Something to bug Uncle about when he gets back

Sarge comments:First, it's come to my attention that some folks have a preference for horn, even on a villager. It would complicate things only slightly to offer them in your choice of handle material,

Sarge, I really like(d) both horn and wood. I am now leaning strongly on only wood, as if I need to buy anymore. :eek:

I have treated my horn handles with hooflex, light mineral oil, Mane N Tail. Was admiring my collection a couple of days ago. Man oh man. Can't seem to prevent the horn from cracking in this arid, drought ridden NM. Out comes all the treatment stuff again, and the Bondino. BUT, I never seem to be able to get the same finish on the horn after the repair. Have read all the pertinent threads, but so far, have not been able to raise my proficiency level for a nice smooth finish.

Wood, on the other hand, smells good, easier to treat, like the smell of the linseed oil, turp and tru oil mixture I use. They come out real nice.

Originally posted by Aardvark
What did you show us there, Sarge?

BirGhorka Villagers.:D
I've lost count of how many of these I have.:rolleyes: IMO these are the best value that H.I. offers for a working knife, now if you want a pretty one go for the standard H.I. lineup.
But to me these have their own beauty. They are honest knives without any added embellishments and with no dayumed rouge on the wood handles!!!!

I would definately like a 12"-er with a wood handle and steel fittings. Any scabbard o.k. and no need for any special price break either. Those villagers look great to me.

Yvsa, I did NOT fall out of the tree and hit my head. I actually meant: what size?

Just guessing here Aardvark, but those would appear to be a 15" and 18" version of the Bir Ghorka Villager. I've had the opportunity to handle some, and have to agree with Yvsa, rough and ready finish, but a lot of "khuk for the buck".

Sarge

Originally posted by Aardvark
Yvsa, I did NOT fall out of the tree and hit my head. I actually meant: what size?

Don't you hate it when your feminine side takes over and you say what you didn't really mean?:rolleyes: :p ;) :D

Better not touch that one. You weren't commenting about the 'size' question, were you? (Probably digging himself deeper.)

Since a number of people have already tried to steer me towards the cult of the 12" AK, count me in for one also!!

Cecil

Uncle Bill will be back at the helm of Titanic II on Friday, but he'll be playing catch up and probably will be busily putting together some specials of the day. I'll wait until Saturday to start bugging him. Of course this cat's out of the bag soon as he reads this thread, so we may have some indication on Friday as to the feasibility of this project. I'm hoping it's a go, and the unit price can be held down in the 40-60 dollar range. Given the apparent popularity of the little 12" AKs, Uncle will be able to sell 'em faster than the kamis can make 'em.:D

Sarge

I would bet cash that Uncle's post will read "Holy Toledo"... and then it will be the day after before he gets back to us. ;) :p ;)

Sarge,
I can't believe ALL these people are that.... well Rus,I can understand,last I heard he was sampling locoweed & calling Bru for advice! YOU I can understand cause...oh,yeah forgot PAPPY & his sidekick(Simper):D12":barf:LORDY "PINK & YELLOW"!!It's SAD! Sniff!! 12":barf:I HATE 12"!!JP IS NUTS TOO "HAVE YOU SEEN PICS OF THAT@#$%&*!@&**$#WALL"!! HE USED TO POST THAT JUST TO "SET ME OFF"!!Glad I no longer get upset! ;)
THE SAINT :cool:

Great idea Sarge - one other thing would be cool. I don't know if anyone else has seen what I'm gonna talk about or even if it has any real use. There are these little bobbles that look like buttons on a few Hanuman's and Dui Chirra's I've seen photos of. They look well cool and in brown leather it would be awesome to boot.

Count me in.

If I can scrape the cash up from my poor, defenseless, Blade-bitten wallet, I'll nab one.

I'm just not so sure I'd be able to, so don't add my name to the tally just yet. :grumpy:

Brendan, the little bobbles that look like buttons are buttons. They go back to the days when men wore their khuks in a sash tied round their waists. There were corresponding button holes in the sash so the khuk would stay where it was put.

Back