Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

If it was micarta it shouldn't crack at all even when dropped. Dropped micarta in my knives winds up scratched or a tiny bit deformed.
To be honest I'm not sure how it cracked, perhaps it was already there and I hadn't noticed. Maybe when the lanyard tube was pressed in? Be that as it may the material is definitely some type of resin with fibers embedded. I'm not saying its top quality Westinghouse or anything, just there's definitely some type of woven fabric in it.

IKWdL6em.jpg

what... is going on... there?
Notice how sharpening the wharnecliffe will be near impossible down by the choil without hitting the bolster... interesting, but what we’re they thinking?
Not sure but honestly I like it, but I'm more concerned with the short looking kick. Thats why I think allot of the EO's had blade rap,if you look at the kick on those its almost dead even with the edge.

Not sure but honestly I like it, but I'm more concerned with the short looking kick. Thats why I think allot of the EO's had blade rap,if you look at the kick on those its almost dead even with the edge.
Good point about the kick. It does look nearly flush with the edge. I do also like the idea - I think the length is about 3.87". So a nice size I think. I haven't heard what the price is - I may consider this if the price is right. I do also wish they would leave off the match strike nail nicks though. Overall, I like this one more than the other two.

Whomever is designing these just needs to stop.
They need to go back to basic traditional designs and stop trying to re-invent the wheel.
Every single one of these "Reserve" knives have had some major design flaws, with the exception of maybe the One Arm.

Whomever is designing these just needs to stop.
They need to go back to basic traditional designs and stop trying to re-invent the wheel.
Every single one of these "Reserve" knives have had some major design flaws, with the exception of maybe the One Arm.

The equal end improved muskrat doesn't seem all that adventurous or flawed. I still have high hopes for that one. It remains to be seen if they put a, unnecessary liner between the blades in that one like they did for the kayak though. The stockman with cap lifter doesn't seem like a bad idea either; remains to be seen if that one is a three springer or they do some other weird unnecessary thing with it.

But asside from those two, which still have yet to be proven, I can't say I've been very impressed at all. That "Bar back" is an abomination that really hurt the credibility of the line for me.

Curious about the market for these RRR.

• Case - has the history and is made in USA. I get the collector and enthusiast angle. They are easily accessible.
  • GEC - has the old school manufacturing and materials. Their scarcity makes them now almost exclusively the domain of hardcore collectors.
  • Boker and Lionsteel - merges traditional, modern, and super steels.
  • RRR - MiC copies of Case or GEC made from D2 (not a traditional steel or a super steel).

Not knocking them, just trying to gauge who they are marketing too.

Oh come on, you are knocking them, and that's ok.
The only issues I have are:
You claim they are copies of Case or GEC patterns. Which ones specifically?
If you mean a canoe, a whittler or Coke bottle, and a one arm knife in general guess what. Those are not Case or GEC patterns either. Well the Canoe might be, no one seems to know for sure.

And that D2 is not a 'traditional' steel. What are the traditional steels in your estimation?

Here is a picture of a Queen Trapper (not their pattern) with D2 steel and bone handles they had made to look like stag and even called it "Aged Honey Amber Stag Bone". I doubt seriously it is made from the bone of a stag. Probably a steer.

Should I throw it away for being a copy of a traditional pattern in a non traditional steel?

FWIW the RRR knives build quality shames this knife on many levels but they cost about the same.

Easy choice as to which one I would rather have.:thumbsup:
Easy choice I'd say if forced to choose one or the other perhaps, but I sure am glad we can choose to have both if we desire. :):thumbsup: I don't look at these as this OR that, I look at these as this AND that :Dlol
I carry RR and I carry GEC,sometimes something old and rare, sometimes all 3 at the same time ;)

005 for sure, very likely 006 and then probably 008. The lockback not so quick, but the color could grow on me. I wasn’t drawn to any of the first round.

Last edited:
The stockman IS interesting, just worried about the width, but I posted those concerns before. I would rather have a third blade instead of the cap lifter, just not sure I’m a cap lifter guy. I have one on a couple different SAKs and I don’t know if I’ve ever used it.

The stockman IS interesting, just worried about the width, but I posted those concerns before. I would rather have a third blade instead of the cap lifter, just not sure I’m a cap lifter guy. I have one on a couple different SAKs and I don’t know if I’ve ever used it.
I wouldn't use the caplifter as much as the screwdriver I think. But allot of people complain about spey blades in stockman knives as well.

Back