Spyderco customer service issue

Thanks taz.

I was just extremely frustrated by the timeline of events, and the documents falsely stating you had received my knife only added fuel to the fire, at the end of the phone conversation I was audible disappointed.

I'd like to thank you and spyderco for giving an official response to this.
Though I don't plan on purchasing from spyderco in the near future, but may try again in a few years.

Next time get tracking. even if it is just to the border. I work in a shipping store and we tell customers basically the same thing. Since Canada can't guarantee that usps will scan the tracking number they will only track to the border. After crossing the border it should be trackable through usps assuming they scan the barcode. Spyderco was more than generous to offer you 45% discount seeing as they never even received your knife.

Next time get tracking. even if it is just to the border. I work in a shipping store and we tell customers basically the same thing. Since Canada can't guarantee that usps will scan the tracking number they will only track to the border. After crossing the border it should be trackable through usps assuming they scan the barcode. Spyderco was more than generous to offer you 45% discount seeing as they never even received your knife.

I usually always track my packages as I buy and sell online a lot, but just didnt have the money at the time to insure, or track.

Unfortunately spyderco's 45% off was generous, but the online store I buy my blades from usually have 50% off compared to spyderco's MSRP

I wasn't trying to get a free/replacement knife, a discount, or a refund. I was looking for an official
Spyderco representative to admit that they sent me documents that contained false information pertaining to the status, and location of my knife.

My comment was more of a general one for international shipping. I feel for you, as I would be upset if my knife was lost. I wouldn't give up hope yet since I've personally seen international packages take way longer than estimated due to customs holding it. I once had a customer ship something to Canada from here in North Carolina, it was estimated be delivered in 14 days. 3 months later it was finally delivered. Things like knives and guns tend to be under more scrutiny than other types of goods. There is still hope. If I were you I would see if they will honor the 45% off on Mule Team 19.

My comment was more of a general one for international shipping. I feel for you, as I would be upset if my knife was lost. I wouldn't give up hope yet since I've personally seen international packages take way longer than estimated due to customs holding it. I once had a customer ship something to Canada from here in North Carolina, it was estimated be delivered in 14 days. 3 months later it was finally delivered. Things like knives and guns tend to be under more scrutiny than other types of goods. There is still hope. If I were you I would see if they will honor the 45% off on Mule Team 19.

I've had knives stuck at the border but Canada post always told me it was stuck, until it went over the border.
Mule isn't very attractive to me, I'm sure it's great knife like many spyderco's, but just doesn't look like my kind of knife.

In this case, the only mistake Spyderco made was mistakenly saying they had his knife when they didn't. They didn't lose the knife, and they didn't neglect to get tracking on the package.

Did you miss the part about the info they couldn't of known if they didn't log it. I agree that he could of got his point across a little more eloquently for his first post and he probably made some mistakes in the process of returning it but people shouldn't be so hard on the guy. He has a right to be upset and I hope it gets straightened out for both parties involved.

Like I stated before, I am a die-hard Spyderco fan but I am not going to pretend like they are above making mistakes like every other company out there.

Did you miss the part about the info they couldn't of known if they didn't log it. I agree that he could of got his point across a little more eloquently for his first post and he probably made some mistakes in the process of returning it but people shouldn't be so hard on the guy. He has a right to be upset and I hope it gets straightened out for both parties involved.

Like I stated before, I am a die-hard Spyderco fan but I am not going to pretend like they are above making mistakes like every other company out there.

Hi adamg01, please see my response on page 3.

They certainly didn't have to give the guy the 45% discount but seeing as how it is 45% off MSRP, it will probably just be easier to cut his loses, accept that his knife is gone, and tell them thanks for the offer but no thanks. 45% off MSRP will probably still be more expensive then Amazon. Spyderco was in an awkward position, they couldn't send him a new knife and they never received the old one so they did what they could.

I did think it was that some of the BF members taking cheap shots at the guy had "Spyder" somewhere in their username. I mean this is Spyderco's forum and they have their own moderators, they can fight their own battles.

They certainly didn't have to give the guy the 45% discount but seeing as how it is 45% off MSRP, it will probably just be easier to cut his loses, accept that his knife is gone, and tell them thanks for the offer but no thanks. 45% off MSRP will probably still be more expensive then Amazon. Spyderco was in an awkward position, they couldn't send him a new knife and they never received the old one so they did what they could.

I did think it was that some of the BF members taking cheap shots at the guy had "Spyder" somewhere in their username. I mean this is Spyderco's forum and they have their own moderators, they can fight their own battles.

Thanks. Yeah 45% off MSRP dosnt mean anything if to know where to look, but I'm happy they attempted to offer me SOMETHING after my experience.

In my eyes, if they had given me a replacement or credit for a replacement I'd be running up an order for a szabo and para2 right now. But obviously they can't go around giving away knives to people who claim they sent it to em, I totally understand that.

But like I said before, spyderco makes great knives (based on public opinion and the half dozen I've had my hands on), I appreciate the official response on this matter (within 48 hours), but I will likely not be making a spyderco purchase any time soon. Though I might in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah 45% off MSRP dosnt mean anything if to know where to look, but I'm happy they attempted to offer me SOMETHING after my experience.

In my eyes, if they had given me a replacement or credit for a replacement I'd be running up for a szabo and para2 right now. But obviously they can't go around giving away knives to people who claim they sent it to em, I totally understand that.

But like I said before, spyderco makes great knives (based on public option and the half dozen I've had my hands on), I appreciate the official response on this matter (within 48 hours), but I will likely not be making a spyderco purchase any time soon. Though I might in the future.

I wouldn't give up on the brand. You lost a knife in the mail from the way it sounds so you should still buy Spydercos and stop using USPS. :D

Seriously though, I would be upset as well but not at Spyderco. Best of luck to you and I hope you stick around the forums. It is filled with good people and knowledge. Just don't drop so many F-Bombs, they don't like that around here.

I wouldn't give up on the brand. You lost a knife in the mail from the way it sounds so you should still buy Spydercos and stop using USPS. :D

Seriously though, I would be upset as well but not at Spyderco. Best of luck to you and I hope you stick around the forums. It is filled with good people and knowledge. Just don't drop so many F-Bombs, they don't like that around here.

Like I said in the first post, if it had ended at "we never got it sorry" I'd just buy another endura, but the documents they sent that got my hopes up were kinda BS in my opinion.

sorry OP, I lost all sympathy for you from the get go. this should have been labeled a postal blunder and in no way is it Spyderco's fault if they never received your knife. They are an extremely reputable company with a track record of taking care of their customers. Now, if they did receive your knife..... and this happened differently, then yes I would understand your frustration. Unfortunately you are displacing blame. So they sent you papers by accident? They admitted it and apologized, offered you a discount, but wouldn't send you a free knife..... which is unfortunately what im sensing your after. Did anyone care to look at his post count or his join date? 100% of his posts are in this thread lol......... sorry if the post office truly lost your endura, but I don't think that's the case here. Too many things in this thread don't add up

Spyderco flat out admitted the mistake, and you're still being passive/aggressive about it? What more do you really expect? People make mistakes... Very few stand up and admit them (especially in public, and on record). I have a great amount of respect for those that do.

If you cared enough about the knife to make this much of a stink about it, you would have waited till you could afford to ship it with tracking/insurance.

Take your crappy, self-serving attitude elsewhere... you won't be missed.

sorry OP, I lost all sympathy for you from the get go. this should have been labeled a postal blunder and in no way is it Spyderco's fault if they never received your knife. They are an extremely reputable company with a track record of taking care of their customers. Now, if they did receive your knife..... and this happened differently, then yes I would understand your frustration. Unfortunately you are displacing blame. So they sent you papers by accident? They admitted it and apologized, offered you a discount, but wouldn't send you a free knife..... which is unfortunately what im sensing your after. Did anyone care to look at his post count or his join date? 100% of his posts are in this thread lol......... sorry if the post office truly lost your endura, but I don't think that's the case here. Too many things in this thread don't add up

So now he is trying to get a knife through fraudulent means and part of the evidence is he is new? Wow.

So now he is trying to get a knife through fraudulent means and part of the evidence is he is new? Wow.

selective reading much? Why don't you try reading my entire post, and then going back and reading the ENTIRE thread :)

selective reading much? Why don't you try reading my entire post, and then going back and reading the ENTIRE thread :)

I read it all the first time. Sounds more like a rabid fan jumping to conclusions and making some pretty serious accusations with nothing substantial to support it.

Back