(All the parts fit together with out any parts left over.) ,it moves well under the hammer, it mixes well with 15N20 to make Damascus steel.

The formula is a simple one: Carbon .84, Manganese .60 -.90, and heat treating the stuff is pretty straight forward as well.

Any one have anything to add?

Aldo

Got you all down. Please send an Email with your info. God knows I suck at keeping records.

Mr. Knowles, Nice to know you're among the living! When is the house warming party?

Don, glad to see you know good steel!

Page, got you covered till Ashokan. Don't make a habit of it and get a job!!

Troop......who are you? Got you down for 100#.

Aldo, you delivered 1095 to my house a few months ago. Just into NJ from Orange Co., NY.

- MITCH ROKICKI

Paul, 1084 is simply the easiest knife steel to work with and will produce a high quality blade. You will need to heat treat yourself or find a maker that will do it. Most commercial HTers will not do oil quench steels.

I like it most in damascus.

Paul, what Don said, and I will add a bit, whoever Aldo's got making this stuff up has got the mix down, it is the easiest forging steel I have ever hit with a hammer, moves like plasticine (artist's modeling clay) when properly heated (I had to teach at one point in a building where I couldn't use fire so I forged a blade out of plasticine, and yes, the comparison held up) it heat treats easily and is fairly forgiving (If I am heat treating in a propane forge instead of my kiln I heat it to just above non magnetic, hold it there for about 10 minutes, then plunge it point first into 130 degree olive oil, then temper in a preheated oven between 400 and 425 degrees for an hour 3 times)
So far all of the 1084 I've gotten from Aldo has had almost no mill scale, (I got some 1084 from the other vendor that people usually recommend on these forums because he had some of the other steel i use in making damascus so I got matching width bars and by the time I had ground through the mill scale that was rolled into the surface i had probably lost 50 thousandths in thickness :( )
If you are starting out this is one of the easiest steels to learn on, and if you are afraid to or unable to do your own heat treat, I'm sure there is someone on these forums who could do it for you so don't let the heat treat thing scare you

-Page

I'm definitely in, just not certain for how much yet. We'll see how much $$ I have left after Blade :)

You're the man Aldo!

-d

Aldo, we'll have a house warming party when you deliver this in Person!:D:D

Just kidding you know i'll come get it.

Shawn

Thanks for all the replies. 1084 sounds like great stuff. Is this a good stock removal steel? I don't have a forge so all I can do is the grinder thing.:D Sounds like I might have to get something to do the HT myself. Not a scary proposition, just another tool to buy. :thumbup:

Paul

Back