Sleeping with knives

Note the patch on my plate carrier :D

I like the tactical shoe. If you pull that thing out, the home invader is screwed.

As of June 2006, I'm a nonviolent felon.

I'm super happy to have looked upon this thread!

Now I know I'm not alone when my wife yells at me!!

Hu die dao tucked between the mattress and bedframe, light and g23.
In hand sounds like a shot at midnight stitches...

I know this is a strange post, but I wanted to know if anyone else sleeps with a knife in their bed. Either under the pillow, on the nightstand, or in hand like I do. It's a bad habit, and my wife hates it. I do practice safe habits when doing this by never sleeping with autos, assisted openers(ok, I slept with a ZT350 last night), or unsheathed fixed blades(unprotected).
I'm actually quite serious about this, and wanted to know if I'm the only one.

No, I do not sleep with a knife in my hand or under my pillow.

I did not sleep with a handgun in my hand or under my pillow either when I owned and shot my former handguns in various calibers either.

I still shoot a few lever action and single shot bolt action RIFLES but I do not 'sleep' with them.

I do not think it is a safe practice having a TOOL, including a sharp pointy pencil, in your hand or under your pillow if you toss and turn a lot and are ASLEEP. I would not sleep in the same bed if my husband did that due to safety reasons.

I have heard of many people who sleep with a gun UNDER their pillow though. NOT my immediate friends, my late husband or my MT husband.

I did have a handgun (Past tense.) NEXT to my bed by my eyeglasses and flashlight though when I shot and owned handguns. I was a HIGH volume shooter and into self defense big time. I ALWAYS kept a spare box of ammunition by my side of the bed too. Sometimes two boxes of ammunition.

I am still into self defense. It is important to me especially since I am alone a lot and as a senior citizen. I believe in keeping up your skills using any type of TOOL.

Since I no longer own or shoot handguns due to my arthritis, I have a knife NEXT to my bed with my eyeglasses and flashlight now. I have a Sog Fasthawk in the bedroom too.

My husband has his handgun and a knife by his side of the bed with his flashlight.

I sleep on a quality mattress in a nice van when I CAMP. I do not sleep in a tent in grizzly bear country. I have a rifle, a camp axe and a knife or two in the VAN and they are within reach of me when I am sleeping and behind the only two (Bucket.) seats in the van too. I can reach them when I am up front sitting in my seat when my husband is driving too.

He has his own rifle, handgun and knives close to him if he needs them while we are in remote areas too. He always has a pocket knife on him. He always has a multi tool kit on his belt too. He open or conceals carry a handgun where it is legal depending on the location too.

I carry a small Buck FB Ranger Skinner #113 knife on me when I am out and about too.

Added more: I can't imagine a single lady, a widow, a man or a couple NOT having some type of TOOL by their bed - next to their bed for protection or self defense. Scissors, spray, etc. even if they did not want a knife or a gun by their bed no matter if they had one or two dogs and NO matter if they lived in the country, city or suburbs. There are too many criminals out there and NO place is safe even if you THINK it is!

Cate

Last edited:
Looks like you have everything BUT the bulletproof vests and gas masks!

^^^

LOL @ CM.

We are not into the those vests or masks. We are not into most of that STUFF.

We do have the fishing poles though!

Usually my husband goes grouse hunting at the same time when we camp and he likes to FISH too!

Where I USED TO CAMP back east before I moved out west... it was not in grizzly bear country and it was not super, super REMOTE. Now, you wonder about the animals and not just the 4 legged ones in some parts of the western states not just all over the country. I think that the wilderness/woods brings out some of them according to our news.

Been there - done that at a attempted home break in-robbery when my late, female German Shepherd NAILED the perp many moons ago. I was Not the only or First Victim of the bad guy (Thief and home invader.) either. He was caught later on. The proof of my breezeway with blood splatters, a coffee can that had held clothespins, other things at the scene of the crime and his CHEWED UP ARM and part of his body plus being caught in another attempt helped close the CASE. MY GS stopped him and he FLED. He never got INTO THE HOUSE or INTO THE GARAGE but he did get into the breezeway. The fence was not built yet since we were just into our newly built house. MY dog pulled her HEAVY CUSTOM BUILT DOG HOUSE with a chain and JUMPED THROUGH THE BREEZEWAY WINDOW AND NAILED THE CRIMINAL. Uh huh. Good dog and thank God she was okay. The bad guy was CASING OUR HOUSE and he did other houses and businesses at all times of day and night. My late husband and I were working in the city when this happened.

Cate

I had another incident but I will not go into that.

All I can say is that ANY WOMAN or MAN should have something by the side of their bed for self defense unless they are a complete pacifist.

Heck, a freaking garden tool like a rake or even a broom would come in handy.

Some men or women who hate knives and guns have or plan on using a baseball bat for SELF DEFENSE. Beats me, I never used one other than for playing ball.

Any port in a storm...

Cate

[video=youtube;kjN4l8luNy4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjN4l8luNy4[/video]

I keep several knives on my nightstand. Not for self defense though. It's just easier to grab one in the mornings. The ar15 propped up by my bed handles self defense duties

If I were to use a non firearm for self defense it would be a machete or baseball bat... proven weapons

As long as you allow your wife to sleep with a machete in her hand...

All 3 of my children have 5 D/A OTF hawkbill switchblades on each hand... and they sleep in my bed. Does that count?

Back