Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

Upper level on ALL counts! Mastersmith Aaron @WilburnForge impresses on *every* aspect.⁠

This stag Bowie seems subtle, yet commands authority.⁠

His steel patterns and his leather work are unsurpassed! ⁠
ABS: Mastersmith⁠
Knife: Fixed Bowie⁠
Model: Diamond Mosaic Damascus⁠
BL/OAL: 10 3/4"... 16"⁠
Material: 1084 & 15n20⁠
Forged_by: Aaron Wilburn⁠
Bolster: Wrought-iron guard and buttcap⁠
Handle: Nickel silver trim, bronze spacer, Sambar Stag⁠
Sheath: Aaron Wilburn⁠

(CLICK to see exciting VIDEO presentation!)

WIlburn_210219.jpg

'Elmer Keith' design by Dennis @FriedlyKnives and Gil @HibbenKnives.⁠

Apparently Elmer is *legendary* in the world of firearms. Looks like he designed a VERY formidable hunter. THICK spines! ⁠

Here's his bio:⁠

Elmer Keith was an Idaho rancher, firearms enthusiast, big game hunter and firearms writer. ⁠
Among the many handgun and rifle loads that he helped to develop the two most famous would have to the 44 magnum and 41 magnum. At times Keith was described as cranky, obstinate and eccentric, but also outspoken,brilliant, generous and a good friend. ⁠
Keith was unique and has earned himself a place in the history of American firearms and hunting.⁠

Both of these outstanding knives carry scrimshaw: Connie Bellut and Barbara Cullen.⁠

Brought to me by a savvy collector. What a privilege.⁠

Friedly_210221-wweb.jpg Hibbon_210221 copy.jpg

Old *and* NEW! Ben @Kamon_Knives provided me with his stunning example of his illustrious work.⁠

That hammered forge finish on his san-mai blade is a centuries old technique, and his adaptation of titanium bolsters on his take-down handle is space-age modern.⁠

Model: Stainless steel shichi mai denty gyuto⁠
BL/OAL: 255mm/385mm⁠
Material: 7 layer stainless steel shichi mai with 1.2519 cutting layer⁠
Forged_by: Benjamin Kamon⁠
Bolster: Titanium dark grey⁠
Handle: Ringed gidgee⁠
Sheath: Benjamin Kamon⁠
Knife Comments: 1.2519 hardened to 65hrc, heat treatment with fluidized Sand bed, cryo treatment, fully water cooled grind⁠

Kamon_210225.jpg

Talwar! Holy smokes.... @JamieLundell and Sandeep @TraditionalArtDecor worked together on this FORMIDABLE Talwar sword.⁠

Model: Key pattern mosaic Talwar⁠
BL/OAL: 31⁠
Material: 1080 15N20⁠
Forged_by: Jamie Lundell⁠
Bolster: steel, silver⁠
Handle: steel, silver, gold⁠
Knife Comments: Handle finished in engraving and Koftgari by Sandeep Singh Chauhan⁠

Jamie: #DragonsBreathForge #ForgedinFireChampion

Lundell_Chauhan_210217A.jpg

The BOLD and the BEAUTIFUL! @RaphaelDurandKnives always impresses and never disappoints. ⁠

This beauty acquired and provide by Ryan @NorseRavens who ONLY collects the finest in cutlery and makers.⁠

This model is called 'Ryan' according to my infosheet. That's a callout to his influence in the highest order.⁠

At least I 'owned' it for a few days! LOL!⁠

Durand_210227B copy.jpg

Hey GOOD lookin'! @ChrisSharpKnives allows us to peek inside and through his captivating folders.⁠

He's jigged the vintage paper micarta to perfection!⁠

Knife: Dress Slipjoint Folder⁠
Model: single blade trapper⁠
BL/OAL: 3.5/8⁠
Material: Damascus 15n20/1075⁠
Forged_by: Maker⁠
Bolster: 416ss integral bolster,liner,shield⁠
Handle: vintage paper micarta⁠
Knife Comments: patent pending design⁠

Sharp_210227A.jpg

'Ring Hilt' sword by @SwordMatt Parkinson, JS. ⁠
The bladesmiths from #DragonsBreathForge are renowned for outstanding forged pieces, and Matt's a Kingpin.⁠

There is WAY more involved in this than his write-up and my simplistic remarks. I know you understand this.⁠

Model: Ring hilt sword⁠
BL/OAL: 35/45⁠
Material: L6⁠
Forged_by: MP⁠
Bolster: Steel⁠
Handle: Poplar core cord and leather⁠

Parkinson_210301.jpg

mckgreg mckgreg Thank you!

Straight up BEAUTIFUL! Anders @HogstromKnives gives us pause on his 'boot knife'. (An older term for a knife and sheath small enough to be hidden discreetly in a tall Western Boot.)⁠

Read more:⁠

Knife: Fixed Dagger⁠
Model: Boot knife⁠
BL/OAL: 4 1/4"⁠
Material: 1050 carbon steel with hamon⁠
Bolster: sculpted copper⁠
Handle: Beech burl w high gloss finish⁠
Sheath: custom leather by Balatoni⁠

Hogstrom_210304.jpg

THIS refined *hunter* by Marc @Aldrich_Knife (BF @i4Marc ) makes us smile. It's got Bentley quality for a trip to the grocery store. ⁠

Caviar dreams!⁠

Knife: Fixed Hunter⁠
BL/OAL: 5.5"/10.5"⁠
Material: AEB-L⁠
Bolster: 416 Stainless with Copper⁠
Handle: Stabilized Lace Redwood, Domed Copper Pin⁠
Sheath: Marc Aldrich⁠

Aldrich_210304.jpg Aldrich_210304B-wweb.jpg

So....... Fototime.com has been down for a week. I have been a paid subscriber since 2003, and THOUSANDS of my images have been posted here and on other forums.

Not showing. In fact I had to remove the two icons in my signature before I could post this note, because the page was trying to load them and hanging up.

There is a MAJOR cloud/internet provider in France whose building burned to the ground, affecting millions of websites (So they claim.) This could be why. This said, what is the recourse?

I have long ago dismissed the notion of a backup hard drive. If my house burns down, then what? Multiply this by petabytes now.... I have always backed up my data on outside servers (Google and Carbonite in my case). What does a cloud service do?

I have sent a note to support, and in the past they have always responded. We will see.

Never been a fan of free hosting. NOTHING is free. What I am paying for is permanence.

Or so I thought. :rolleyes:

'Peace pipe!!' A classic axe as executed by @Brothersville_knives / Pete Pruyn. ⁠

That texture in the steel is VERY rich and deep. Lot's of character in this one!⁠

Model: Damascus Pipe Ax⁠
BL/OAL: 4" / 15"⁠
Material: Hammered Twist Damascus⁠
Forged_by: Peter Pruyn⁠
Handle: Ash⁠
Knife Comments: Functional Pipe with mouthpiece , Draught Hole through the Handle, and a filtered Bowl.⁠
Pruyn_210306 copy.jpg

DOUBLE the elegance! @SBuzekKnives and @AliceCarterEngraver combine skills on this dual-bladed 'Texas Trapper'.⁠

Available @icce_show!

Model: Texas Trapper⁠
BL/OAL: Closed 4-1/2”, ⁠
Blade 3-1/2”, OAL 7-7/8"⁠
Material: Randy Haas ⁠
"Reverb" pattern damascus⁠
Forged_by: Randy Haas⁠
Bolster: 416 stainless ⁠
integral bolsters and liners⁠
Handle: Interior Mammoth ⁠
Ivory⁠
Comments: File worked spine⁠
Buzek_Carter_210304.jpg

Traditional 'bullet' pattern with a WINDOW?! @ChrisSharpKnives adds his characteristic view into this DREAMY stag trapper.⁠

Model: Single blade trapper⁠
BL/OAL: 3 1/8 / 7.5⁠
Material: Damascus 15n20/1075⁠
Forged_by: Maker⁠
Bolster: 416ss integral bolster,liner,shield⁠
Handle: amber stag⁠
Knife Comments: Patent pending design⁠

Sharp_210227B.jpg

Follow up to my note about the loss of my longtime image host: Fototime.com.

I googled them through Whois.com and found out their name was hosted through Network Solutions (still good to 2022).

I called Network Solutions and through 'Phone Jail' talked to someone who related their actual provider/host was 'Dallas Infrastructure Services LLC.'

I googled and then called and talked to a tech there, who related the cloud storage building burning in France had nothing to do with them. However he could NOT give me any information about why they were down. Privacy issues?

He took my name and info and said he would pass it along to the owners.... :rolleyes: I had already emailed them with no responses.

19 years of images and posts gone POOF?!! NO announcement or migration to a new service. No ability to get files back again? (I don't need that, but some do.).

Most importantly is the historical loss of images in THOUSANDS of posts and hundreds of threads I have used them for.

Not pleased. I'm sorry for this. :(

Follow up to my note about the loss of my longtime image host: Fototime.com.

I googled them through Whois.com and found out their name was hosted through Network Solutions (still good to 2022).

I called Network Solutions and through 'Phone Jail' talked to someone who related their actual provider/host was 'Dallas Infrastructure Services LLC.'

I googled and then called and talked to a tech there, who related the cloud storage building burning in France had nothing to do with them. However he could NOT give me any information about why they were down. Privacy issues?

He took my name and info and said he would pass it along to the owners.... :rolleyes: I had already emailed them with no responses.

19 years of images and posts gone POOF?!! NO announcement or migration to a new service. No ability to get files back again? (I don't need that, but some do.).

Most importantly is the historical loss of images in THOUSANDS of posts and hundreds of threads I have used them for.

Not pleased. I'm sorry for this. :(
A complete kick in the A$$. Given the various hosting site debacles, do you have any new advice regarding the storage of images (safety deposit box, iCloud, fire resistant safe, etc.)?

As I wrote above, the first line of 'backup' defence is a secondary hard drive or storage solution.

My choice is outside of my home. I also need it done automatically; Google Drive and Carbonite are both being employed by me for this reason.

This said, accessibility and efficiency to access and post images is a different service. Fototime, Photobucket, Imgur, Imagehost, etc all offer BB code links quickly. Not so with the backup storage services.

Who can you trust? Photobucket was great until they took your images as hostage for $400 a year. Prior to them in the 2000's were others who went kaput. Imgur? Free? Ummmm.... Till when? Here is a comprehensive list of features and hosts: Wikipedia Photo Sharing Sites.

What I haven't lost are the files. It's the visual images and thousands of hours of work to post and describe them.

Priceless loss.

Priceless loss.

Very sorry ...

Since you asked, as a photographer: I've been using smugmug for many years. US private family owned. Had enough cash to buy flickr. Then again, who knows what happens in the future.

In any case: always backup physically. You can buy disks with multiple Tbytes for < $100, and keep several in different locations.

As a software developer: if you can mimic the structure of your previous photo site at some new place, a moderator here might be able to update the forum photo links with a script. Check with them ...

Roland.

Back