Spyderco Massad Ayoob

Ok, my two choices would be PP CF or G-10, and either S30V or M-4.

Hope this gets off the ground!

Yet nowadays several companies make a similarily negatively angled knife. Kabar's TDI series immediately springs to mind. I had a list going somewhere of other knives...:rolleyes:

i dont thinka lot of folks make folders like it,

i dont thinka lot of folks make folders like it,

More than the folks who made knives like it before it came out. ;) At least in my tiny mind. The Timberline Pistol Grip, the Kabar TDI, Boker Gemini, Szabo UUK fixed and folding ....

That is four companies; producing at least seven variations...

Dear Mr. Glesser,

Please bring a version of the Massad Ayoob into production. Many people would like this and it is bound to be very succesful. Furthermore, this thread is getting a little long and at this rate there will be approximately 300 really good ideas for a new version which makes me very sad as I cannot own them all (especially considering the fact they do not exist). Thank you for your time regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Hammer27

More than the folks who made knives like it before it came out. ;) At least in my tiny mind. The Timberline Pistol Grip, the Kabar TDI, Boker Gemini, Szabo UUK fixed and folding ....

That is four companies; producing at least seven variations...

you do understand the TDI is not a folder, correct??

you do understand the TDI is not a folder, correct??

Yes I do, but I didn't notice the fixation on the word "folder". A bent knife is a bent knife, the concept works for both. Unless I totally missed a whole bunch of knives pre Ayoob (which is quite possible), it seems like a new angle on knives. In my mind it broke the ground and opened up acceptance for severely bent knives, folder and fixed alike. :)

I want my Sprint Run Ayoooooob.

Tizwin, the rationale was to get the blade directly in line with the radius bone of the forearm when the average human wrist was in the "locked" position, which puts the middle knuckle of the hand directly in line with the axis of the forearm.

This is what gives the C60 its superior stabbing accuracy that posters in this thread have mentioned, and it also gives tremendously more penetration, because it aligns the skeleto-muscular support structure of the arm with the point (number one), and therefore with anyone who knows how to put his weight behind a punch, gets the entire body's force going directly behind the point (number two).

As other posters have also noted, the handle-to-blade angle puts much more force behind a slash as well as a stab. Instead of the blade "skimming" over the target as it hits hard resistance such as bone, the 90 degree angle of the blade when held in reverse grip (and KEPT there by a handle shape that allows the thumb to lock it at that angle) the C60 is more likely to shear directly through whatever resistance it encounters. Because of the design features, something very similar happens with a slash from the conventional saber or pekal grasp.

As to the tip-down carry: I'm one of those early Spyderco fans whom Sal calls "Clipiteers," [:)] who started their Spyderco experience with the original Police model, learned to open it with a pinch-snap, and discovered we could win bets beating guys with bali-songs and even "automatic knives" in opening speed. The pinch snap uses the gross motor movement of the closed hand instead of the more fine-motor skill of using the thumb to open the blade via the original design intent of the "Spyder-hole."

As has also been noted (you guys n' gals are sharp, no pun intended) the C60 had ambi holes drilled so the clip could be moved for southpaws. I did not consider tip-up carry in the design parameters, and would have to go back and play with the concept a lot more to see how well it would work in that fashion. I realize that a lot of folks are as habituated to tip-up carry as I am to tip-down.

And needless to say, I'll give a +1 to the sprint run suggestion...:)

I am a HUGE fan of your firearms writing and this blade. I agree as I will swear the fastest opening method out their is the SpyderPinch...even automatics cannot match a skilled user. I do not know enough about tip up to make a very intelligent remark on how it would work with the C60, but tip up or down, I will buy another one of these guys.

The blade design of this knife is excellent and ahead of its time...the grind is awesome and larger folders are coming back into style. Beyond being an efficient stabber, it slices very nicely too. It is already ergonomic, has the best lock with the Boye Dent so in combat the knife is not accidentally disengaged, has an excellent blade grind, rides well in the pocket, has nice jimping, and has great blade steel.

My recommendations:
1) G10 as G10 grips very well when wet; so does Spyderco's Peel Ply
2) Larger SpyderHole
3) Blunted tips for usage as an impact weapon
4) TRAINER!

How about a 3" blade length for those of us so contrained, and give me a reversible clip and removable wave feature!:)

I am a HUGE fan of your firearms writing and this blade. I agree as I will swear the fastest opening method out their is the SpyderPinch...even automatics cannot match a skilled user. I do not know enough about tip up to make a very intelligent remark on how it would work with the C60, but tip up or down, I will buy another one of these guys.

My recommendations:
1) G10 as G10 grips very well when wet; so does Spyderco's Peel Ply
2) Larger SpyderHole
3) Blunted tips for usage as an impact weapon
4) TRAINER!

I really like your recommendations "NickZac" :thumbup: :) I hadn't even thought of a larger Spyderhole but after playing with mine a bit this evening I see that you are certainly on the right track with that one. The idea of a TRAINER and to have it styled to be an inpact weapon sort of in the same vein as the is something serious to be considered. I really appreciate your input. I also like the other brother's idea of a 3 inch version>> in other words have the possibility of an AYOOB Junior kind of in the same light as the older C-49 Wegner Junior that so many Spyder fans liked.

Please folks let's don't let this idea fade. This is a great idea with some great contributions from a lot of you who have chimed in. Let's don't quit now. :cool:

As far as handle material goes, I am O.K. with aluminum a la the BM Presidio style ribs. I may be in the minority here, but think that G-10 and liners would make the knife too thick for me. I don't advocate "borrowing" design features from other knife companies, but checkout the possibilities on the alumagrips website. They make some really cool aluminum grips for 1911s (I have two sets) and the grip is better than any other for me. They can also do logos for Police Departments or initials in the monogram cutouts. Colors range from OD green, tan, black, red (for you trainer fans), to clear annodizing. Just a thought.

I like the wave idea, but already like the blade shape as is.
Rockbuster

Dear Sal,

I seem to have lost my Massad Ayoob. It served me well for two years. I miss it and want another one. Please?

Desperately,

LT Raggio

I am also wondering if this talk of a "re-introduced" C-60 Massad Ayoob is really going anywhere. It sure looked encouraging back around January and February. I know there are a lot of kettles on the stove at the Great Spyder Factory but I am not going to give up on the possibility of a comeback for the Ayoob.

Now I do want to see some of the modifications we've discussed in this thread. Well let's hope that the squeaky wheel will get oiled.

There are 3 Spyders I want to see make a comeback are as follows:
The C-60 Massad Ayoob
The C-44 big Dyad
and the JD Smith .>>> And necessarily in that order too :cool:

My suggestions:

1.Some form of blade coating as an option
2.G10 handle scales (Maybe some Coyote Brown, or Foliage Green to entice the military market)
3.Waved version if they get configured for tip up carry
4. S30V, VG-10, or D2. I really like these steels but whatever Spyderco goes with is fine with me; they don't put out crap.
5.Wire clip

I was thinking of putting the cobra hood in that list but I don't have any experience with it. Anybody think it'd be good with this?

yeah, i showed up to the spyderco party late as well, and would have loved to been able to get one of these.

as a serious martial artist i realized what a great weapon it would make for self defense. probobly one of the best out there, and sadly most of them are in collections.

hopefully spyderco will bring it back some time, as serious self defense practitioners and martial artists could really use this weapon/tool.

Just the fact that this thread refuses to die is a good indicator to me that the Ayoob model should be at the top of the list as a comeback candidate.

Even though there is a considerable amount of disagreement on what we all would like to see in a new, upscaled version of an Ayoob model it is still very evident that there are many Spyderco fans that do indeed believe that the Ayoob deserves another "go around".

One of the recent ideas cited is a coated blade. I like Spyderco's coated blades and even carry one from time ( C-46 Lum tanto). I would be content with VG-10 as one guy suggested but the first one was made with VG-10 so to me this would be a great blade to use for the introduction of a new blade steel like M-4. I think the Ayoob would be fantastic with ZDP-189.

A Peel Ply; Carbon Fiber handle would also be super for that model. OK let's get our thoughts and suggestions on the table. This knife deserves a face lift if it gets another chance. This thread has stayed alive for a reason >> and that's because the C-60 Ayoob model has a great fan base

I definitley would like one of these bad boys as is, but if a few changes were to be made, I wouldn't mind any/all of the folowing features:

For an economy model:
Basic endura style handles w/ liners, 4 position clip
vg-10 blade
large, paracordable lanyard hole
fixed/removable wave if physics allows.

For the braging rights edition:
Carbon fiber handle with titanium liners, w 4 position wire clip
H-1 steel blade, so it can go everywhere with me
Fixed wave
large paracordable lanyrd hole
centofante III style spyderco emblem

But, as long as this bad boy remains thinner than a native and under 5 oz's, I'm happy.

I definitley would like one of these bad boys as is, but if a few changes were to be made, I wouldn't mind any/all of the folowing features:

For an economy model:
Basic endura style handles w/ liners, 4 position clip
vg-10 blade
large, paracordable lanyard hole
fixed/removable wave if physics allows.

For the braging rights edition:
Carbon fiber handle with titanium liners, w 4 position wire clip
H-1 steel blade, so it can go everywhere with me
Fixed wave
large paracordable lanyrd hole
centofante III style spyderco emblem

But, as long as this bad boy remains thinner than a native and under 5 oz's, I'm happy.

I think Greenman has a point:thumbup: . The economy model with vg-10 steel and FRN handles would probably be close to endura sales in the quarter it's introduced. It's probably a dream to imagine the Ayoob with a wave. It would be the ultimate affordable SD knife. I would imagine the majority of Spyderco fans would have to have one:cool: .

Sal, you might have to put me down for two. No, I have four boys and a wife that is a spyderco fan. I'd better order more.:thumbup: ;)

Back