Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

I would agree with not selling your 21’s.

I love the new micarta on the 31’s but not worth it if they can’t fix the play in the blade.

I bought a brand new small 21 Micarta from DLT a few weeks back. I remember thinking the 31 micartas won't be readily available for a few months, having both will be nice. And now I feel like the smartest man alive :)

I was going to sell my 21's, to purchase a 31. I'm stuck on the fence for now.. I really love my 21's!

:confused:

It's been basically the same knife for more than 20 years, there is no practical reason to replace any sebenza for the newer generation. I got 3 sebenzas from 2004-2008 period, well maintained, they perform as well as the new ones. That's what I like about CRK. May not be the best business model though in the times of planned obsolescence.

I can say with confidence I will never get rid of my beloved 21. Others have come and gone, but that “one” is here to stay.

That said, I’m glad I’m sticking with trying the 31 for an extended period. I was just as apprehensive as anyone in this thread, but I went ahead and got it anyway and I’m glad I did. It’s only been a couple days now, but it’s growing on me steadily. When I use it, I don’t even notice any “rock” or “give” in the blade. Because I know it’s there, I’ll periodically “push” down on the top of the spine to see if she moves. On my particular example, she’s rock solid. I really, really have to use my palm and exert quite a bit of force in the “wrong direction” to get any “give” from the blade.

Just to reassure anyone who might’ve been on the fence. I wouldn’t get rid of my 21 in favor of the 31 at this point, and I don’t know if that’ll ever be a feeling I have. But I’m definitely becoming more and more happy I went ahead and got the 31 as well. And this thing is smooooooooooooooth to open/close! :thumbsup:

My Small Inkosi had lock rock but it was gone after a month of use. It was the ceramic detent ball wearing in into the ball path. No issues and it is working fine! I would say use it a bit and see if it is gone.

My Small Inkosi had lock rock but it was gone after a month of use. It was the ceramic detent ball wearing in into the ball path. No issues and it is working fine! I would say use it a bit and see if it is gone.

not sure that I would want to risk that if I can return it.

Stick with Chris Reeve designed knives built when he was in charge. The company carried his name for good reason. Wellll, except for Chris collaborations like the TiLock :)

I am not going tp be critical of knives(or designer of a knife) I have not tried, but without doubt Chris was a great designer . They have moved on past him, but will not be able to fully replace him.

Last edited:
I feel like there’s a slight chance mine may be improving. I’m not sure how, or if the science is even possible. But, I feel like I had to apply quite a bit more pressure, to get quite a bit less “play” when I tried it again today. I don’t know what even made me try it, but I figured I’d give it a push just to see for whatever reason. I just don’t remember having to apply that much force with my palm (it actually got a little sore this time, and I don’t have sissy hands), and I definitely remember more movement. Maybe it’s settling in.

There is no crowd, tougher than the CRK crowd. I do not envy the task of releasing a new model into a sea of folks who will scrutinize the product with calipers, mirrors, lasers, microscopes, and a fine-toothed comb.

I am sure if the OCD is shelved for a few minutes, the 31 is absolutely up to the tasks it was designed for, with no chance of lock failure. It is also a very attractive looking knife.

I sit here writing this looking at my well-worn Micarta L21 (my first CRK) and realize it is very hard to improve on perfection. I’m not sure why the ti/steel traditional Reeve lock design was abandoned by CRK for the 31. I’ve put my 21s through hell on earth, and they exhibit no lock wear or lock movement. The combo of the heat-treated lock bar, and hand-fitted tang on the blade was really a winner.

Lets hope the 31 proves a winner too. If society isn’t over, I might reward myself with one when the dust settles.

Stay safe everyone! Keep your collections clean!

I sit here writing this looking at my well-worn Micarta L21 (my first CRK) and realize it is very hard to improve on perfection. I’m not sure why the ti/steel traditional Reeve lock design was abandoned by CRK for the 31. I’ve put my 21s through hell on earth, and they exhibit no lock wear or lock movement. The combo of the heat-treated lock bar, and hand-fitted tang on the blade was really a winner.

This is just a guess, but I think it’d streamline operations quite a bit now that all the locking folders (in production — Mnandi?) feature the same lock interface build. No more little detent balls and carburizing to deal with.

The 31 basically checked all the boxes I had on my wish list for a 21 update/merge: pivot bushing, no scale hole, combo detent/interface, no grip scallops, canted clip.

Back