Snarking at the speed of sludge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now go slice up some meat and veggies and see if any of the finish comes off. I'm really considering this mod but don't want to taste the coating if I use it for food prep.

Day 1 - used to make a salad. chopped up a bunch of really hard carrots / baby carrots... like anything polished... there are rub marks but I doubt the coating will ware. Still! I'll continue to use and report in!

Mornin' heads! I'm about 30 minutes shy of heading home. Followed by a short nap. The highlight of my day will be a 1 hour massage followed by a much longer nap.
What do y'all got going on today?

Thanks TBL! I've got some free time Sunday evening and maybe Monday too so I'll see if I can make this happen.

Good morning and happy Friday!! Saw this video on FB and thought it was hecka funny. Check it out.

[video=youtube_share;QqWpx6IGeXE]http://youtu.be/QqWpx6IGeXE[/video]

My darling wife is an experienced, inveterate and unrepentant smart-ass when it comes to replacing buttons... I am currently wearing BDU pants with a decidedly-not-original button holding my junk in check.

*shrug*

You can't tease us like this and not post a picture! :D

nice work TBL

Nice work Granite too.... But your shop is too organized.

Tomorrow is Friday. It is, it is.
HAHAHAHA!!! You have OBVIOUSLY not seen my shop. There is almost NOTHING organized about it.....I don't know how those nutdrivers managed to line up like that....
A36 = mild steel, structural steel.

As with most steels, A36 has a density of 7,800 kg/m3 (0.28 lb/cu in). Young's modulus for A36 steel is 200 GPa (29,000,000 psi).[2] A36 steel has a Poisson's ratio of 0.32, and a shear modulus of 75 GPa (10,900,000 psi).

A36 steel in plates, bars, and shapes with a thickness of less than 8 in (203 mm) has a minimum yield strength of 36,000 psi (250 MPa) and ultimate tensile strength of 58,000–80,000 psi (400–550 MPa). Plates thicker than 8 in have a 32,000 psi (220 MPa) yield strength and the same ultimate tensile strength.[1] The Electrical Resistance of A36 is 0.0000153 ohm/cm. A36 bars and shapes maintain their ultimate strength up to 650°F. Afterward, the minimum strength drops off from 58,000 psi: 54,000 psi at 700°F; 45,000 psi at 750°F; 37,000 psi at 800°F.

Yea.
blah, blah, blah......lots of words and no pictures of fornicating flies....snark?

My darling wife is an experienced, inveterate and unrepentant smart-ass when it comes to replacing buttons... I am currently wearing BDU pants with a decidedly-not-original button holding my junk in check.
I have military buttons what color do you need?

Good morning and happy Friday!! Saw this video on FB and thought it was hecka funny. Check it out.

[video=youtube_share;QqWpx6IGeXE]http://youtu.be/QqWpx6IGeXE[/video]

Google Bob & Tom Dickens' Cider.

So, yesterday was a loooong but one of the coolest days ive had in a loooong time. The guys I do the subcontract work for asked me to go along with them to deliver some parts our shop makes. Just so happened to be monster truck bodies for the monster trucks the river rat and the heavy hitter. Evidently the guy that owns and runs them is just a little over a hour away. Pretty cool dude. Awesome shop. Told him my son was a huge fan, he said bring him by anytime and he can get it the trucks and I'll show him all about them. Followed by free tickets to monster jam. Hell yeah!

Pretty cool huh, but thats not half of it. There was about three hours of driving time. The dude that was with me is half owner of the fiberglass business I do metal fab for. He recently moved down to this area and while moving him down here a lot of his stuff got moved into the same building my new shop is in. One of the things he had was a old motorcyle with a 750 triumph engine in it. Now, I got a thing for old triumphs. To make a very long story short, many years ago I had a 59 that I totally handmade a frame for. Made everything but the wheels. The engine was so old and rare being a pre unit magneto engine that it was too much to rebuild cause the parts where so rare. I sold it to a old biker buddy of mine and last I heard, he sold the engine and trans and put the roller in his dads barn. Pretty much forgotten about it for the last several years. I told my buddy John (dude I was with) that I wished I still had it. He told me to call the guy, since his place was on the way home, I did, Holy Shit! Not only did he have it, he said I could have it back for a new Tradewater. I was going nuts! So, now just a matter of making a deal with John on the donor bike............ I cant believe it. He said the title is in the glove box. I got it out and asked what he wanted for it. He said. "Im never going to do anything with it. You do a lot of stuff for us. You can have it." I still cant belive it. A blast from the past like just popped up and it im beyond excited. Seems like my life made a full circle yesterday.

Her she is in all of her glory, theres been a lot of parts robbed off of her but for nothing I cant make again. Shes in really good shape for being in a barn for all of these years. I made everything you see here except the wheels. Man, lot of memories and history here.

Shes over 9 ft. Long. Gonna have to get in a little better shape to ride this bad boy, been a lot years since ive been on a mean rigid

Heres the donor bike, missing a battery and fuel, but runs and has a title.

Whats really ironic. Is the old 1959 triumph that this started out being was gifted to me by the wife of a deceased friend of mine. Had great intentions with it. But with the kids, debt, dought and everything that happens it just didnt get finished. My buddy has been gone now for twelve years. The anniversary of his death is this weekend. I think maybe he knew that now in my life something like this can be done. Maybe its his way of telling me he wants to see it finished. I got a little emoitional when I got her back to my shop last night. I wont let her go again. I will do this. Have to now. :)

Last edited:
Todd, that is unbelievably awesome. We should celebrate with a few growlers this weekend!

Inquiring minds want to know - what did you order and what did you get? We know you order the good stuff. Did you get some A36? Or was it that good? :D

I ordered S35VN. What I got is unclear at this point. The supplier has demanded that I send him back a chunk of it so he can send it to a proper lab and have it analyzed, so we'll find out for certain. He has also insisted on sending me twice the amount that I ordered, gratis, to alleviate my frustration and loss of time. :thumbup:

I'll need their consent. I'm not above voyeurism, but I know the laws.

Off to the Quote Thread with you!

I like the amateur stuff better because the pros look at the camera too much.

"Breaking through the fourth wall" can be a powerful dramatic technique, but it's easily (and often) overdone. :thumbup:

JT, that kind of sucks but not surprising. If you can't do your job correctly you shouldn't have it!

You have a point! Knowing which steel is which is kind of important in this game... :rolleyes: I'ma call that supplier back today and see if he's calmed down any. I like him a lot and I definitely do not want him to stroke out and die over this :D (incidentally, he's the cat who donated us Beckerheads a bunch of FREE steel for the Grind-In at Ethan's last spring... the other supplier's underling made us pay regular price for steel for that project...)

Anyone ever get burned out on life? Starting to feel that way.

Chop up a buncha wood and make a big ol' bonfire for no particular reason. Enjoy your favorite beverage while basking in the warm glow. Reflect on all your blessings. That always helps me get my head straight. :)

What the heck is A36?

A36 is low-carbon steel. It's not good for blades, but it's excellent for structural stuff.

Chop up a buncha wood and make a big ol' bonfire for no particular reason. Enjoy your favorite beverage while basking in the warm glow. Reflect on all your blessings. That always helps me get my head straight. :)
Too wet right now, but a good plan. The wife and I are going camping next weekend. It will be a welcomed get-a-way.

Todd, that is unbelievably awesome. We should celebrate with a few growlers this weekend!

Jerry, make it Sunday. I got a Versteig knife for you. While your here, you can work on Jesse's Xmas present. Lol, its ready to go together.

The wife and I are going camping next weekend. It will be a welcomed get-a-way.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Hang in there, dude... relax a little. All that other life/career/pressure/society stuff is mostly bullshit, and sometimes you just need to step back from it for a couple days.

You can't tease us like this and not post a picture! :D

I can, and I will. Deal with it :p

Miss Angie loves to mess with my head when it comes to buttons.

More than a year or two ago, my favorite remarkably-heavy/thick, super-warm and ultra-comfy fleece hooded favorite jacket that I love dearly because it's my favorite, experienced a terrifying, heart-wrenching zipper failure. I was crushed... heart-broken... despondent. Woe was me.

"Whatever shall I do?" I cried to the heavens, wracked with despair. :(

My darling, kind-hearted wife exclaimed, "Do not fret, my dear, I can fix that for you!" My joy was unparalleled upon hearing this happy news! My heartfelt appreciation for this remarkable woman who for some unknown reason agreed to be my partner in life's trials and tribulations reached a whole new level of, "Holy smokes, I'm a very lucky dude".

Rather than cut button-holes, she sewed in vastly-sturdier loops made of 550 cord, so they would withstand any horrible conditions or abuse.

Then, with determined resolution, she sewed in buttons to match those loops, so they might work in concert and keep my beloved favorite fleece jacket securely wrapped around my carcass and keep me warm & cozy throughout my various adventures hither and yon.

But... (there's always a "but" in fables like this)... my beloved has a smart-ass streak a mile wide. So for this project, she chose to employ buttons made of bright baby-blue pearlescent something-or-other that looks more suited for a vaudeville go-go dancer than a quiet low-profile survivalist such as myself. :D

(I bitched about that long enough that she re-did the whole thing with more subdued buttons... but we all get the point of her smart-aleckyness... ;) )

Last edited:
Thanks James, appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back