Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I got this on a whim. $15 I couldn't go wrong. I have got to say this is really nicely done. Perfect centering, symmetric grind lines, no gaps, the spine edges are nice and crisp without being sharp, nice snap/pull, and it's VG-10. I also really like the texture of the aluminum.

NUajxCXh.jpg
How is their version of VG 10?

In a weak moment I ordered this new Rough Ryder.
It's not terrible and probably worth more than the price they charge.
Fit n Finish is so-so with minor gaps, slightly proud spring at open, and loose blade in the blade well. It will rub the liner/handle.
The aluminum handles are okay too, but they do look pretty cheap. I think they missed the boat by not using more traditional materials.
Over-all impressions are favorable for such an inexpensive knife. It won't kick anything out of my pocket but would make a nice gift for my non-knife friends.

Last edited:
I get a kick out of the fact that they pack a return slip with their knives. :D
And if you call for a RMA number, they credit your account and usually tell you to keep it. It’s good service and basically makes buying RR risk free, even though most of them are very serviceable knives. Looks like you got one that definitely has issues.

This has not been my experience when I've tried to return them.
I’ve called to return 3 over the past couple of years and they told me to keep them. One was just unsafe and is just in a junk drawer the other two are safe to use but annoying because I have to push the blade over to get them to close. They still look nice but I won’t use them for that reason. Did you purchase them from the retailer in the mountains?

Did you purchase them from the retailer in the mountains?
I've documented my experiences here in this thread several times before and don't wish to add more negativity to it. :):thumbsup:
Let's just say my experiences with the brand and the company has been less than stellar.

I've documented my experiences here in this thread several times before and don't wish to add more negativity to it. :):thumbsup:
Let's just say my experiences with the brand and the company has been less than stellar.
I have over 200 RR knives and have only had issues with a couple. They stand by their knives and offer lifetime warranties if defective. I have had more problems with knives from bigger name brands.

Back