• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

(SOLVED, happy with outcome) Need to call out a knife maker (Ken Coats) for his very poor response

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the replacement gets to me I will of course post about it here as honestly as I can, and amend and update this thread accordingly.

Man, I hate to break this to you, but I'd wager that you will never see a knife from Coats. I'll pop back in a month or three and see if I should chow down on my words, but I expect I won't have to. Good luck...

Boy, you're just a ray of sunshine! o_O

Listen, I'd LOVE to be wrong on this, I don't think the OP has done anything wrong himself (although it's damn near inevitable in every thread like this, someone will find fault with him more than the maker), but it is continually shown that more often, time does not "un-screw" the screwed...

Listen, I'd LOVE to be wrong on this, I don't think the OP has done anything wrong himself (although it's damn near inevitable in every thread like this, someone will find fault with him more than the maker), but it is continually shown that more often, time does not "un-screw" the screwed...
It's not that I'm disagreeing with you...

Man, I hate to break this to you, but I'd wager that you will never see a knife from Coats. I'll pop back in a month or three and see if I should chow down on my words, but I expect I won't have to. Good luck...

Yeah I'm afraid of that, from my point of view if I'm being cynical it seems that he sent me a parts knife to get him off my back, then said he'd send me a replacement, with no intention of actually sending it.
Of course I'm staying positive and hoping the knife I got was a mixup, and that he's been working on sending a replacement this whole time.

I have to say I'm more on the positive side than negative as it's hard to fake a tracking number, and also he ended up sending nothing then he stands to lose a lot more than me. It seems to me that we've worked through it, but in any case all that's left now is to wait

it's hard to fake a tracking number

Recently tried to order something off amazon and didn't pay attention that it wasn't being fulfilled by amazon. Got a tracking number, but when I went to check it after the estimated delivery date had come and gone, it said the item was delivered to somewhere in WA state, and I live in MA. Also, the delivery date was Dec 30, 2019, and I placed the order on 1/18/20o_O Contacted the seller and ended up getting a refund, but no explanation of what happened.

So, you have a tracking number for the replacement knife? Looking forward to seeing how this ends in a day or two. Good luck!

I don't have one yet but I assumed that in the event of a package not arriving, Ken would be obligated to provide the tracking number. Surely he couldn't just refuse, that'd look pretty shifty (Or am I being a little naive here?)

Reactions: TAH
I don't have one yet but I assumed that in the event of a package not arriving, Ken would be obligated to provide the tracking number. Surely he couldn't just refuse, that'd look pretty shifty (Or am I being a little naive here?)
I would offer to pay for shipping or at a minimum the cost to add tracking. I'm sure Ken would appreciate it and it would ensure you get tracking.

LOL What? I'm sure OP would "appreciate" getting what he's owed. Paying for shipping after this whole fiasco would be absolute LEAST Ken could do.
I said that is what I would do. Ken is making him a brand new knife. Ryan can do whatever he wants.

It's a bit ironic that I have been called to task in this thread for both supporting Ryan
and now (maybe) seeming to support the maker.

Y'all need to decide who the villain is in the scenario. I guess it is Ryan and Ken? Neither Ryan or Ken? Is it me?

Heck, I have gifted knives to Ryan that cost way more than the shipping for this knife. Ryan can tell Ken that I will pay for the shipping. PM me Ken's PayPal.

I said that is what I would do. Ken is making him a brand new knife. Ryan can do whatever he wants.

It's a bit ironic that I have been called to task in this thread for both supporting Ryan

Y'all need to decide who the villain is in the scenario. I guess it is Ryan and Ken? Neither Ryan or Ken? Is it me?

Heck, I have gifted knives to Ryan that cost way more than the shipping for this knife. Ryan can tell Ken that I will pay for the shipping. PM me Ken's PayPal.

I'm not calling you out or taking you to task. I was merely responding to a specific term you used, I have no issue with you personally or your stance.

My god after reading thru this thread it sure has been a circus. From me making spyderco clips to Blues returning one that wasn't up to
snuff and everything before, after, and in between. I can't post a pic cause the knife is headed to Ryan I'm sure one will come up soon enough.
Ken

My god after reading thru this thread it sure has been a circus. From me making spyderco clips to Blues returning one that wasn't up to
snuff and everything before, after, and in between. I can't post a pic cause the knife is headed to Ryan I'm sure one will come up soon enough.
Ken

Thanks for stepping up Ken.

It's great that Ryan has a replacement in the mail.

However. I am still curious why he recieved that slip joint from you with a long list of problems? The one with the piece of plastic inside of it acting as the kick?

Last edited:
Ken

Then you should have posted on the onset to set everything straight. Makes me just want to stay with GEC and use the darn thing and if it breaks, toss it. To spend my hard earned money on a custom to have sub par customer service is just something I don’t even want to think of dealing with. And I’m not supporting Ryan either. He should not have been so vocal in the beginning and then disappear. If I bought a custom
from you, how could I be assured you would not just bail on me for months?

^^ This is very classy of you, to offer this! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

And it really isn't that ironic, when stop you factor in who's calling you out.

Settle down folks, Ryan will be getting his knife in a matter of days, hope he puts up a pic of it.
Ken

^^ FWIW Ken: Had this been me, I would've picked up the phone, spoken to you man to man, & there's no doubt in my mind, we would've come up with an amicable resolution. :)

Ken

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back