Spyderco/Farid K2

I had this in my cart the other day. Now it's sold out. I shouldn't of waited.....

its still for sale at a certain knife shoppe ............ 224 I believe.

what gets me is the price difference between this and the slysz bowie...... 50-75 more than the K2.

also a question for Farid...... what size blade would the k2 carry?

I'm looking forward to getting the Bowie, but it's not the best priced knife available. The contoured handles will add something to the price, but I doubt the manufacturing tolerances are significantly higher than other Taichung knives, and it is in the price range where (for a production knife) you'd expect ball-bearings, lockbar insert & super-premium steel. My suspicion is that the royalties demanded by the designer are what are pushing the price up on it.

W . . . O . . . W ! ! !

farid - your inspired, well-thought, functional, and stunningly beautiful designs, along with your fearlessness in steel selection continue to impress me! It is so awesome that you and Sal partnered up for this K2, making it available to a wider audience.
I LOVE this knife and am so happy to know that I will have a chance to enjoy the smaller model some time next year 😃

And Jim - over one mile of cardboard?! You are as much of a performance beast as that 10v is! Once again, many many thanks for your dedicated testing and for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us :thumbsup: :cheers:

And Jim - over one mile of cardboard?! You are as much of a performance beast as that 10v is! Once again, many many thanks for your dedicated testing and for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us :thumbsup: :cheers:

The funny thing is that I ran out of cardboard or I would have cut more, it wasn't done.. :D :eek:

It was still cutting paper pretty well at that point so I was a good place to stop anyway.

After testing photos. :)

DSC_50171.JPG

DSC_5025.JPG

DSC_50241.JPG

DSC_5020.JPG

I like that Spyderco did their take on Farid's clip and gave it the hourglass shape.

Small K2 as in custom or another collaboration with Spyderco?!

The 10v in a smaller package that Sal mentioned earlier?!

At some stage in 2015 I will release the custom small K2. I will at some stage speak to Sal regarding the small production version (if there is going to be one), if opportunity allows I would like to get a small K2 prototype in to Sal's hands first.
Thank you all for your interest in the K2.
Farid

W . . . O . . . W ! ! !

farid - your inspired, well-thought, functional, and stunningly beautiful designs, along with your fearlessness in steel selection continue to impress me! It is so awesome that you and Sal partnered up for this K2, making it available to a wider audience.
I LOVE this knife and am so happy to know that I will have a chance to enjoy the smaller model some time next year ��

Thank you for the support in the K2, I can confirm that I will release specs on the 'small custom K2' in 2015 sometime, as far as a Spyderco version goes I cannot make any comments, lets just for now enjoy this version. Thank you all. F

I have Sal's personal custom K2 here in CPM-s90v, before I send it back to him I will take a few pics side by side with the 10v production version.
F

Sal's custom K2 and the 10v production version, this custom K2 is the very first generation which means it has alot more curve on top of the blade, the profile of the blade right now is the same as the REX K2 which has alot less curve on the top.

Excellent.. thanks for sharing! Hope you are doing well... You'll laugh when I tell you what I did with those little D6 knives...

I have my pre-order in for one of these, and one of your customs.. so get better all ready! :D later.

Excellent.. thanks for sharing! Hope you are doing well... You'll laugh when I tell you what I did with those little D6 knives...

I have my pre-order in for one of these, and one of your customs.. so get better all ready! :D later.

send me an email.

your friend,
F

The September 2014 Spyderco Byte has a nice write-up on the new K2.

"Farid Mehr is a British custom knifemaker who is best known for his hollow-handled fixed-blade survival knives and heavy-duty, hard-use folding knives. A full-time maker, he also crafts custom-made leather and Kydex® sheaths and makes a variety of other custom knives to meet his customers’ needs and interests.

Strength is the most prized quality of most of Farid’s knife designs, so his folders tend to be large and boast stainless steel or titanium handle scales and Reeve Integral Locks (R.I.L.). He also has a penchant for using exotic blade steels with reputations for edge holding and toughness. One of his most popular models is his K2 folder, which is slightly smaller and lighter than many of his other designs without sacrificing the key qualities that make his knives unique. It was therefore the ideal choice for his first collaboration with Spyderco.

The K2 is a generously sized folding knife designed to withstand the rigors of serious cutting chores. Just shy of 10 inches (254mm) overall, it features a 4.53-inch (115mm) blade ground from CPM® 10V®—the first high-vanadium tool steel made using Crucible® steel’s Powder Metallurgy process. CPM 10V’s toughness and machining characteristics are comparable to D2 and M2, but it’s impressive 9.75% vanadium content gives it extreme wear resistance. In a knife blade, this translates to superior edge retention—a highly desirable quality for a hard-use folder.

To balance the strength of its broad Bowie-style blade, the K2 features a full-flat grind that tapers over its entire width to a keen PlainEdge™ cutting edge. The blade’s spine is also precisely radiused near the handle to provide a comfortable bearing point for the thumb during demanding cutting chores. An amazing synthesis of strength and cutting performance, the K2’s blade also features Spyderco’s Trademark Round Hole™ for positive one-handed opening.

The K2’s handle is also a study in strength. It consists of two extremely stout scales machined from solid titanium. The reverse scale forms the foundation of the knife’s sturdy Reeve Integral Lock (R.I.L.) and faithfully includes Farid’s signature serpentine cut on the lock bar. The lock bar’s relief cut is also made on the outside of the handle scale to create a straight-line force vector to the blade’s tang ramp for maximum lock strength. Like all well-made R.I.L. knives, the K2 to is designed so a firm grip on the handle actually reinforces the function of the lock and greatly reduces the chances of unintentional lock release during use. Despite the K2’s impressive size, it is easily and conveniently carried by virtue of a stainless steel pocket clip that positions the knife for right-side, tip-down carry. In this position, the knife is drawn pivot-end first, leaving your hand perfectly positioned for a smooth, one-handed opening. For users who prefer extra security or enjoy accessorizing their knives, the K2’s handle also includes a generously sized lanyard hole for easy attachment of fobs or lanyards.

Spyderco’s K2 combines the durability and heft that characterize Farid Mehr’s custom knives with the refined details that define Spyderco’s commitment to reliable high performance."​

r01_02.jpg

Back