Shaman sprint run?

This is great to hear! I'm in the BHQ lottery, but even in the event that I did win I must admit that the rarity of this knife might prevent me from using it as I'd prefer to. I'd like to use this knife without worry as an outdoor/hiking folder, and let the micarta get a nice patina as a reminder of the adventures I carry it on. I'm no flipper, but I just think that the opportunity cost of my $200 knife being a potential $350+ knife would always be in the back of my mind. It may sound strange to some, but that's just the way my brain works.

To be honest, I'd probably be in for this knife no matter the choice of steel (do love my Cru-Wear Manix though). However whichever steel is chosen for this extended run, IMO a stonewashed finish would match the look of micarta scales best. (Just thought I'd throw that out there ;))

I barely notice a difference between 3V and Cruwear.

Here is an idea for a complementary steel: CPM 154, the toughest stainless :)

It all depends on the heat treat of both steels.
Both are awesome in my opinion, but Sal said it’ll be a different steel so 3v would be amazing.
CPM-154 would be an awesome option so hopefully it won’t be laminated S90v/CPM-154 version. I’m not sold on that process.

I have already been thinking that Green Micarta with CPM 154 CM would be the perfect release because one of the most classic knives is the Loveless Drop Point Hunter in Green Micarta and 154 CM.

Why not just make Cruwear/PD1 a production steel?... it obviously sells like crazy, is easier to grind and sharpen, and it's more user friendly, and holds an edge longer compared to s30v/s35vn.

Only downside is the minor lack of corrosion resistance, Ive left my Cruwear wet for days and even when rust forms it can be scraped off with a fingernail or a thumbtack, It doesn't pit like M4 or REX other tool steels.
Just my opinion.

Why not just make Cruwear/PD1 a production steel?... it obviously sells like crazy, is easier to grind and sharpen, and it's more user friendly, and holds an edge longer compared to s30v/s35vn.

Only downside is the minor lack of corrosion resistance, Ive left my Cruwear wet for days and even when rust forms it can be scraped off with a fingernail or a thumbtack, It doesn't pit like M4 or REX other tool steels.
Just my opinion.
Best idea yet.
Great steel for a large folder that can be a hard user.

Alright, got mine a couple of days ago, fine-tuned Pivot and centering, loctite is cured, knife is in my pocket now.

I have to admit that this knife made me change my mind on Micarta, no custom scales necessary. Even if I won't use it in the kitchen, the scales feel great. My first Shaman, and I like the compression lock better than on the PM2. No bouncing with the heavy blade, and the lock inside the smooth scales does not create a hotspot between thumb an index finger.

And if anybody cares, got it at countryknives. @MSRP, but reliable shop with decent shipping costs and no taxes for me. It was worth it I feel.

i-C9S7xGc-X4.jpg

All this talk got the juices flowing again:D Sure love my Micarta Cruwear but open armed to all on the way. This Shaman is a winner in my book.
Maybe a more textured micarta scale for even a better grip to boot ;) and it would turn to lust and love rolled into one :cool:
tPVQQPZ.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I don't think Maxamet compliments the Shaman at all. Super hard and chippy steels like Maxamet should be on pure slicers, not harder use knives that are built to take some torque.

Absolutely agree, M4 has already been done. IMO, 51200 or K390 would fit better for the Shaman.

^^^ I agree with you guys ... Just that Sal mentioned picking a steel complementing CPM Cruwear, not complementing the Shaman per se. My favorite along these lines would be CPM 154, actually.

So, what the heck is going on with the BHQ lottery??? Not a SINGLE mention here or at the home Spyderco Forums of anyone being contacted to purchase a CruCarta Shaman from BHQ... o_O

Pretty sure that Elmax wins the toughest stainless steel award.

So, what the heck is going on with the BHQ lottery??? Not a SINGLE mention here or at the home Spyderco Forums of anyone being contacted to purchase a CruCarta Shaman from BHQ... o_O

Pretty sure that Elmax wins the toughest stainless steel award.

it was a dog and pony show

Even M390 beats Elmax. Note that for CPM-Cruwear, you have to look at the Z-wear points below. What's called Cruwear below is not powdered.

i-g63Lp5v-M.jpg

i-skhpTfS-M.jpg

If all of that data you quoted is Larrin's, I'd like to see what the manufacturers claim instead (I take pretty much everything Larrin publishes with a very large dose of salt). This is the first time I've ever heard any claim that M390 is tougher than Elmax! (Also note that the two different curves are not the same type of toughness, and therefore cannot be directly compared.) Not that what you're telling me is impossible, but it is far from what I've seen previously.

Understand. But it's all I found about Elmax, in terms of actual data. Would love to see other data references, if available.

Now, I have M390 and S35vn ZT 0452 knives, and I've chipped the S35vn but not the M390 copy yet. Also have a couple of ZT Elmax knives, haven't chipped them yet but they have very different geometry. Chip resistance is what I'm looking for, and that's why I like CPM Cruwear so much, combined with pretty good stain resistance and ease of hand-sharpening. I guess I'm a little rough on my folders, this is what I did to my 4V Manix 2 on its first day in the yard:

i-fNJ3gkC-X2.jpg

That's why I like data. People go on and on about toughness of 4V, but it's not in my experience, at least with Spydercos HT and high hardness. Don't get me wrong, I love that steel for what it is ....

Last edited:
I barely notice a difference between 3V and Cruwear.

I don't have any experience with CPM-154 or AEB-L or even Elmax, but if you are basing it on Larrin's chart, doesn't AEB-L win for toughest stainless?

If anyone could come to a consensus of what it the toughest of these 3, I would like one to try out in a different Micarta color like Burgundy or Black. And 3V in the other color!

Is AEB-L really as tough as shown on the chart? I know it takes a razor edge but had no idea it has that level of toughness (granted these charts may not be perfect).

I don't have the knowledge and experience of many here, have seen Elmax referred to as the toughest stainless powder steel though.

What I do know is my 3 Elmax folders have an awesome balance of edge holding and ease of sharpening, and are at least tough enough for the general use i put them to. Elmax Shaman very much works for me. Still want Cru-wear though.

Otherwise I'm wary of what a 'complementary' steel will be, will just have to trust Sal/Spyderco on that.

I don't have the knowledge and experience of many here, have seen Elmax referred to as the toughest stainless powder steel though.

What I do know is my 3 Elmax folders have an awesome balance of edge holding and ease of sharpening, and are at least tough enough for the general use i put them to. Elmax Shaman very much works for me. Still want Cru-wear though.

Otherwise I'm wary of what a 'complementary' steel will be, will just have to trust Sal/Spyderco on that.
My uneducated guess is the complementary blade steel will be M390;) Sporting Blue denim micarta.

What’s a definition of hard use ?
I don’t think there’s a blade steel ever produced that will keep the internet happy or content lol.
I use to be a blade steel snob myself until reality hit and realized as long as it holds a edge and is reasonably easy to sharpen I’m a happy camper.
Do I have my favorites ? Of course I do but I’ll never tell the blade steel Executioners here :D Which would turn this thread into a blade steel war/battle lol.

Back