Spyderco customer service issue

Sorry to hear about your problem.

If Spyderco sent you a paper saying they couldn't fix the knife I would think they have/had it. Especially since they used the name you sent with the knife when they sent you the paper.

Hopefully they will send you another one soon.

Best of luck to you, and maybe someone from Spyderco will chime in.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

If Spyderco sent you a paper saying they couldn't fix the knife I would think they have/had it. Especially since they used the name you sent with the knife when they sent you the paper.

Hopefully they will send you another one soon.

Best of luck to you, and maybe someone from Spyderco will chime in.

Thanks for the kind words, but to be honest if I could do it again I'd get the szabo instead of the endura.

Sounds like a simple mix up of paper work. I'm not sure if it's something that would be enough to cause me to have second thoughts about a company.

Did you get tracking on the package when you sent it in? If you had, that should be able to tell you if it made it there or not.

Over two months ago I sent my Endura 4 black blade in to spyderco because it was becoming harder and harder to open. I hadn't heard from them so I sent in an email asking when I'd expect to have my knife returned. I was told that Spyderco had not received it, she asked me for my address and continued her search. Later she said it had definitely not arrived, bummer. Not her fault, but still sucks. I thought my journey would end here.

At this point I was saving up to buy another spyderco (The black bladed szabo) and had no ill will towards the company at all....

A week or so later I receive a package in the mail from spyderco, my first thought is: "Holy shit they sent me a replacement, spyderco is the fucking best!"
Upon opening the package I found only a couple pieces of paper, a catalog and price guide.... at this point my heart sank and I tossed the papers and booklet onto the table.
I returned to them the next morning, I flipped through the booklet, saw a couple decent knives (the szabo black blade... my god is that a gorgeous knife, but I would never be able to afford it). A gold spyderco logo stamped on one of the papers caught my eye and I picked them up to read them. The papers specifically stated that spyderco was in possession of my knife and I had the option of it being sent back to me as they couldn't repair it. I was thrilled, as a friend recently offered to fix it for free as he had the same problem on a similar spyderco. I immediately called their customer service line but no one answered, I called 4 times the next day, same thing. Finally on the third day my 2nd call went through, and I gave them my ref number and said I was choosing the option to have my knife returned to me. The lady told me that those particular papers were sent by accident, and blamed it on a nameless intern. I don't know how it could have been sent by accident, it had my name, address, knife model number, and ref number.

So this is the emotional rollercoaster spyderco took me on:

Up: Awesome! My first (of hopefully many) spyderco! :D
Down: My knife is broken :|
Up: It's covered under warranty! :)
Down: Spyderco never received my knife. :/
Up: OH LOOK! A package from spyderco! Maybe they finally got my knife and repaired it and sent it back, or even gave me a brand new one! :D
Down: Nope, catalog and some papers. :|
Up: Papers say they have my knife and can send it back to me! :)
Down: Customer service said official papers were sent in error, and still don't have my knife. :'(

I REALLY wanted to like spyderco as a company. The Endura 4 was fine and was my edc until it started acting up. I just don't know anymore, they have some really attractive blades (Re: Szabo black blade) but I just don't buy things that don't have good customer service.

I don't expect anything to come out of this post, it will likely be archived and forgotten about like the other forum posts I saw when I searched "Spyderco customer service forum."
Just want people to know about my experience with spyderco as a first (and likely last) time buyer.

Am I missing something? I see no end to the story. No mention of the status of the actual knife, which is what I would care about, only a mailing error.

Matthew the told me they had my knife, the papers had my knife's number, all my info, AND my ref number.
Sending an incorrect document is one thing, filling out sending it, then blaming it on someone else is another.

Again, it sounds like they could have gotten you mixed up with another customer. It's entirely possible there was a mis-communication that led to the documents being sent out to you in error. It's not like you're the only person that's sent a knife in, and if they are training someone new, I can see where mistakes could have happened. It happens everyday, with every company.

I'll ask again, how did you send your knife back to Spyderco? Did you get a tracking number or a delivery confirmation number? Unless I'm mistaken, even sending First Class will give you a delivery confirmation number. I'd be more worried about where my knife was, rather than Spyderco getting mixed up and sending paperwork out in error.

I didn't have the money at the time to get tracking. The choice I picked expected delivery in 3 weeks.

I don't understand why you would give them one name on the package and another in your emails. Seems to be inviting confusion. Maybe this has something to do with the mixup?

I don't understand why you would give them one name on the package and another in your emails. Seems to be inviting confusion. Maybe this has something to do with the mixup?

Def. starting to look a little suspect..

I have to agree. And to not get a tracking number was a mistake. A big one.

Are you sending from out of the country? Otherwise, tracking is included with USPS Priority Mail.

so you joined BF to complain about Spyderco?

Does everyone have to be positive in their first post? I feel for the guy, I would be upset if it went down like he claims. Spyderco is my fav but they make mistakes like all companies. Hope it gets straightened out for you.

Is there something wrong with that?

I signed up for blade forums a while back, but was immediately put off by not being able to use avatar, upload attachments, or even use PM's FFS. I lurked whenever a thread about a knife I have came up, put I tended to stick to forums that's let me use it withou restriction.

(Love the community on this forum, just don't agree how it's run)

Does everyone have to be positive in their first post? I feel for the guy, I would be upset if it went down like he claims. Spyderco is my fav but they make mistakes like all companies. Hope it gets straightened out for you.

Thanks I appreciate it.

I did that, they said they could only track it to the border. I then went to USPS and they told me to go to Canada post :/

Back