Spyderco Massad Ayoob

Mr. Greenman, you speak the truth in your posting!

I'd like to see the 4-way clip and the G10 handles. KISS is a great philosophy to live by. If worst comes to worst, I'd like to see a resurrection of the old knife; it was an excellent package as it was!

:thumbup:

I'm glad to see this bumped back up to the top.

Thanks for the support everyone! Lets keep the dream alive!

I totally agree that we need to keep this one simple, or we can KISS this sprint goodbye.

My vote is for, in order of importance:
G10 Handle- Black or Tan, or dark navy blue for LEO's
4 way clip
FFG blade

Considering how re-vamped the new JD Smith will be ( g10, 4 way, FFG,) this seems like a plausible sprint for such a unique and worthy blade. I really think that this one will appeal to the ELU’s across the board, and not just us collectors/ AFI’s.

After all, what other knife slashes like a Karambit/hawkbill and stabs like a Push dagger, while still being practical enough to cut a sandwich? Only the C60 Massad Ayoob.

Fingers crossed!
Mark

Last edited:
WOW, it's been a while since I've seen such enthusiasm about a spint run! Will have to make sure there are enough numbers in the sprint run (hint).

Keep the back-lock
Keep the VG10 steel
Keep serrated edge, plain edge ok as secondary option.
Handle material is where I get fuzzy. I like FRN, there I said it. Next up would be stainless steel with kraton inserts. Third choice would be G10 which many are listing here as first choice.

Things to leave out please.... carbon fibre handles, titanium handles, exotic blade steels, ball locks, compression locks. These are all nice but the price point shifts considerably. You don't want to know what the new higher end stuff is selling for in my neck of the woods :(

That's my 2c. Having said that, it is so cool to see Massad in this discussion with Sal and Taz coming on board.

And please NO wave. Not every knife needs a wave. I think we need to keep the shape as close to original as possible.

We need the C60.... it's beyond a game..... :D

I would love to see a sprint run with no changes other than G10 scales. I would pick up a PE and a SE version....

Andre, I like FRN too. The problem is, the molds to make the FRN handles don't exist, so either each handle scale would have to be machined from a block of FRN, or a very expensive mold would have to be made. Estimated cost of such a mold runs from $30,000 to $50,000 dollars, which adds at least $50 per piece to the manufacturing cost for a 600 piece run. That would probably add a hundred dollars to the retail price of each knife, which might make them a bit hard to sell.

I'd be real keen to see another run, SE with the only change being G10 scales. A full flat grind might be interesting though.

And please NO wave. Not every knife needs a wave. I think we need to keep the shape as close to original as possible.

We need the C60.... it's beyond a game..... :D

arent there only 3 spyderco models with a wave?

:confused:

Heck any new models would be appreciated, I could then carry it w/o worrying about messing up a collectable.

I've got an original in PE and while I love everything about the knife it's LNIB. So minty new that I've got issues about putting it to work in my EDC :(

I'd love to buy a couple sprint runs of the original design (serrated edge) or, better yet, one with a G-10 handle (serrated edge).

Shameless bump for the sprint run!

I joined the forums years ago to lobby to have this made, and I'm still just as obsessed. I have many of the "best" Spyderco's produced, but the C60 remains my #1 carry choice, due to its versatility and coolness factor.

My SE safe queen, and my pimped out PE EDC. The Grip tape and FFG make the knife much, much better.
Ayoobs.jpg

ayoobpoint.jpg

My EDC setup- went from carrying 3 knives, to just the Ayoob, which is how much faith I have in it.

2010dump.jpg

With custom surefire pen and Prince Pocket Torch
tacticalbalck.jpg

With the pistol I was shooting when I met Mr. Ayoob at GSSF last year.
Customglock.jpg

Explanation of why the C60 is so awesome, by the designer himself, Massad Ayoob.

Tizwin, the rationale was to get the blade directly in line with the radius bone of the forearm when the average human wrist was in the "locked" position, which puts the middle knuckle of the hand directly in line with the axis of the forearm.

This is what gives the C60 its superior stabbing accuracy that posters in this thread have mentioned, and it also gives tremendously more penetration, because it aligns the skeleto-muscular support structure of the arm with the point (number one), and therefore with anyone who knows how to put his weight behind a punch, gets the entire body's force going directly behind the point (number two).

As other posters have also noted, the handle-to-blade angle puts much more force behind a slash as well as a stab. Instead of the blade "skimming" over the target as it hits hard resistance such as bone, the 90 degree angle of the blade when held in reverse grip (and KEPT there by a handle shape that allows the thumb to lock it at that angle) the C60 is more likely to shear directly through whatever resistance it encounters. Because of the design features, something very similar happens with a slash from the conventional saber or pekal grasp.

And needless to say, I'll give a +1 to the sprint run suggestion...:)

So, needless to say, I'd also give a big +1 to a Sprint run :D

I talked with Ayoob about this a few weeks ago. He was disappointed that the knife's ergos didn't get more publicity. He used the knife as a demonstrative aid on several occasions over the 4 day course.

I'll take an Ayoob. Plain edge, four-way clip, FRN handles, add about 1/4" more to the blade length. Leave everything else as it is :thumbup:

I talked with Ayoob about this a few weeks ago. He was disappointed that the knife's ergos didn't get more publicity.

Yes, I feel that for many of Spyderco's more unconventionaly awesome designs (khukuri and Yojimbo come to mind) the factory write up is too subtle for most ELU's, and many AFI's, to pick up on.

The 2001 catalog mentions how "the handle feels like an extension of the blade," and how "wherever you point your wrist the blade goes." Both statements are true, of course, but neither really addresses the key design feature of the C60, which is the incredible slashing and stabbing power that the negative blade angle offers.

Now, I know Spyderco abhors the "deathdealer 5000" marketing strategies favored by some other companies (and for good reason!), but I believe that the tactical features of a knife, when present, should be mentioned. It doesn't have to be totally overt, but a too subtle write up prevents many ELU's from enjoying Spyderco's more unconventional designs. Which is a pity, because many of those designs are simply breathtaking when you get to know them!

For example, I would write of the Ayoob: "The unusual look of the knife is do to its unusual performance characteristics. The Negative blade angle in relation to the handle aligns the blade with the users wrist when in the locked position, which allows for anyone who knows how to throw a punch to put all of their weight behind the point of the blade. Additionally, the negative blade angle also provides tremendously more force to cutting applications, making the knife perform like a karambit, but in a much more versatile package that is also excels at utilitarian tasks. An unconventional design that is unconventionally practical."

Back