Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Lock rock for sure. But now it seems like I have side to side play. That might just be me putting too much force that it is pushing the blade forward when I wiggle it.

That might just be me putting too much force that it is pushing the blade forward when I wiggle it.
Why are you even doing this? Do you normally cut things with the spine of your knife?

The blade tang touches a ceramic ball causing it to flex slightly under pressure and normal. I scratch my head at people who try to make these fail in ways you would never use a knife.

Lock rock for sure. But now it seems like I have side to side play. That might just be me putting too much force that it is pushing the blade forward when I wiggle it.

Please report back on what CRK tells you. It has to be extremely frustrating to have these issues with such an expensive knife. I was hoping they had these issues under control but apparently not. Much appreciated and good luck with the warranty dept.!

Why are you even doing this? Do you normally cut things with the spine of your knife?

The blade tang touches a ceramic ball causing it to flex slightly under pressure and normal. I scratch my head at people who try to make these fail in ways you would never use a knife.
Basically what V-1 said under you... I just spent over $400 on this knife. I bought it BECAUSE CRK’s are know for tight tolerances and absolutely no blade play. So to open the box for the first time, and to find excessive blade play, it’s alittle concerning. Clearly it’s a problem if there’s an entire thread on this forum about it..

As a machinist, I scratch my head at people who accept poor tolerances and blade wiggle on a 400 to 500 dollar knife. But to each their own.
Does the machinist understand the 31 lockup is on a ball that will react differently and flex when pressure is applied that a 21's long titanium wall when won't do? Try standing or balancing on a soccer ball and see what happens. It has nothing to do with poor tolerances and more to do with people getting their head out of the sand.

Does the machinist understand the 31 lockup is on a ball that will react differently and flex when pressure is applied that a 21's long titanium wall when won't do? Try standing or balancing on a soccer ball and see what happens. It has nothing to do with poor tolerances and more to do with people getting their head out of the sand.

If said soccer ball is firmly attached to the ground, just like the ceramic lock ball, no problems standing and balancing on it.

I get what your saying man.

****UPDATE**** so I called Chris Reeve Knives this morning. I told the women I had front to back and alittle side to side blade play, which I did end up feeling after messing with the knife more. They women on the phone was very nice and said that she would she me a shipping label to send the knife to them. She also told me that it would take 4 to 8 weeks turn around. She said they are current at 5 weeks. I will be sending the knife hopefully today or tomorrow. I’m sure they will make things right.

If you look back in this thread...I had issues with my large 31. Crazy lock flex and side side issues.
Sent it back to CRK, and it doesn't budge one iota now. Nada. Zip. Not even a hint of flex.
Glad you’re sending it in. :)
****UPDATE**** so I called Chris Reeve Knives this morning. I told the women I had front to back and alittle side to side blade play, which I did end up feeling after messing with the knife more. They women on the phone was very nice and said that she would she me a shipping label to send the knife to them. She also told me that it would take 4 to 8 weeks turn around. She said they are current at 5 weeks. I will be sending the knife hopefully today or tomorrow. I’m sure they will make things right.

If said soccer ball is firmly attached to the ground, just like the ceramic lock ball, no problems standing and balancing on it.
And what if said soccer ball is attached to something that could easily move side to side instead? Put pressure on a ball and it will roll. Since it can't roll the thing it's attached to will bend or flex. It's not rocket science.

And what if said soccer ball is attached to something that could easily move side to side instead? Put pressure on a ball and it will roll. Since it can't roll the thing it's attached to will bend or flex. It's not rocket science.

Flex is up down...lockbars move relatively easy side to side...not easily, because then they would slip. So I stand by my “uneducated” guess. Up down play should not happen. And it doesn’t on mine.

My small 31 came with up and down play, sent it to crk ......and it came back with the same amount of play. It's not flex, it's play and goes click, click when I wiggle the blade.

Hey guys! Brand new to forum. First post, and first CRK. So I just received my small Sebenza 31 in the mail today. First thing I did out of the box was check the blade play. It had lock rock. The born date was November 17, 2020. I don’t know if I was just excepting a really tight knife or not, but the blade play seems to be excessive. Side to side seems fine though. I contacted CRK and I am waiting for a reply.
Likewise. Small 31, birthdate in early Nov.
Mine produced a slite audible and tactile "clicking" when wiggled in hand--not dissimilar to a lockback. Table top test revealed that the edge could be made to contact the tabletop under what I would describe as "moderate" pressure, i.e., pressing down w/two or three fingers. A very helpful CRK rep told me that this sounded out of spec. Some folks will see returning the knife over this flex "issue" as a bit silly, but that clicking was too much for me...

My knife reached CRK on 11/25. I will try to remember to post updates so that you can have some sense of when yours might be on its way back to you!
To think, I sprung for express shipping when I purchased it b/c I didn't want to wait all Thanksgiving weekend to have my first CRK in pocket! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's posts on their experiences with the 31. I currently own three other CRK folders and I'm very interested in the 31. I've been following the teething problems with the 31 design to see when they get them under control. It appears they do not yet. Still the same issues popping up on newly manufactured models and much worse, being returned from warranty with audible clicking noises as the blade shifts? No thanks. I'll check back in in six months or a year to see if there have been any manufacturing changes or updates to the 31.

Likewise. Small 31, birthdate in early Nov.
Mine produced a slite audible and tactile "clicking" when wiggled in hand--not dissimilar to a lockback. Table top test revealed that the edge could be made to contact the tabletop under what I would describe as "moderate" pressure, i.e., pressing down w/two or three fingers. A very helpful CRK rep told me that this sounded out of spec. Some folks will see returning the knife over this flex "issue" as a bit silly, but that clicking was too much for me...

My knife reached CRK on 11/25. I will try to remember to post updates so that you can have some sense of when yours might be on its way back to you!
To think, I sprung for express shipping when I purchased it b/c I didn't want to wait all Thanksgiving weekend to have my first CRK in pocket! :rolleyes:
I just shipped mine yesterday. Crk sent me a shipping label so I’m not sure how long it will take to get there. I’m in no rush now that I ordered a large Sebenza 21 with micarta inlays to play with will I wait. :D

Guess I'm the lucky one. I've had 3 31's so far, with a 4th on the way. No lock rock lock, blade play or the like. Not sure what some of these have that others don't. Use the f'ing thing to cut things. Doubt it will fail in any task you ask of it. Geeze. o_O

I’m really surprised at all these people defending CRK in this matter. I love CRK but I will also hold them to the manufacturing and tolerance standard that they set. Letting them off the hook for playing this off as a design feature doesn’t do them any good.

Guess I'm the lucky one. I've had 3 31's so far, with a 4th on the way. No lock rock lock, blade play or the like. Not sure what some of these have that others don't. Use the f'ing thing to cut things. Doubt it will fail in any task you ask of it. Geeze. o_O
Same with me I bought a new sebemza 31 birth date July 31, 2020 no issues at ......at all ! I now think it lies on the shoulders of the people who make them "sometimes they care , sometimes they don't period and now they dump a tube of locktie to solve the screws backing out , when they boasted never use it the tolerances are so perfect. No explaination just use it. I glad mine is the quality you used to expect from CRK , just a sad event for those who buy in good faith and wind up very unhappy.

I’m really surprised at all these people defending CRK in this matter. I love CRK but I will also hold them to the manufacturing and tolerance standard that they set. Letting them off the hook for playing this off as a design feature doesn’t do them any good.

Absolutely. My 21 feels like a vault. The new 31's should be the same, if not better....PERIOD. This isn't the price range where there should be any variation, especially since this lock face isn't new technology for them.

Maybe it's just a bold strategy to sell off the last of the 21's :D

Back