• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

(SOLVED, happy with outcome) Need to call out a knife maker (Ken Coats) for his very poor response

Status
Not open for further replies.
TOMBSTONE TOMBSTONE Thanks for taking the time! However, what two knives? Maybe I missed something, but the way I read the OP's complaint was about sending a broken knife to the maker, a knife that he received as a present for his 21st Bday and, when the maker finally sent something back to the OP, it wasn't the repaired original knife the OP sent (the Bday knife), but another poorly made knife.
Is the maker saying that, in fact, the knife that the OP received WAS his '21st Bday present knife' repaired&modified?

Cheers!

I don't know, if I receive any further info, I'll update here.

Update: It's a brand new knife, built close to original specs except color of scales slightly different. Probably will ship early next week.
That's all the info I have. As far as the original broken knife, he didn't address it and I've done all the work I'm going to do for the OP. He'll have to pick up the phone

OP hasn't logged on to BF since Monday. I'm interested in what he has to say about any update. I'd have been pissed off, too, if a knife of sentimental value sent in for repair was not repaired but a POS replacement was sent with no explanation. It may be bad form for the OP not to be following up here to let us know what is going on, but Ken Coates could have logged in and told his side of the story, too, instead of passing along second hand that he doesn't agree with OP's version.

I think, after seeing those pictures, that I am glad the OP made the post that he did. The workmanship displayed is horrendous, hell, I've seen those so called "custom damascus knives" hawked at gun shows that were better fit and finished! If that is truly a Coats product, how is that defensible? There have been custom makers posted in this thread, if that was your product, what would you say about it? What would it say about you?

I think, after seeing those pictures, that I am glad the OP made the post that he did. The workmanship displayed is horrendous, hell, I've seen those so called "custom damascus knives" hawked at gun shows that were better fit and finished! If that is truly a Coats product, how is that defensible? There have been custom makers posted in this thread, if that was your product, what would you say about it? What would it say about you?
Unless I missed some of this I don't think anyone is defending the workmanship of the knife in the pictures. It is more than fair of the OP to be disappointed by it. I can only speak for myself but I think the only thing being called into question is why there has been no follow up. I hope this doesn't come across as defending the knife in question. Now that this is public I hope we get a conclusion. I'm not rooting agaisnt either party. It sounds like they both have good reputations and I hope this has been a misunderstanding between them and all is well for both of them. At this time, at least for me, there is not enough info to make a judgment call either way. I will wait and see how this plays out.

Hey fellas really sorry for not following up! As I've said, been fairly sick and also quite busy at work, though I agree I should've been far more prompt in following up and will cop that criticism.
(It also probably didn't help that I was just feeling bummed and not wanting to make time and deal with this while stressed out, but again I should've been more onto it.)
Thanks Last Rodeo for defending me there, I remember having some great interactions in the past, I do love the traditional forum.
Also thanks so much Tombstone for reaching out to Ken as well, that is much appreciated! I'm sure it helped us work through this.

I just checked my inbox and saw that Ken has responded, saying he didn't like that I was "telling lies" about him, and that I should "Be careful with the lies" and that my knife hadn't been broken before (It 100% has but I'm willing to accept that things get forgotten in the mix, as it has been a few years since the first break)
I just gave Ken a call and after a bit of back and forward I ended up giving him my address to send the replacement knife he made out to me, along with the pieces of my original knife, which I was happy about as they're sentimental to me.

Also weirdly enough, he had no idea what I meant when I mentioned the orange knife he sent me, asking me whether it had his mark on it or not.
I said that it was definitely marked 'Coats' but I suggested that it was probably just a mix up somewhere along the line. (Address's may have been mixed up or something, I honestly have no idea)
He said he'll send the package out soon so I should get it in a few weeks, so I'll be sure to update you all then.

I'm glad we could move forward in this matter, it wasn't my intention to slander Ken in any way and I'm glad we're going to get to a resolution soon in this bizarre turn of events.

Hey fellas really sorry for not following up! As I've said, been fairly sick and also quite busy at work, though I agree I should've been far more prompt in following up and will cop that criticism.
(It also probably didn't help that I was just feeling bummed and not wanting to make time and deal with this while stressed out, but again I should've been more onto it.)
Thanks Last Rodeo for defending me there, I remember having some great interactions in the past, I do love the traditional forum.
Also thanks so much Tombstone for reaching out to Ken as well, that is much appreciated! I'm sure it helped us work through this.

I just checked my inbox and saw that Ken has responded, saying he didn't like that I was "telling lies" about him, and that I should "Be careful with the lies" and that my knife hadn't been broken before (It 100% has but I'm willing to accept that things get forgotten in the mix, as it has been a few years since the first break)
I just gave Ken a call and after a bit of back and forward I ended up giving him my address to send the replacement knife he made out to me, along with the pieces of my original knife, which I was happy about as they're sentimental to me.

Also weirdly enough, he had no idea what I meant when I mentioned the orange knife he sent me, asking me whether it had his mark on it or not.
I said that it was definitely marked 'Coats' but I suggested that it was probably just a mix up somewhere along the line. (Address's may have been mixed up or something, I honestly have no idea)
He said he'll send the package out soon so I should get it in a few weeks, so I'll be sure to update you all then.

I'm glad we could move forward in this matter, it wasn't my intention to slander Ken in any way and I'm glad we're going to get to a resolution soon in this bizarre turn of events.
Unless the maker has some compelling counterpoints (which he doesn't seem interested in sharing), I don't think the OP has anything for which to apologize. I'd be pissed too.

I'm glad to hear everything got cleared up for you both

The issue at hand seems to be resolved, but I'm still curious as to what gave rise to the confusion, especially regarding the orange knife.
Also a little strange that Mr Coats doesn't remember the original knife having been broken and repaired before, if it has been.

OP, please let us know when you receive the knife. Some photos would be appreciated as well; I'm sure we'd all be interested to confirm that Mr Coats' usual level of quality persists.

Glad to see it resolved, but I would send him photo's of the questionable knife and return it after you are satisfied with your new one. That knife is still a mystery.
The thread helped get this resolved, but I think it might have been approached from a slightly different angle-opened to obtain contact info and state what your problem was that needed that, rather than a call out . Everything would still be there, just a less offensive way to approach a situation that still needed to be sorted out. IMO

Glad to see it resolved, but I would send him photo's of the questionable knife and return it after you are satisfied with your new one. That knife is still a mystery.
The thread helped get this resolved, but I think it might have been approached from a slightly different angle-opened to obtain contact info and state what your problem was that needed that, rather than a call out . Everything would still be there, just a less offensive way to approach a situation that still needed to be sorted out. IMO
Ken has unequivocally said he did not send him that knife and questions whether he is in fact the maker. He has now told that directly to both Tonbstone and Ryan himself. There is no reason to pour more salt into the wounds by making Ken take credit for the production of that knife or implying he is lying about sending it to him. Please let this sleeping dog lie, so Ryan can get the knife be deserves and can move on with his life.

If this issue is resolved this thread should be renamed or changed in some way that won't reflect poorly on the maker if someone searches his name. A little bad publicity can do alot of harm so if there is an explanation regardless of whether we all hear it or not I think it would be the right move on the part of the OP to adjust things accordingly. No need to cover up facts but the truth should be readily available. Im not sure if a BAD thread title can be modified or not.

Ken has unequivocally said he did not send him that knife and questions whether he is in fact the maker. He has now told that directly to both Tonbstone and Ryan himself. There is no reason to pour more salt into the wounds by making Ken take credit for the production of that knife or implying he is lying about sending it to him. Please let this sleeping dog lie, so Ryan can get the knife be deserves and can move on with his life.

If Ryan feels it would just cause problems , then I am in agreement. I was presuming Ken would want to get to the bottom of this, and the photo would help, but maybe not.
If they are both satisfied with things as they stand, I am too :)

Last edited:
This is starting to sound more like the OP should be called out not the maker.

This feels a lot more like someone trying to start up a social media lynch mob and playing fast and loose with the facts to do so.

This feels a lot more like someone trying to start up a social media lynch mob and playing fast and loose with the facts to do so.
I thought the same for a bit, but then I tried to think how I would react to receiving that knife in the mail... I am usually quite even-keeled, but that would likely have made me pretty upset, especially with no further response from the maker.

I thought the same for a bit, but then I tried to think how I would react to receiving that knife in the mail... I am usually quite even-keeled, but that would likely have made me pretty upset, especially with no further response from the maker.
I think we all would have felt the same.

I'm starting to believe that someone pulled a prank on Ryan and sent him that knife as a joke. Ryan rightfully assumed Ken sent it and was understandably upset.

Thankfully Ken has been working on his knife all along and is a mere days away from shipping it.

I'm certain Ryan will update us all accordingly, when he receives the knife from Ken and will change the title of the thread.

All is well that ends well.

If this issue is resolved this thread should be renamed or changed in some way that won't reflect poorly on the maker if someone searches his name. A little bad publicity can do alot of harm so if there is an explanation regardless of whether we all hear it or not I think it would be the right move on the part of the OP to adjust things accordingly. No need to cover up facts but the truth should be readily available. Im not sure if a BAD thread title can be modified or not.

The issue is not resolved until the OP gets his new knife (and the parts of the original one) and he's pleased with it! Only then, the OP should choose to modify the title and not be 'bullied' into doing that.

Regarding the poorly made knife he received, if the OP still has the original shipping package, there should be an address on that and a tracking number... easy to see who sent it - or, at least, where the package was shipped from... if the OP wants to share that with us ;)

Last edited:
The issue is not resolved until the OP gets his new knife (and the parts of the original one) and he's pleased with it! Only then, the OP should chose to modify the title and not be 'bullied' into doing that.

Regarding the poorly made knife he received, if the OP still has the original shipping package, there should be an address on that and a tracking number... easy to see who sent it - or, at least, where the package was shipped from... if the OP wants to share that with us ;)
It is not my intention to bully anyone into doing anything

The maker didn't even bother to show himself here... he used intermediaries to defend him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back