Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

5jqe7DP.jpg

Rough Rider Marlinspike knife. The couple that I'd bought several years ago had the marlinspike not locking, and I've read others say the same, even though it's supposed to lock. Still usable as long as you're aware of that and take care when tightening/loosening knots or doing rope splicing... ;)

Got a couple in Rams Horn that I wanted to try out.

The Rough Rider sowbelly ( I like this frame! so much I got a Case/Bose sowbelly recently) is a disappointment only because the scales were uneven with the bolsters by a large margin and really couldn't stand holding it. So I had to spend a couple hours to sand them down not mess up the bolsters. Everything now matched to a satin finish. The rams horn were also mismatched ( each on their own do look nice), but all in all a good usable knife after the elbow grease.
The Marbles barlow is good solid , usual rough-rider-like fit and finish and the rams horn looks and feels great. I'll try other Marble knives now.

And the pile side Ram's Horn on the Barlow is flat out beautiful
Both very attractive knives, Steve! :thumbup: I have a Marbles pruner with ram's horn just like your Barlow, and I like it a lot.
lX06bnF.jpg

Is your RR sowbelly ram's horn or is it RR's "ram's horn bone"?? I have a RR canoe that is jigged bone meant to simulate ram's horn, and it's done well, but it's not genuine ram's horn.
vdu4JTb.jpg

Thanks for the info, Rich S. I might have to pick up a Marbles or Colt knife. Maybe a barlow or canoe (my faves). What do y'all think of Kissing Crane knives? I would think the quality might be like that of RR, Marbles, etc. Anyone have any experience with them?

Alex
Alex, I'm pretty sure Kissing Crane knives has become Robert Klaas knives now. I have a small Robt. Klaas canoe that I'm VERY happy with (although I've met few canoe patterns I DON'T like :eek:). Here's a couple of photos:
MzJFQEp.jpg

F5lMf3T.jpg

The fit and finish on the couple of Rough Riders like this that I've bought were great. I'd given my pa a 'Coal Miner' version a few years ago. No gaps with the scales and liners, no cracks in the bone, good snap, good lock up with the linerlock, no blade play. Well worth the price I paid for 'em. I only wish it had a lanyard hole or bail. :)
Very nice RR Sodbuster liner lock, Stormdrane! :cool::cool: I have one (minus the liner lock, and maybe smaller than yours) that I enjoy immensely.
NeybYAk.jpg

- GT

lThanks GT...and it's Horn, but looking it up , Buffalo. After sanded it down , put a coat of superglue on it and a few days of use, it's growing on me.

lThanks GT...and it's Horn, but looking it up , Buffalo. After sanded it down , put a coat of superglue on it and a few days of use, it's growing on me.

Thanks for the update, Steve. :thumbup:
I haven't seen many buffalo horn offerings from Rough Rider; that sowbelly looks very nice.
(I haven't been able to locate a dealer who carries it; if you'd PM me dealer info sometime at your convenience, I'd appreciate it.)

- GT

5jqe7DP.jpg

Rough Rider Marlinspike knife. The couple that I'd bought several years ago had the marlinspike not locking, and I've read others say the same, even though it's supposed to lock. Still usable as long as you're aware of that and take care when tightening/loosening knots or doing rope splicing... ;)

Good looking Marlin Spike.
I bought one of the old yeller handle version. It gets pocket time.

Recently purchased my first Colt, a two blade gunstock with bone stag scales, a review of which I posted on this thread. I was really happy with the quality and manufacture of the knife and noticed Colt also produced a pattern I'd long been interested in. Now I'm a big fan of the stockman and have five or six in various sizes, but it's one which incorporates a punch that I'd been after and was pleased to find that Colt made a very affordable version. The one small issue I had with the gunstock was that the scales, though otherwise nicely produced, were mismatched in terms of colour, but I was pleased to find no such problem with the stockman. What I got was a knife of a quality which far outweighs its price. The knife is nicely constructed and, I think, finished to a standard just above that of the Rough Riders which, for me, is high. The blade steel sharpens to a very sharp edge with little effort. One small issue with the knife, as well as a small amount of blade rub, is that the tip of the spey blade sits up a bit, which is fine when all blades are closed but it's exposed when the main blade is open. This could be resolved by filing down the tang of the spey blade, but the main blade would also have to be lowered so as not to obscure its nail nick. There is enough play on both tangs for this to be achieved. All in all an exceptional knife for the money and a pattern I'm very pleased to finally have in my collection.

Untitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks like one heck of a nice knife. I will have to find on of those for myself.

I am really impressed with Colt knives. I have several, not the Rancher Stockman, but a stockman, whittler, tear drop jacks, gunstock, both D2 linerlocks and a few others. All excellent knives IMHO.

Rich

I have seen a rough rider knife that my friend got and immediately ordered couple for myself.Its a small swingguard ,and bone gunstock,will get it in couple days.Does anyone have any of their fixed blades,and are they good users or more for show?Great quality for price!

Check out the Rough Rider and Related thread. (it is worth the time to sart at page 1 and read to the last)
I think the fixed blades are mentioned a few times.
The slip joints are very much a user knife. I don't have one of their fixed blades yet.

Check out the Rough Rider and Related thread. (it is worth the time to sart at page 1 and read to the last)
I think the fixed blades are mentioned a few times.
The slip joints are very much a user knife. I don't have one of their fixed blades yet.

good idea. Let's merge the threads and bring this to the top so our friend can easily find it.

On a recent trip to SMKW, I was told twice that they lost the license for Colt branded knives and that those knives will now go to RR and one of the other brands they have. I think the other was Colonel Coon.

On a recent trip to SMKW, I was told twice that they lost the license for Colt branded knives and that those knives will now go to RR and one of the other brands they have. I think the other was Colonel Coon.

Well, that is bad news.
I don't know if they own the Colonel Coon brand. Those sure are not in the same price point as the existing Colt knives. I did not see any for under $100.
Maybe they'll split the Colt line between Rough Rider and Marbles ... hopefully the carbon steel models to Rough Rider at an affordable price.
I really like the Colt carbon steel canoe I have.

Yes they own Colonel Coon. I like my Colt canoe carbon steel too. The only other they had I liked in carbons steel was the trapper.

I finally got around to taking a few pictures of this tiny black pearl Rough Rider: 2 1/4"

Back