Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2010 Report - Prototype Pictures

I think the Catbyrd is pretty much the flagship of the Byrd line, and this G10 version was a really nice variation. I´d love to see a head-to-head review between this G10 Catbyrd and a Military.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2010_prototype_catbyrd.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2010_prototype_catbyrd_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2010_prototype_catbyrd_closed.jpg

Wouter

This is a real scoop guys! Eric asked me to share the Junior concept model with you guys. What you have seen so far, are production prototypes. This model is still a concept model, therefore it’s a little further away from production than the previous models. Concept models are usually not allowed to be photographed and published, so this is a real scoop.

Spyderco and Dialex haven’t been sitting on their laurels when the Adventura came out. This is the Junior.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2010_prototype_dialexjunior.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2010_prototype_dialexjunior_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2010_prototype_dialexjunior_closed.jpg

I'll leave the expert presentation to Eric Glesser, who kindly helped me to make this video:

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/go9TFNyePK4&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/go9TFNyePK4&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Personally, I can see this design being a favorite for various groups of knife afis. The deep choil, compression lock and wide blade could be very appealing to the MBC crowd. The deep choil also lowers the edge which makes the Junior a kind of folding kitchen knife which could be appealing to the outdoor/camping/EDC crowd. I liked it quite a bit, and I noticed that it started growing on me when I handled it for the second time at the IWA Show.

So, what do you think about this design?

Wouter

It's a very interesting design. I really like the deep guard and the compression lock. Thanks for posting all of the pics.

This is a short clip of Eric Glesser presenting the Ed Schempp Balance.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a6kkrMsOO6E&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a6kkrMsOO6E&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Wouter

Wouter

Personally, I like the design VERY much. I am also a fan of the Adventura...though it is nothing like this one.

The only thing that concerns me is how well it will fit my large hands, but I am excited to find out.

Hey Wouter,
The Junior looks like a nice functional blade. Put me down for one. :D

I like many of these designs, and know that I will be owning several of them. I would like to see, though, more 4-way clip configurations, as some of these knives I rule out sua sponte by not giving me the option of tip down (I carry weak side, and this works best for me).

But overall, I am well pleased, and Spydie easily retains its status as #1 in the business, IMO.

So many new designs, I am very impressed! The junior looks like a great knife for anyone really.

Thanks for the awesome pictures

The new kiwi, and balance seem like great little knives. I also really like the updates on the para, and I think the cara-cara 2 looks pretty wicked. I was hoping for a byrd fixed blade, maybe a neck knife, but that update is pretty cool.

EDIT: I totally forgot the native! I'm glad they're still making the native 4. Is it US made?

Last edited:
Wow there's a lot of stuff I'm interested in getting my hands on this year. The new paramilitary, Sage, Caly, superleaf... I also love the FFG byrd models and the Dialex Jr. Great to see more models with the compression lock. Like the others I'm hoping the FRN Manix will also be available in other colors as well as plain edge.

Thanks for taking the time to post this thread Mr Blonde.

that is a VERY impressive design. way to go Spyderco! :thumbup: :thumbup:

thus far, it's the one "must have" out of this line up. it's very unique and i see how it could be functional and versatile.

it's also the perfect use of the compression lock. very few locks could make this design work.

i'm disappointed to hear that this knife might be the furthest out, time-wise, but i guess i'm used to waiting :( ;)

Let's summarize:
Must have two Caly3.5 and Shabaria,
most likely will get Native4 and Dialex Junio
these is strong possibility I will get: Lum CF,
may be :Superleaf, Balance, and Zulu

Last edited:
So... Lemme get this straight... No Tuff then? :(

I know, I know, I was just holding onto hope...

must have's: Para2, Sage3, FRN UKPK, Junior by Dialex, at least one of the FRN FFG Enduras
on the fence: Manix, PPT

There is lots of nice things to see here but I've been waiting for the Szabo folding fly for a while, it finaly
looks like it just might be on the horizon :cool:. The Para 2 looks like a must have for me as well.:thumbup:

So... Lemme get this straight... No Tuff then? :(

I know, I know, I was just holding onto hope...

I'm sorry but the Tuff model is still a concept design. It was at the meet, but it's not a production prototype yet, so photos weren't allowed to be published.

Wouter

About the dimensions of the Super Leaf.
Roughly the same as an original large Manix?

Thanks

Back