1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Scary Looking Folders

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Tsujigiri, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Kutz

Kutz

Jun 5, 2010
    CRKT Hissatsu folder looks kind of mean. It opens mean too.

2. defuse kit

defuse kit

May 26, 2010
    From the trends of this thread, it looks like large and hawkbill blades, balisongs, autos, and OTFs are scary. Anything else?

3. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    spyderco bug?

4. Sep

Sep

Mar 14, 2009
    Cold Steel 6" Ti-Lite looks like a (seriously) big old fashioned switchblade. I don't care what you cut with it, people will give you a dirty look.

5. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    The 6" is almost ridiculous "to me" as the 4" is about perfect size-wise and still gets it's share of raised eybrows. ;)

6. dtgman227

dtgman227

Aug 12, 2010
    Yea, my Rajah II gets a few looks when I need to open a box at work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mini-grip for scale.

7. Hateman

Hateman Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2000

+1
    Toyz and J_Curd are right. Any blade larger than a fingernail gets looks around here.

8. goodeyesniper

goodeyesniper

Aug 31, 2009
    No, THIS blatant ripoff looks retarded. At least the Spydercos with this blade shape had nice, flowing curves while maintaining a scary look.

9. JeremiahWeaver09

JeremiahWeaver09

Nov 13, 2009
    lol, i think it looks alright. nice thick handle. for its ended purpose, its more than capable.

10. Noctis3880

Noctis3880 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I had a similar experience as well with my Emerson Super Karambit. Though I guess I could understand since it's more or less akin to bringing a weapon to work. The lesson we learn is that you only show your knives to people at work if you consider them a friend. For other coworkers who probably aren't your best bud, just don't pull it out.

If I need to use a knife in the open public, I find that a fixed blade won't raise any eyebrows even if it's as sharp as a scalpel.

It's funny how the shape and folding function draws more attention than anything else. But then, I suppose it's hard to judge a threat you can't see(the sharpness of the knife, whether or not someone will use it on another person). Still, I suspect my Dozier Buffalo River Hunter won't cause much alarm even if I dropped a tomato on the blade and split it in half.

11. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    I keep this little guy in my wallet for such occasions.

[​IMG]

12. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I remember reading from somewhere that this was made under permission of spyderco, but I could remember wrong.

13. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    I thought it was a Spyderco until I read it was a rip off. :eek:

14. swamp

swamp Banned BANNED

Jun 18, 2010
    I think about this knife everytime I am looking for a large folder. Too bad they stopped making it. I have looked for hours for one without any luck. Is that yours? Nice knife!:thumbup:

15. elvis.alive

elvis.alive

May 19, 2010
  16. frontline29

frontline29

Oct 7, 2008
    Alright we get the point. No need to troll.

17. Benchmade Skirmish, while not scary, can certainly be intimidating.

I should kick myself for getting rid of the two I had!

18. Heiheit

Heiheit

Feb 4, 2009
    Ugh.. that looks even worse. No offense to the man, but I don't think any of his designs look good at all especially considering the price and materials.

19. Gunny Bob

Gunny Bob

Jan 21, 2006
    Interesting. If I don't present a wicked looking blade, that's when I get the strange looks. It's all in a person's expectations.

20. Sep

Sep

Mar 14, 2009
    Without the finger grooves, it actually looks like Kershaw Shallot.