Sleeping with knives

Going with the thought experiment theme...

So, an intruder armed with a firearm makes it to your bedroom while you sleep.
Due to there being no weapons in sight, the intruder:
A) Gently wakes you up, gives you a coffee and challenges you to a rules filled bout of fisticuffs.
B) Shoots you anyway, because he's out of his mind on crack, and criminals aren't about fair play anyway.

Sorry, I meant no weapons in view...

Sorry, I meant no weapons in view...

Not to sound all Billy Badass here as I most certainly am not...

But if I managed to break into your place and get over to where weapons might otherwise be in view (your nightstand next to your bed for example) I'm pretty close to you already, and if that happens, and you really haven't been disturbed or woken up yet, I'd likely just kill you in your sleep before you woke up and got one of your weapons out of view, honestly.

Which I think is what some of us are trying to get at in this thread. (okay, at least me). Even if you don't generously provide me with one of your own weapons in plain view, and even if I broke in and did not have a firearm of my own, if I can get that close, and you're still sleeping, it's over already.

Not to sound all Billy Badass here as I most certainly am not...

But if I managed to break into your place and get over to where weapons might otherwise be in view (your nightstand next to your bed for example) I'm pretty close to you already, and if that happens, and you really haven't been disturbed or woken up yet, I'd likely just kill you in your sleep before you woke up and got one of your weapons out of view, honestly.

Which I think is what some of us are trying to get at in this thread. (okay, at least me). Even if you don't generously provide me with one of your own weapons in plain view, and even if I broke in and did not have a firearm of my own, if I can get that close, and you're still sleeping, it's over already.

I agree, if it is ever a factor things are lookin pretty bad for me either way. Lol i guess the only way I can explain this type of behavior to you would be to liken it to a superstition. Your beleif in things effects your state of mind regardless of their truth. I'll probably be dead either way if such a situation arises. Still, I'll have slept better while alive.

I really think that's the best advice I've seen on BF yet. Granted, I'm still new here.

I always kinda liked the idea of Mass, there are places there I want to visit. I too didn't know it was so dangerous. You don't really hear about it.... and with the media the way it is today, you know they jump on those violent stories and play it up as much as possible. Then again I'm not a newshound, perhaps I am not listening to the right stories.

So true man, so true.

You've seen some things, man.

It's weird...
On any given day my life seems rather routine, dull even.
Then I look back through the years and say "How the hell did I end up seeing or doing that?" :eek:

I agree, if it is ever a factor things are lookin pretty bad for me either way. Lol i guess the only way I can explain this type of behavior to you would be to liken it to a superstition. Your beleif in things effects your state of mind regardless of their truth. I'll probably be dead either way if such a situation arises. Still, I'll have slept better while alive.

And I totally understand this state of mind.

I'm a disabled guy that has to use a cane to walk, my legs don't work too well. I don't carry a knife for self-defense reasons and I don't carry a gun at all. Does a small part of me feel somehow "safer" with a nice knife on me? It does. I know logically that feeling of safety has no basis in reality, and as much as I know that is true, I still feel better with the knife, even though I have no reason to. HEck, the cane is a blunt object with a longer reach, it's probably better (provided I can keep my balance while swinging it).

It's weird...
On any given day my life seems rather routine, dull even.
Then I look back through the years and say "How the hell did I end up seeing or doing that?" :eek:

If that book of yours (that I still need to read) is not at least somewhat autobiographical, you need to write another book, man. ;)

Sounds like a plan. :D

I think it's great you've published on Kindle by the way... I've written a couple of novels and a ton of short stories, in my spare time, but nothing good enough that I'd even try to publish it.

This being a blade forum,i am astounded at the replies.

I feel like almost all the replies are akin to the dreaded "why would you carry a knife".

My EVER day carry knife is a Buck 309 "Companion" That knife has been with me though EVERY significant event in the past 30+ years. I sleep with that knife in my pocket. If there is a tornado or fire alarm, i am out the door,knife in pocket. That knife and my S&W .38 body guard, are the only non-replaceable items. I would be heart broken to loose them.

The op never once said or insinuated that his knife was for self defense.

In 33 years of law enforcement, i have seen too many knife incidents to count. All of the knife wielders won. Only one of the knife wielders had knife training.

As far as knives for self defense,Google "Tueller Drill". regards Henry

This being a blade forum,i am astounded at the replies.

I feel like almost all the replies are akin to the dreaded "why would you carry a knife".

My EVER day carry knife is a Buck 309 "Companion" That knife has been with me though EVERY significant event in the past 30+ years. I sleep with that knife in my pocket. If there is a tornado or fire alarm, i am out the door,knife in pocket. That knife and my S&W .38 body guard, are the only non-replaceable items. I would be heart broken to loose them.

The op never once said or insinuated that his knife was for self defense.

In 33 years of law enforcement, i have seen too many knife incidents to count. All of the knife wielders won. Only one of the knife wielders had knife training.

As far as knives for self defense,Google "Tueller Drill". regards Henry

If you truly don't understand the vast difference between "why would you carry a knife" and "why would you treat a knife like a teddy bear", then you seem to have the same affliction the OP is struck by. Because that's crazy talk, sorry.

This is a knife forum, and we all love knives. But that doesn't mean that crazy talk won't be called out as crazy talk.

Ha ha ha... Well, Comrade Lenin said that you have to study your enemies to beat them.... :D
This particular one isn't bad, I'd consider it classic, but example of pacifism could be in some way the Blackwater book on the top (didn't finish it yet).
It is very entertaining to read a liberal text and to discover in their own words how wrong are their values and ideas, proven with the facts they collected and presented themselves... :D
What can I say: I like to read...

4e28.jpg

Thomas Cleary is an excellent translator. It is good that you are a avid reader. I also enjoy reading. Enjoy your books. :cool:

Thomas Cleary is an excellent translator. It is good that you are a avid reader. I also enjoy reading. Enjoy your books. :cool:
Thank you, I am enjoying reading... I wish I was able to read that particular one in Japanese... Unfortunately I'm only good with 2-3 languages and this is not one of them ... :D

I have been told by my ex's/current gf that I shout in my sleep, and motion with my hands... violently sometimes. Because of that I DO NOT keep my knives or guns anywhere near my bed. I'm sure all of you have heard of that story where a guy's phone rang and he picked up his gun instead of his phone on his bedside table and blew his brain out.

Yea.... I don't want to do that.

I know this may be considered a funny thread but this baby has gotten me out of more jams than I can count. You guys can say all day long, "don't bring a knife to a gunfight", but hows about this chopper. This bullet deflecting, retractable bad boy, sleeps next to me every night. I like to call it my concealed carry/sleep sword.
Sword_of_Omens_wr.jpg

Last edited:
I know this may be considered a funny thread but this baby has gotten me out of more jams than I can count. You guys can say all day long, "don't bring a knife to a gunfight", but hows about this chopper. This bullet deflecting, retractable bad boy, sleeps next to me every night. I like to call it my concealed carry/sleep sword.
View attachment 438267

If that is truly retractable and bullet-deflecting I want one... closest I'll get to a lightsaber.

View attachment 438267

...and it's got the "eye". Awesome! You'll see whatever is moving outside your house!:D

Back