Simply put, who makes the most bas ass sheaths guys?

There are some fine suggestions for awesome sheaths in this thread.

I have really been impressed with the quality and durability from

Dwayne, a.k.a "Leatherman".

This is one of his Leather and Kydex fusion sheaths.

:cool:

I've been very happy with Mashed Cat, Rainwalker, and Buy Brown Kydex, Rainwalker leather, and Kydex-lined leather from Martin Swinkels.

I also make my own from Kydex, but they don't compare to those listed in this thread for looks.

You might want to define what qualities you are looking for in "BadAssery"

Okuden, makes the strongest best retention, jump out of an Aircraft Kydex.

The BuyBrown sheaths that I have are like Speedos for knives, sleek and fast to present, and pretty secure if made with a sheath hole to match a Talon hole in a Busse knife, comfortable to carry.

The others I have used are all functional, but the two I listed are my choice for most of my knives.

Get on the phone and talk with the sheath makers and tell them the uses, the types of carry, if you are brush busting, scrambling up, down or across scree, if you end up on your ass sliding down steep terrain, you will just plain be Grateful for an Okuden, if you are spending time Driving a car or a 4wheeler of any kind, fishing/hunting, but very seldom fall, then a BuyBrown will be more comfortable and easier to use.

I've been thinking hard about doing one of these with kydex fusion utilizing really thin leather for the front to keep the thickness down. :)

Silas, and Leatherman, thx for actually taking time to post pics! I appreciate that! I have to say, in regard to "kydex lined leather", that's a new one to me! I would think a "leather lined kydex" sheath would be more appropriate, but hey, what do I know? Lol IOW's, a kydex sheath that securely holds the knife via handle/scales snapping in, without kydex touching the blade (as many kydex makers are doing now), however, the idea I've always had in my mind for years now, is to Ho ahead and line the inside of the kydex sheath with leather, which would serve to lessen your chances even more of scratching the blade, upon insertion/removal.
I don't know, just a thought I've had running in my head for years. Spoke with a guy out of state today who actually has the same idea coincidentally as well.
I guess some guys just want the retention of kydex, on the inside, and the look of leather on the outside eh? Hell, how bout this to blow your mind? A kydex lined leather sheath, that's ALSO lined with leather??? IOW's, you've got 3 layers! First up, is a thin layer of leather deep inside almost touching (but not quite) the blade, for scratch prevention. Next, you've got the main kydex body of the sheath, for ultra tight retention. Possibly with lightening slots throughout to keep this tri layered sheath's weight down. Then, finally, for those who want the look of leather, you coat the outside of the kydex with leather, thus resulting in a sheath that looks like the kydex lined leather sheath above. Wheeew! Was that confusing enough for everyone????

All great suggestions !
One more kydex/leather fusion is Martin Swinkel or Martin Sheaths. Awesome blend....I only have 1 of his. It is kydex wrapped in leather. ;)
ETA -Up Armored do leather or nylon lined kydex sheaths. Great work.

If you really want a bad ass sheath that can be custom done to you specs by someone who is innovative and artistic with leather and kydex J&G designs is who you want! http://jgsheaths.blogspot.com/
IMG_2840.jpgIMG_2996.jpgIMG_3261.jpgIMG_53411_zpsf45f694b.jpg
these are just some examples of what he can do and loves getting new designs people would like to try out! His instagram is where youll find his most recent work plus his turn around time on most work is never longer then 2 weeks and thats on orders with heavy tooling and carving!

All great suggestions !
One more kydex/leather fusion is Martin Swinkel or Martin Sheaths. Awesome blend....I only have 1 of his. It is kydex wrapped in leather. ;)
ETA -Up Armored do leather or nylon lined kydex sheaths. Great work.
Unfortunately Swinkles was banned a while back for leaving a few of his customers without sheaths and no contact.
If you really want a bad ass sheath that can be custom done to you specs by someone who is innovative and artistic with leather and kydex J&G designs is who you want! http://jgsheaths.blogspot.com/
View attachment 403501View attachment 403502View attachment 403503View attachment 403504
these are just some examples of what he can do and loves getting new designs people would like to try out! His instagram is where youll find his most recent work plus his turn around time on most work is never longer then 2 weeks and thats on orders with heavy tooling and carving!
Now he is a good alternative to Martin. :)

I can also attest to J&G making great sheaths, had a very nice leather TGLB they made a while ago and I loved it! Great retention for my tastes….. :)

All the makers mentioned are great, but like al g blenny said, there isn't a best, just opinion/preference. I would just get an idea of what you want and look around, maybe talk to a few people, and pull the trigger. I am pretty sure you'll be satisfied with any maker the awesome people on this forum mention.

A few I love that haven't been mentioned:
-Godspeed Tactical (kydex)
-Chuddy Bear (leather)
-Mikey Moto (leather)

I think I'm going to try to get a Chuddy Bear one next. I have quite a few I want some nice leather for (A TGLB being one of them)

Thanks for the mention! I only work with Kydex with the exception of my leather danglers that have a Kydex insert with a Kydex sheath of course (pic):

dfab66e7-04aa-4ba2-98f7-4ea625a8f932_zpsd121dc99.jpg

9ca3029b-d919-4ddb-9166-fb70a2c9d70f_zpse08e49b8.jpg

6717f515-41f2-438f-8098-143d948c7494_zps5d3c67cf.jpg

368f0b54-1ab2-4c5a-9681-2f9c8d080227_zps67b131a5.jpg

My preference is to (whenever possible) use a synthetic material over leather where leather is traditionally used... bombproof and guaranteed for life:
7ad73bd7-f02a-4403-ad58-fdc2689d90dc_zpsd995d342.jpg

Eli

View attachment 403501View attachment 403502View attachment 403503View attachment 403504

What's the deal on the bottom left, red toned sheath?
What's the round/cylindrical object down at the bottom??

That bottom cylinder on the red black sheath is an exotac match holder with the matching exotac fire striker on the left side

Dave Brown is a true gentleman and a fine maker, you will not be disappointed with his work. Another interesting maker with the best jumpable retention system is Kevin Robinson at TIE Tactical. He does sheaths for Todd Begg.

Hope it helps and great thread btw.

Lawrie

Well thanks Hooligan, but I wasn't really looking for a list of sheath makers. I came here to ask Busse knife owners who they felt was the most innovative sheath maker(s) out there.

ahhh .. I wasnt aware Busse owners have the corner on the collective opinion of who's the most innovative sheath maker(s) out there. :rolleyes:

But .. You're welcome.

Has anyone mentioned Murf's Paw yet? I think he only does Kydex, but he did a really nice SYKCO 711/Leatherman tool piggyback sheath for me.

ahhh .. I wasnt aware Busse owners have the corner on the collective opinion of who's the most innovative sheath maker(s) out there. :rolleyes:

But .. You're welcome.

Ahhh, well now you know my friend. Of course Busse knife owners are the ones to ask, when one is looking for a TGLB sheath. You are welcome

Back