Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

That Andoullie does look amazing! Speaking of ciders around the fall and winter holiday season I always prepare a Calvados and spice punch bowl for the family. I have to be careful about how much Calvados to put in as my wife's family (in the 70's her mom and brother's called themselves the Bancroft Brawlers) who get a little belligerent when they've had too much to drink, lol.
Thank you! There is the wee rivalry between Normandy and Bretagne (little Britain) not only on cider, but on andouille too (Guéménée). Ex wife was half Normand half Briton. She needed no calva to get belligerent and I would not dare and try to match her capacity of drinking! I like both andouilles but could never make it (or my stomach) with home made ultra dry briton cider. :rolleyes:

Received my RR157 congress knife today. Very pleased with the quality of this knife, it's fit and finish, walk and talk, blade sharpness the lot. I was concerned that its two sheeps-foot blades may be a bit small for practical use and, after watching a review on you-tube, might have been a little on the thin side. I really needn't have worried. This is a sturdy and functional medium sized pocket knife, perfect for everyday carry. It would be churlish to fault this knife for the money it cost.

Untitled by Mark Saunders, on Flickr

Untitled by Mark Saunders, on Flickr

I bought a couple of new ones. I saw the Rough Rider gunstock stockman that calamander posted a few days ago and I had to get one! It is a little smaller than I expected, and you can see that mine didn't fully take the dye on a small part of the bone. Besides that, it is excellent! Each blade is hair popping sharp. I had a look around, and it seems like it is the only gunstock stockman knife that is currently easily available. There are some "reverse" gunstocks out there, but I prefer this pattern.

I've also been looking at the Colt Texas stockman with all its fancy swedges, nail nicks, and blade selection, and decided to go with the buckshot bone version with the main blade etch. This one is bigger than I expected! It is easily the largest stockman knife I own. It is also razor sharp.

Both knives have the clipped sheepfoot or "coping" blade that I think is pretty cool.

This is a little flash GAW of a Rough Rider Half Whittler. This particular model has been my everyday EDC for two years. I bought one to replace a Colt Peanut that I gave to a coworker. I only believe in giving away decent knives and not junk. This two blade "half whittler" is one of the best gent's/everyday knives on the market in my opinion. Everyday knives to me are the knives you throw in your pocket and just use without care. The kind of knives that earn their keep and that's how you become fond of them.

It took a really neat Case Carhartt mini trapper with a single blade wharncliffe to displace it. I hope that it finds itself in good rotation for someone!

Just say you're in. Limited to about 20 entries and only open to those who have meaningfully contributed to this RR thread! Good luck!

Count me in, please.

I ordered a purple smooth bone trapper for mom, the RR1254. The trapper I received however was blue, even though the model number is right for the purple one on the box and knife. So she gave it back to me.

Now I have my first traditional knife and for less than 10 dollars its a fantastic knife. I was so happy I ordered 8 more trappers and will probably get more in the future. They will serve as secondary knives to my Spydercos.

I just ran the number generator at work and JD Racing won the whittler. If he contacts me I can ship it right out! I hope you guys had fun playing!

We have a hurricane situation bubbling up so it might take a big to get the whittler out if I can't do it today.

I just ran the number generator at work and JD Racing won the whittler. If he contacts me I can ship it right out! I hope you guys had fun playing!

We have a hurricane situation bubbling up so it might take a big to get the whittler out if I can't do it today.

Wow,Thank you....Whittlers are one of my favotite knife patterns....
I've never won anything in my life....
Thanks again,i messaged you my address....JD

I bought a couple of new ones. I saw the Rough Rider gunstock stockman that calamander posted a few days ago and I had to get one! It is a little smaller than I expected, and you can see that mine didn't fully take the dye on a small part of the bone. Besides that, it is excellent! Each blade is hair popping sharp. I had a look around, and it seems like it is the only gunstock stockman knife that is currently easily available. There are some "reverse" gunstocks out there, but I prefer this pattern.

I've also been looking at the Colt Texas stockman with all its fancy swedges, nail nicks, and blade selection, and decided to go with the buckshot bone version with the main blade etch. This one is bigger than I expected! It is easily the largest stockman knife I own. It is also razor sharp.

Both knives have the clipped sheepfoot or "coping" blade that I think is pretty cool.

josh,those are nice.....And yes,you went from smaller than expected,to larger than expected.....I have a couple diffrent bone handled Colt versions....That is one
WHOPPER of a knife.......
JD
12001068_504371553072626_1375651521269797480_o.jpg

If you think that's big,you should see one of these trappers.....It's crazy big.....
12010700_504371393072642_5408391196905343429_o.jpg

It's over an inch longer in closed position that my largest trapper.....

Thanks everyone for the congrats.......First thing i've ever won in my life....
Thanks to cchu for the opportunity as well....Got a couple pics of the GAW.
Very nice,tight,snappy lil half whittler.....I believe it to be a 1/2 whittler?
Thanks again all,
JD

The streaks on blade are just my mystery lube.....Anyone else use Marvel Mystery?
12091463_509741972535584_1386485181804492413_o.jpg

12087158_509741975868917_2348797132037292053_o.jpg

Mini Copperhead with Clip master. I like the bone and the whole knife is very well finished.

IMG_2452.jpg

Regards, Will

This is the nicest China made folder to pass through my hands yet even a little better then my Rough Rider! I've been a long time user of 440A which is what this 17Cr what ever they call is, and I already like it better then that 8Cr stuff I tried from another manufacturer!...

Nice lockback that, my Schrade Chinese 3 OT is very well finished too.

What size is that please?

This large Congress is my favorite RR in my possession. F&F is spot on. I bought it when RR first started up. This was a sales sample showing all the work they could do. It has Black Lip and regular MOP. Match striker pulls. The bolsters are ringed and pinched and there's file work galore.

Last edited:
Nice lockback that, my Schrade Chinese 3 OT is very well finished too.

What size is that please?

It's the same size as my 110. I was able to hand pick it between two others that didn't look as good, and the tan sheath is really nice as well!

Back