Spyderco Manix 2 xl (lock strength)

boki_zca

BANNED
How strong the lock on new Manix2XL is, I love the knife and after seeing few videos on youtube where ball bearing lock failed am sceptic about buying it.I wish old manix was still in production with the backlock.....The new manix2 is a great design , but seeing it fail after few spine whacks will probably get a Military model!Has Spyderco fixed this problem???Ill be using my knife for construction and renovation work plus edc carry so lock strength is important to me!

Common sense answer:

If you use your knife as a knife, and don't confuse it with a hammer, chisel, level, power drill, or shovel, things should be fine. On another note, why in the world would you spine whack a knife? If you are interested in that, you might want to buy a fixed blade instead.

Common sense answer:

If you use your knife as a knife, and don't confuse it with a hammer, chisel, level, power drill, or shovel, things should be fine. On another note, why in the world would you spine whack a knife? If you are interested in that, you might want to buy a fixed blade instead.

I like a cold chisel for pounding away without ill effect. But, don't forget the ball-peen hammer.

I know this is the spyderco forum and generally try to avoid suggesting a different brand of knife here, but if you want a folding knife you can abuse by pounding it through materials, batoning, spine whacking, etc... I recommend the Cold Steel Pocket Bushman. (unless 1 hand opening is a requirement -- not a simple task w/the PB)
It's not fancy steel and will need to be sharpened more often, but the lock on it is pretty much incapable of releasing on accident without total mechanical failure. It's also cheap enough you won't stroke out if it gets lost or otherwise "borrowed" on a job site.

Construction and renovation work? What exactly do you expect from it? A knife is designed to cut. The Manix 2 will do that all day and you wont have to worry about the lock failing. If you want to use it as a chisel or a pry bar, well then... I dont think we can help you. I dont think the Military will help you either. Its a cutting tool, nothing more, nothing less.

How strong the lock on new Manix2XL is, I love the knife and after seeing few videos on youtube where ball bearing lock failed am sceptic about buying it.I wish old manix was still in production with the backlock.....The new manix2 is a great design , but seeing it fail after few spine whacks will probably get a Military model!Has Spyderco fixed this problem???Ill be using my knife for construction and renovation work plus edc carry so lock strength is important to me!

Why in the world would you spine whack a knife?

Common sense answer:

You wouldn't, but you would buy a knife that could survive a spine whack, as opposed to one that couldn't. Knives cut, but they are also designed to stab. The spine whack exerts forces similar to a stab that is a little out of line.

i like the back lock better as well, but its not stronger then the ball bearing lock, there are far more instances of back locks failing over ball locks

The spine whack exerts forces similar to a stab that is a little out of line.

That's like saying that a vehicle that should be designed to protect it's occupants in a rollover accident should also keep them safe when dropped upside down from a 10-story building.

That's like saying that a vehicle that should be designed to protect it's occupants in a rollover accident should also keep them safe when dropped upside down from a 10-story building.

Hmmm, someone else liked the Top Gear 'Kill the Toyota HiLux' episodes - I think they eventually had to blow up a 10-story building around it to truly kill the darn thing. This after the wrecking ball and setting it on fire didn't work...

Why in the world would you spine whack a knife?

Common sense answer:

You wouldn't, but you would buy a knife that could survive a spine whack, as opposed to one that couldn't. Knives cut, but they are also designed to stab. The spine whack exerts forces similar to a stab that is a little out of line.
Well, I own a few traditional knives, those do not do well with the old spine whack, but they cut very well...with the sharpened side that is. ;)

By "a few videos on youtube", you mean "that one video that Ankerson filmed called 'Spyderco Manix 2 Hard Use Test'", right? The one where he smacks it against a log until the lock breaks, right? People seem to whine a lot about the dozens of videos they watched where the CBBL fails, but when you ask them to point to a specific video, they can only seem to remember that one... :rolleyes:

I used my CTSBD30P manix 2 for prying, tearing up and laying down carpet, opening bags of cement, even scoring sheets of drywall here and there. I'm pretty sure it'll stand up to 'construction and renovation'.

I would love to see any proof or data behind the theory that spine whacks exert similar forces to a stab that is a little out of line.

Also, isn't the Cold Steel Pocket Bushman held together by stamped metal? To me that seems like total mechanical failure isn't necessarily that far out of the question if you do things like pry, spine-whack, or hammer with it.

Not talking smack, and I don't own one, but I can't see stamped construction as being that structurally solid - especially when talking about abusing your knife.

Threads like this tickle me - I watched the now famous Ankerson video where the Manix 2 failed the spine-whack test and I won't lie, when I first got My CTS-XHP, I took cardboard and put it over my desk and taped the spine of my M2 and whacked it a few times (not super-hard) to see if it would fail. It didn't fail under what I consider well above normal use (I stopped shy of what would just be absolute abuse).

Any knife lock can be forced to fail. Have you ever had a folding knife fail on you? No? Then why are you worried about lockup strength?

Go ahead and buy a Manix 2 XL. If you must give it a wack then use it for cuttin' stuff like it was designed to do. Mine does a great job at cutting...>

The video you saw was showing abuse Not cutting. Which one are you going to use a Manix 2 xl for ??

LOl.........Ill probably buy the knife but dont think Ankersons youtube video was a knife abuse......I know the knife is used for cutting but dont think knife of that price should have lock that failed so easily....was just wondering if all ball bearing locks are acting same.......i dont need any advices regarding how to use the knife!

LOl.........Ill probably buy the knife but dont think Ankersons youtube video was a knife abuse......I know the knife is used for cutting but dont think knife of that price should have lock that failed so easily....was just wondering if all ball bearing locks are acting same.......i dont need any advices regarding how to use the knife!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't your first post in this thread ask for advices?

I expected some advice regarding locking mechanism on the knife, not how to use it or whatever.......

I just read that spyderco fixed that issue with the lock....and i will buy the knife!

I made my Chinook 3 fail with a few spine whacks as well. Ok it was actually a bunch of spine whacks but I was still surprised at how much it moved things around in the lock.

Any lock will fail after enough spine whacks. On top of this, no-one is perfect, and nothing produced by people will ever be perfect, for this reason I like to use a knife with a choil or flipper that saves my fingers in the event of lock failure, it actually saved me from a nasty cut when I was abusing my Chinook.

Back