Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Always appreciated Mr. Blonde. I preordered the meerkat some time ago. Have always wanted to try one and the Hap40 made it a bit of a no brainer for me. You don't have any pics of it in hand, do you?

Thanks tonnes!

The One Eyed Jack did not disappoint!

With it plus the lil' Nilakka and the Manbug sheepsfoot plus the serrated ARK it's looking like a small knife year.

Spyderco really listens to us. Several of us have been calling for a back lock Manix 2 and, viola! it is here.

Thank you Sr.Rubio! I am very glad I stepped into Spyderland today. I will be even more glad if one of your updates contains a Techno 2!

One of the things I admire most about Spyderco is their willingness to try unique designs knowing some of them will have limited market appeal, even within the knife community. Thank you Spydreco for your passion, and for helping to fuel ours. [emoji106]

I definitely will be seeking hands-on with the Chinook, ATR, Lil' Sub-Hilt, and especially the Hanan. Unfortunately I have to drive several hours to the nearest well stocked Spyderco dealer. ☹️ Hopefully by the time of my next pilgrimage some of these will have dropped.

The Opus was an interesting design that only looked like a cross between a Spyderco Military and a Spyderco (G10) Police, but it also kind of handled like a cross between those designs. Still, the Opus has its own distinct design flair that I liked. The ergos worked pretty good for my hands too.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_opus.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_opus_stand_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_opus_stand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_opus_blade_2.jpg

[imghttps://spydercollector.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_opus_blade_1.jpg[/img]

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_opus_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_opus_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 22,5 cm / 8.84 inches
Blade Length: 9,5 cm / 3.75 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 119 grams / 4.2 ounces

Not a huge surprise I guess, but I thought it was still nice to see the Para 3 with a G-10 digital camo handle. This was the first ‘production sample’ Para 3 I got to handle, and I appreciate the great ergos. Since I’m personally not a fan of ‘basic black’ G-10, I think I’ll hold out for this version of the Para 3 instead.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para31.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para3_stand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para3_inhand_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para3_inhand_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para3_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para3_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para3_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para3_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para3_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para3_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_para3_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 18,5 cm / 7.27 inches
Blade Length: 7,6 cm / 3 inches
Blade Thickness: 3,8 mm / 0.15 inches
Weight: 85 grams / 3 ounces

I think Spyderco did mention a name for this design at the SHOT show. However, I think it turned out that name was already taken, so this design -for now- seems to be known as the ‘Paul Alexander Design’. Alexander also designed the excellent Ouroboros, and this folders seems the be its bigger and flipable brother. It recall it being an exceptionally lightweight design, compared to its size. We had a little snafu weighing this knife, so I can’t give an indication of the knife’s weight. Sorry about that.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_angle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_stand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 20,5 cm / 8.07 inches
Blade Length: 9 cm / 3.54 inches
Blade Thickness: 3,5 mm / 0.13 inches

I see the Q-ball as the next family member of the ‘Spyderco tree’ that gave us the Dodo and Poliwog. The feel was surprisingly familiar. The Q-Ball should be a nice new offering for those looking for a solid little big knife! Unfortunately, at this point in the meet things got a bit hectic so we didn’t manage to collect any measurements.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball-blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball-blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball_inhand_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball_angle_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball_stand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball_angle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_qball-clipside.jpg

I think Spyderco did mention a name for this design at the SHOT show. However, I think it turned out that name was already taken, so this design -for now- seems to be known as the ‘Paul Alexander Design’. Alexander also designed the excellent Ouroboros, and this folders seems the be its bigger and flipable brother. It recall it being an exceptionally lightweight design, compared to its size. We had a little snafu weighing this knife, so I can’t give an indication of the knife’s weight. Sorry about that.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_angle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_stand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_paulalexander_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 20,5 cm / 8.07 inches
Blade Length: 9 cm / 3.54 inches
Blade Thickness: 3,5 mm / 0.13 inches

It was originally going to be called the Sliver. This is THE knife I am really looking forward to in the next year. Great pics, as always. Thanks!

love the Hanan clip. But the grind on the blade is [not as it should be aesthetically?]. Hope they change it during production. otherwise, yum

Last edited:
Thank you for the photos and I hope you had fun :) The chaparral looks beautiful. Did you get a look at the Caribbean?

Am I weird for thinking the small Valloton subhilt really needs some work with a file on the Spyder hole? It's just screaming to be modded for an Emerson wave.

Back