Snarking at the speed of sludge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a smoking hot deal on a Cabelas brand outer shell. Way less than 1/2 price and it is nice!

Johnny - my mom's skillets are like that and my wife's aren't too far behind. I guess it comes from years and years of wear. I wish I got smoother with age. :D
Here lately I seem to have more aches and pains than ever. But the old timers assure me that I ain't seen nothin' yet. :thumbdn:

most real world people will never need, or see stuff like the artic needs

several co-workers going to the antarctic next month. stocking up on South Face gear.
me: sticking with Florida for the winter.

It's amazing how smooth some cast iron is. Smoother than a lot of non stick skillets.

I love that stuff, and have a #3. it's a good modest omelet size. The old stuff was all nicely ground smooth, unlike today's pebbly crap.

Its cold up here in the winter.... I got rid of my 1 jacket solution a long time ago. Now a days I'll double up on -20 sweaters and be comfy and warm. What I do need is a good outer shell that is weather proof.

I have a Carhartt extreme jacket with me wherever I go all winter, but I generally just wear a heavy sweatshirt if I'm not going to be outside for long in the winter.

So I did some quick research and the skillet is circa 1919-1940.
It had one small patch of surface rust that cleaned up perfectly.
Put some oil on it and it's in the oven seasoning.:thumbup:
It's amazing how smooth some cast iron is. Smoother than a lot of non stick skillets.

I have a couple cast iron land that my mom bought back in the late 60's or early 70's. They are nice and smooth too. I love cooking with them, but my gf hates them, so we also have a bunch if Teflon cookware.

Eta: crap!!!! I'm blue!!

Awesome!
I just scored a Griswold no. 3 skillet at the Goodwill for $3!!
Fantastic skillets, light and smooth. I have an old 8 & 6. My favorite skillets bar none. Take a season like none other.. I think I could cook just about anything in that #8 on the stove, in the oven or on a fire, and the #6 makes a mean grilled cheese.... Check online theres a couple ways to date them. I think when I dated mine the #8 was from 1940-1950 if I remember correctly.

Awesome!
Fantastic skillets, light and smooth. I have an old 8 & 6. My favorite skillets bar none. Take a season like none other.. I think I could cook just about anything in that #8 on the stove, in the oven or on a fire, and the #6 makes a mean grilled cheese.... Check online theres a couple ways to date them. I think when I dated mine the #8 was from 1940-1950 if I remember correctly.
Awesome!

yep. got the 8, 6, and 3. and another 8 half-cleaned up in the basement. i won't use anything else pan-wise.
AC, look into the health effects of cooking with teflon and show it to your GF - you know, if you want to have an argument. ;)

yep. got the 8, 6, and 3. and another 8 half-cleaned up in the basement. i won't use anything else pan-wise.
AC, look into the health effects of cooking with teflon and show it to your GF - you know, if you want to have an argument. ;)
Awesome!! I think one of my favorite things about them is thinking about all the years they have been around... Thinking how many mouths they have probably help feed over the years. Definitely a treasure.

Awesome!! I think one of my favorite things about them is thinking about all the years they have been around... Thinking how many mouths they have probably help feed over the years. Definitely a treasure.

I don't care much about those other mouths, but sure do care about mine. :D

Heck, I keep hearing rumors of red, but I'm out of the loop these days...

That's right, I forgot about Trade's big promotion. :thumbup:

In other news, that blankety-blank Strix of yours is all torn apart and ready for its regrind/new handles. I was hoping to just drill out the bolts/tube and pop the old scales off but... nope. Tried freezing it and knockin' 'em loose... no joy. Tried baking it at 300F... nothing. Had to grind 'em off. The good news is, I know the epoxy I'm using works :D

...but seriously, with layers, and synths, a normal body can deal with almost anything short of artic and space

one jacket solutions are dead

Right on. I've been a firm believer in layering pretty much my whole life. Getting back into wool, too... that's gonna take a while. I forgot how dang expensive decent wool can be :( Just have to keep my eyes peeled for deals and thrift stores and whatnot, I guess.

Ya JT, I just scored a heavy wool coat with a hood on etsy. A lot of their stuff is over priced but if you keep your eyes open you can get a good deal.

I must have missed school the day when they taught that not needing something meant not buying it... :D
Not needing it+not having cash for it (I refuse to use credit cards) means waiting till a time closer to needing it before buying it.

People scare me sometimes....

[video=youtube_share;ev-E6F1g3NE]http://youtu.be/ev-E6F1g3NE[/video]

whats up fellas? hope everyone is doing good.

i'm getting an Eagletac D25c....thinking i'm going to go for the Ti version. Anyone have one? WW how are you liking that Fenix PD35 ? pretty sure thats what you got, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back