Spyderco customer service issue

I signed up for blade forums a while back, but was immediately put off by not being able to use avatar, upload attachments, or even use PM's FFS. I lurked whenever a thread about a knife I have came up, put I tended to stick to forums that's let me use it withou restriction.

(Love the community on this forum, just don't agree how it's run)
So you think that forums are free of charge? Bandwidth grows freely on a range for anyone to harvest? Server space is given because of the goodness of some corporations heart? How about the software licenses? I think you just do not understand what it really takes to run a forum. For your information all forums cost someone money. Some have tons of advertisement on every click, others sell merchandise or charge literally $1000s of dollars per year to participate. You are still able to read and learn for free, so I guess you just can't please everyone. Sorry that $10 measly dollars per year puts you off so much. :rolleyes:

I did that, they said they could only track it to the border. I then went to USPS and they told me to go to Canada post :/

You can track the cc # at usps.com Heck, you can call the 1-800 # or the CO PO. They can even see what employee scanned it. Miss a scan an get written up. Miss two, loss a days pay. Three, don't ask :(

Does everyone have to be positive in their first post? I feel for the guy, I would be upset if it went down like he claims. Spyderco is my fav but they make mistakes like all companies. Hope it gets straightened out for you.

In this case, the only mistake Spyderco made was mistakenly saying they had his knife when they didn't. They didn't lose the knife, and they didn't neglect to get tracking on the package.

In this case, the only mistake Spyderco made was mistakenly saying they had his knife when they didn't. They didn't lose the knife, and they didn't neglect to get tracking on the package.

The info on the papers I received could ONLY have been logged if they received my package. (my real name and knife model number)

We are all in the same boat as you, we don't know where your knife is. But you would know exactly where it was if you cared enough to ship it properly with tracking. Spyderco even spells this out on their website. Sorry for your loss.

Or they documented your name, address and what type of knife it was when you first called so they could try to find it in their system.

What is more likely? They received your endura, lost it and then tried to cover it up. Or, they never received it in the first place and a paper work mistake took place.

Why would spyderco lie to you? It's ludicrous. They probably ship out hundreds of knives a year for free as replacements. What benefit do they get from lying to you?

So you think that forums are free of charge? Bandwidth grows freely on a range for anyone to harvest? Server space is given because of the goodness of some corporations heart? How about the software licenses? I think you just do not understand what it really takes to run a forum. For your information all forums cost someone money. Some have tons of advertisement on every click, others sell merchandise or charge literally $1000s of dollars per year to participate. You are still able to read and learn for free, so I guess you just can't please everyone. Sorry that $10 measly dollars per year puts you off so much. :rolleyes:

When I go gold, does the advertisement taking up half of your post go away?

I never gave them my first name that was on the package. The ONLY way they could have known my real name is receiving the package.

Like I said before, the only way I can think of is that they found it somewhere in the mailroom, realizes its been months since they received it and already told the customer they never received it, CS told intern/assistant to offer 45%, they assume to send the papers stating they received it and offering the option for a send back.

But that's just my knife conspiracy theory.

I never have them my first name that was on the package. The ONLY way they could have known my real name is receiving the package.

Like I said before, the only way I can think off is that they found it somewhere in the mailroom, realizes its been months since they received it and already told the customer they never received it, CS told intern/assistant to offer 45%, they assume to send the papers stating they received it and offering the option for a send back.

But that's just my knife conspiracy theory.

Well, at least you got the last part right.

We are all in the same boat as you, we don't know where your knife is. But you would know exactly where it was if you cared enough to ship it properly with tracking. Spyderco even spells this out on their website. Sorry for your loss.

Yup, just like my jury duty summons, it got lost in the mail.

What is more likely? They received your endura, lost it and then tried to cover it up. Or, they never received it in the first place and a paper work mistake took place.

Why would spyderco lie to you? It's ludicrous. They probably ship out hundreds of knives a year for free as replacements. What benefit do they get from lying to you?

I agree. This makes no sense. I recently shipped back a Delica because it had a flat spot on the tang causing it to want to hang up half way. I asked if it was possible to fix it, if not no big deal as the knife was perfect otherwise. I shipped it out on a Thursday. They received it 5 days later (anyone want to take a wild guess how I know this?). Two weeks later...bam! Brand new Delica.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see how it goes, but so far I'm on the OP's side. I've never had any experience with spyderco CS, but if they sent him a letter with the name he used when he sent the package to them, that means they have it... or had it at some point.

Why would he use a different name? I dunno, people do that. The band director at my high school was named Pete. Everyone called him Pete. He answered the phone as Pete... but his name was Henry. I don't know how you get "Pete" from "Henry," but that's what he went by, but "Henry" was written on his letterhead and business cards.

Or it could just be a shortened version of a name. Maybe the OP is named "Richard" and goes by "Rick," who knows. The point I'm seeing from the OP is that the letter was addressed to him as it was on the package, but not as he introduced himself on the phone.

Is Spyderco wrong? I dunno, but I'm curious to see how it goes.

No matter how this case goes, as far as I can tell, the OP has managed to insult/belittle Spyderco, BladeForums and countries outside of North America and Europe. All since joining BF on August 6, 2014.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see how it goes, but so far I'm on the OP's side. I've never had any experience with spyderco CS, but if they sent him a letter with the name he used when he sent the package to them, that means they have it... or had it at some point.

Why would he use a different name? I dunno, people do that. The band director at my high school was named Pete. Everyone called him Pete. He answered the phone as Pete... but his name was Henry. I don't know how you get "Pete" from "Henry," but that's what he went by, but "Henry" was written on his letterhead and business cards.

Or it could just be a shortened version of a name. Maybe the OP is named "Richard" and goes by "Rick," who knows. The point I'm seeing from the OP is that the letter was addressed to him as it was on the package, but not as he introduced himself on the phone.

Is Spyderco wrong? I dunno, but I'm curious to see how it goes.

Yup pretty much sums it up. People kept spelling/saying my name wrong so couple years back I'd just introduce myself as Andy. Only on important stuff (postage, government documents etc) do I use my real name.

Hi Haredeenee,
Perhaps I can shed some light on this. I just spent some time researching your issue in W&R. We didn't send you a letter in error but rather we sent you the wrong letter in error. Here's a timeline of what we show happened.

9-Jul
You e-mailed our W&R department through the form on our site. In that e-mail you provided us with your first and last name, e-mail address and the model of the knife you sent in.

10-Jul
W&R responded and asked for your address as it's easiest to look up details in our system by address.

10-Jul
You responded with a partial address.

10-Jul
W&R responded requesting a postal code.

10-Jul
You responded with your postal code. At this point, we now had your name, e-mail address, model and full mailing address.

14-Jul (the 12th & 13th were a weekend)
W&R e-mailed you that they did an extensive search and unfortunately we never received your knife. In that e-mail it was explained that we assume responsibility of a knife shipped from us, but that we cannot be held responsible for a knife that we never received as we have no control over how it is sent. We then, via e-mail, offered you a 45% discount off MSRP towards the purchase of a knife. It was explained that that offer was valid for 30 days and must be redeemed through W&R.

14-Jul
You responded that you would let us know when you want to use the discount and you ended with "Thanks anyways"

14-Jul
W&R replied and asked a follow-up question of was it shipped to us in a box and was there any other name or address it may have been under.

14-Jul
You responded yes, it was in a box and no just your name could have been on it. You stated it was a damn shame since it was your first Spyderco.

15-Jul
Our W&R department mailed you a letter formally explaining the 45% discount as well as a 2014 product guide. This is where we made a mistake. The W&R department is one person. She receives part-time help from another employee in our company (we don't have interns). It was that person who mistakenly sent you a letter that explains the discount as it pertains to an item returned that is not a warranty issue (or fixable) and should be retired from use. The letter that should have been sent explains the discount as it pertains to something we never received. Offering a discount for this situation is not something we have to do, but we do it in an attempt to create something positive out of a negative situation even when it's beyond our control.

30-Jul
You called our W&R department and stated that you sent us a knife 2 months prior, you wanted it back and were never told that your knife didn't arrive. You were asked for your name and address and we matched it up to the prior noted correspondence. So we verbally reiterated what took place via e-mail two weeks prior. You then told Charlynn that you believed we did receive your knife because of the aforementioned letter that you received. You ended the call with a comment that you would stick to your knife made by a different manufacturer (you did use their name, but I don't see a point in posting it here so I'll leave it at that).

6-Aug
You made your first post here starting this thread.

I apologize if we caused any confusion, but I hope that's clarified now. At this time you have until 15-Aug to use the discount offered. We haven't heard back from you since 30-Jul, but please let us know how you would like to proceed if you still want to use the discount.

If you have conflicting documentation please send that to my attention. You can e-mail me at khunter @ spyderco.com (without the spaces of course).

Kristi

Back