Some SAK love

Pàdruig;16816586 said:
I see a lot of SAK love here, it is hard not to like such an iconic knife. I got my son a SAK for his first pocket knife and he absolutely loves it.

8uvQIeI.jpg

I also have a Victorinox Swiss Tool which is my favorite of the numerous ones I have in my possession.
Priceless photo 🤗💪❤❤🔪

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

33lmds5.jpg
[/IMG]

This is my favorite of the breed, the Compact. There's a tool for just about any need in this thing, and it's eminently pocketable. I take this with me whenever I travel. (Stock photo, not my knife)
The Compact is probably the most well thought out SAK for urban edc in my opinion. A great knife!

I'm a big fan of two different alox SAKs: the Electrician and the Cadet. I always have one or the other on me, usually along with a large stockman.

OldCrossElectrician_zpsdzkdelac.jpg~original

EDC2_zpsa69584d2.jpg~original
This is an outstanding edc kit!👍👍💪

What the heck - I'll revive this thread (its only a few weeks old). Today I was looking at a few current/recent production traditionals, mainly GECs. Whew ! Glad I bought mine awhile ago. Prices have gone way up. - - These are fine production knives & I like mine. But, I was reminded of the SAKs that I carry and use every day. I often carry a Vic Fieldmaster. Because of the various blades and tools onboard, it has far more utility than my GECs. It also goes for about 1/3 of the money. It may not seem to be 'special', but there's a lot to be said for a good tool, well made, at a good price.
I have a bunch of GECs and they are wonderful, hand made gems but for price,practicality,construction and function, you cannot beat a SAK. No blade play,no blade rub, just sharp and easily resharpened, high quality knives. Heck, SAKs would be a bargain at 3X the price!

My three SAK's.

I've been carrying a SAK pretty steady since 1969, and it's one of my very favorite pocket knives. A SAK is mope than a pocket knife, it's a pocket size solution to those little problems that life likes to through in our path.

The fit and finish on a SAK is second to none when it comes to predictability. It's the one brand of knife that I can fly someplace, stop at a big box store and buy a SAK, and I know that odds are it's going tone exactly like any other SAK. No thumbnail busting springs, it's going to be very sharp and ready for use, and not cost a lot so I can gift it off when I fly home. For many years now, the SAK has been my go-to travel knife when flying. No matter where I go, I know I can have a good knife on me.

I love my tinker, I adore my old Wenger SI. But my favorite SAK is the little classic in the keyring sheath. It's been everywhere for the past twenty years, and it's felt with small flat and Phillips screws, snipped things with the scissors, and the tweezers has felt with in infinite splinters and other things. I used to think the tiny classic was a joke, but it took my better half to show me that I was very wrong.
Well said! Huzzah!!👍👍💪🔪❤

For many of us, SAKs fill the role that pocket knives did for our fathers and grandfathers. Men from those past eras didn't drool over their pocket knives; they didn't obsess over them. They weren't afraid to get them dirty or put them to use. If they broke or got lost (they took care of their possessions, so that happened rarely) - they got another one. They sure didn't 'collect' them. That would seem as unusual as collecting claw hammers or screw drivers today.
After coming across this thread, I pulled out my Vic Fieldmaster from my pocket. I used a citrus based solvent to clean off the gummy tape build up from opening many boxes. I sharpened the two blades, putting a razor edge on them with only a few minutes effort. Looking over the knife afterwards, I noticed the excellent fit & finish. We take that for granted in SAKs. Its far from true with many traditional factory knives costing a lot more.
I like many different knives, but SAKs are knives that I always carry & use - - even while carrying others at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
True story! My sentiments exactly but more eloquently stated by your post!!!!

My Camper with a set of copper scales.
I soaked them overnight in peroxide and vinegar to achieve a small bit of green patina.
Upside of the aftermarket scales is that it added a ballpoint pen and straight pin in addition to the toothpick and tweezers.
One of these days I'll get it outside in the sun for a quality picture.
3f43e6cf53617ebd8d3f989a158fb8b7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
That is gorgeous!!!

The cosmic joke with all my assorted emergency this's and back up that's, is that I will end up with a Pioneer or Farmer when in a jam. It is a rare day when I don't have one or the other on me.
#trueRealWorldstory 🤓🍀

It's a rare day when I don't have an Alox Soldier with me. I rotate through multiple other slipjoints but this stays in either my left or right front pocket.
IMG_7646_zpsim2ulovq.jpg

I agree with the notion that the orange alox is the best, not saying that the other colors aren't amazing but orange is my favorite color in general. Orange doesn't really reflect in my knife collection much though, I only have three orange knives.

I really need(well I definitely don't "need" to, just knife sickness talking) to acquire an Electrician, those look awesome. Also the Compact model is one I had not seen before and I'm interested in one now. But what I really love is the "Old Cross" alox models and I would get some of them but they can be hard to find for the right price.

As much as I love my various traditionals, lockbacks, slippies, stag, bone, wood and all the other "old timey" varieties, my SAK is my go to "there can be only one" knife. Heck, my forum name says it! I find the design to be amazingly artistic, and at the same time, utilitarian. Think about the various tools and their ability to fit together. Really cool when you consider each tool has the exact same design regardless of what combo goes into the various designs.

When I was a Marine, I bought a nylon sheath for my Kabar that had a pouch for a sharpener...but a camo Tinker rode in there. It is my most carried companion, and I have not even tried to fathom an average day without one. One is in my pocket, each fixed blade sheath pouch, and on my keychain. Hundreds sit in my collection, and I love em all regardless of how much or little pocket time they get.

SAKs have been everywhere on Earth and have traveled into space. Perhaps archaeologists of the future will look back at all our acomplishments and our multitude of faux pas and shake their head...but when they find a SAK, they just gotta say, "Well, they did one thing right."

So glad to see SAKs included with traditionals! Here is my assortment, along with a question for the experts.

Right side, top to bottom:
Tinker -- I don't recall when or where I got this, but it is at least 20 years old.
Walker -- New in the last few weeks and carried every day when I am at home in a Zermatt pouch with sharpening steel.
Woodsman -- I think. Over 40 years old and has the same tool complement as the current Huntsman, except no tweezers or toothpick. Not the same as the current Woodsman. I used to have a Zermatt pouch for it but that is long gone; I think perhaps the belt loop broke (don't know why I didn't fix it). If anyone can confirm this model designation I would appreciate it! [From the SAKWiki: "The 91mm Woodsman / Huntsman Variation was an earlier model and is very similar to the current Huntsman."]

Left side, top to bottom:
Wenger Esquire -- I don't recall when or where I got this, but it is at least 20 years old. The Wenger shield is completely worn off, but there is a faint "ghost" of it if you look closely.
Rambler -- New in the last couple of months. Spotted it in a store while on vacation and just had to have it. Carried on a Bianchi key holder with my car/truck keys every day that I am away from home.

35859225696_9d25cd6798_b.jpg

Back