Spyderco Massad Ayoob

I hate you. Did I say I hate you? ;)

But I Love You Man!! :D:D

IMG_2748.jpg

I actually logged on just to check out this posting.

It seems like I've returned from the dead to the forums; I haven't posted for several months because of football (who doesn't love 2-a-day practices from 8 to 11 in the morning and 4 to 9 at night?) and, when I've been home, I've been tired. School is also back in full swing so I've been busy and haven't had the time to long on. Regardless, I want to see another Ayoob! I don't care how, I do like the old model (I got one a month ago for my birthday, $140 for the serrated version), but anything would make me happy! Just thought I'd chime in again in this thread and keep it at the top.

God bless you, America, and our men and women overseas.

KATN,

Wade
Now the starting varsity center :D

I figured since it was getting close to the Holidays (3months), I didn't want the thread to die. Maybe well get lucky on a sprint run for the Holidays.

I figured since it was getting close to the Holidays (3months), I didn't want the thread to die. Maybe well get lucky on a sprint run for the Holidays.

Probably a little late for Christmas but maybe it'll be here in time for the good old tax return next year. :D

Sorry this thread should not die.

Sal,

Tip up, waved, G-10, S30V and put me down for 2! :D

New C-60 would be sweet...in a cool dark blue in honor of Massad Ayoob's law enforcement career. A new Jess Horn would be nice also:thumbup:John.

Guys, much as I love the idea of a Tip up, waved, g10, s30v Ayoob, it's ambitious plans like that that caused this idea to fizzle out.

At best, we can only hope for 1-2 changes on this awesome model.

I propose
1. A g10 handle, and, if ecconomically feasable,a 4 way clip
2. A 4 way clip, with factory grip tape handles

We've got to keep it simple of we can KISS this awesome knife being resurected goodbye.

edit- some pics to boost morale

CIMG1056.jpg

CIMG1510.jpg

Photo410.jpg

CIMG1524.jpg

Tizwin, the rationale was to get the blade directly in line with the radius bone of the forearm when the average human wrist was in the "locked" position, which puts the middle knuckle of the hand directly in line with the axis of the forearm.

This is what gives the C60 its superior stabbing accuracy that posters in this thread have mentioned, and it also gives tremendously more penetration, because it aligns the skeleto-muscular support structure of the arm with the point (number one), and therefore with anyone who knows how to put his weight behind a punch, gets the entire body's force going directly behind the point (number two).

As other posters have also noted, the handle-to-blade angle puts much more force behind a slash as well as a stab. Instead of the blade "skimming" over the target as it hits hard resistance such as bone, the 90 degree angle of the blade when held in reverse grip (and KEPT there by a handle shape that allows the thumb to lock it at that angle) the C60 is more likely to shear directly through whatever resistance it encounters. Because of the design features, something very similar happens with a slash from the conventional saber or pekal grasp.

As to the tip-down carry: I'm one of those early Spyderco fans whom Sal calls "Clipiteers," [:)] who started their Spyderco experience with the original Police model, learned to open it with a pinch-snap, and discovered we could win bets beating guys with bali-songs and even "automatic knives" in opening speed. The pinch snap uses the gross motor movement of the closed hand instead of the more fine-motor skill of using the thumb to open the blade via the original design intent of the "Spyder-hole."

As has also been noted (you guys n' gals are sharp, no pun intended) the C60 had ambi holes drilled so the clip could be moved for southpaws. I did not consider tip-up carry in the design parameters, and would have to go back and play with the concept a lot more to see how well it would work in that fashion. I realize that a lot of folks are as habituated to tip-up carry as I am to tip-down.

And needless to say, I'll give a +1 to the sprint run suggestion...:)

Figured I'd dig this one up, so people know the Ayoob is more than just cool looking.

Guys, much as I love the idea of a Tip up, waved, g10, s30v Ayoob, it's ambitious plans like that that caused this idea to fizzle out.

At best, we can only hope for 1-2 changes on this awesome model.

I propose
1. A g10 handle, and, if ecconomically feasable,a 4 way clip
2. A 4 way clip, with factory grip tape handles

We've got to keep it simple of we can KISS this awesome knife being resurected goodbye.

Mark speaks the truth. G-10 handles grippy like the P'kal and a 4 position pocket clip and (a wave) we're done.

Bump! Been EDCing my PE, grip tape Ayoob for a while now. Love it! Absolute durability and performance in a melt in your pocket package.

Now, if only I could get one in 60/40 combo edge.....

I wonder where the Ayoob sits in the Sprint Run pipeline? Hopefully it's at least in the pipeline. :D

*2010 edit!*- Well, I went ahead and had mine FFG by Tom Krein about a year ago, and it is a much, much better knife now. Catamount was right, it really needs the FFG.

Last edited:
I would also be interested in a Spyderco Ayoob in G10. I've owned two Ayoobs in the past and sold both of them do to the slippery aluminum handles. When used as a defensive weapon the aluminum handle would become even more slippery with blood thrown into the mix. I would definitely be interested in purchasing another Spyderco Ayoob if it was made with a G10handle. I would prefer tip down or the wave feature. I don't care about grind or blade material.

Back