Spyderco "mislead" about price increases!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just throwing in my 2 cents before this thread gets locked...

Don't like spyderco, don't buy 'em...
See designs from another company you like, buy 'em.

Simple as that.

Spyderco makes a quality built knife with an outstanding customer support and warranty dept. They are a business seeking to make a profit, and they charge what they deem an appropriate price for their product based on the market, and with the plethora of Spyderco fan boys, (and girls), they seem to be doing ok with their products and business models, as they are consistently rated as one of the top selling knife brands out there, with outstanding customer satisfaction ratings...

Personally, I don't like Spyderco knives, not because they're not well built, or their high prices, but because I simply find the vast majority of them aesthetically ugly, most of the ones I've handled don't feel all that pleasant in my hand as they do for others, and as for the very few I have considered buying, I always see something else I like even more in that same price point, (or cheaper), and so to date I proudly own zero Spyderco knives, and unless someone gifts me one, that probably won't change in the foreseeable future as I have none in sight that currently peak my fancy...

Even though I'm not a fan of their designs, I am also not a bitter and petty person who will demand they cater something just to my liking and my price range, just so I can own one and be one of the "cool kids", I could care less if they make one I like or not. If they do I'll buy it, if they don't, I'll continue to buy one of the umpteen other knives out there from other companies which I do find more attractive.
Would you believe, Some people even think that the knives that I like are ugly, (*gasp), oh the horror!!! But I could also care less what others think about what's in my pocket... It's called individualism, and the individual is the greatest minority on earth...

I still find no need to bash Sal or his company, or his company's business model, I just buy what I like, and let other's do the same...

Last edited:
I am not sure exactly what the op is trying to push here - but Sal and company have been making great knives for many years.
I have many and none are cheaply made.

Maybe search for "shiny footprints".

best

mqqn

Trying to explain to people who only see the end price and that a Chinese Spyderco is more expensive than a Chinese company owned knife with better materials is a losing battle. Some people equate a "better" steel with bearings as a better knife than one on washers and a "lesser" steel, especially if that knife is cheaper. I'm sorry, but Spyderco has extra costs to contend with, not to mention their strict quality control. I trust a Tenacious over any other budget knife. Kershaw's chinese knives are made in their own factory in china, and while some of them are questionable (lower end with 3cr, 4cr steels) all the ones ive had in 8cr are fine knives with good heat treats. Not to mention the lifetime warranty which I've only had to use once on a chinese Kershaw, and they took care of me.

So yes, I will pay a little more for a knife I know will be supported after the sale. I'll never buy a Ganzo, they are crap. The company is crap. I have bought Civivis and they are fine knives and I trust them. They seem to treat their employees better as well. Fact of the matter is that the Chinese government can take it all away if they want. Look at the MMA fighter who challenged all the martial arts guys, and beat them easily. China didnt like that, so they barred him from entering his own gym. Froze all his assets. Ruined his life. If you don't think the government can make the knives produced in their country cheaper than ours then you are blind to what the Chinese government can and does do.

I hope that changes one day, I really do.

I think this has been covered already, but when the RAT 1 was released it was close to $100 msrp. I reviewed it here, in 2006: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ontario-rat-folder-model-1-reviewed-10-pics.406676/

Note the price:
I paid 68.12$ + shipping from New Graham Knives for the knife.

What's interesting is that there was quite a kerfluffe when Ontario dropped the price by almost 80% a couple years later for the same knife, made with the same materials, made in the same country. It turned me off them as a company and was one of my last forays into buying knives that weren't Spyderco/BM/Kershaw.

Spyderco, by which I mean Sal, Eric, Joyce and Kristi, have shown time and again to be open and honest about their business and it's practices.

A big part of the argument is: Will you pay more for American made? Hell yes I will, gladly. 99.9999% of people who see you using that Ganzo will never think a thing of it but one person eventually will think "ahh, short-bucks there can't afford a GOOD knife".
That’s not remotely part of the argument. He’s using two foreign made knives. The Tenacious is made in China and the RAT is made in Taiwan. Price gouging is price gouging. His argument is that Spyderco is lying about materials cost increases which is forcing the cost of their American-made products up as well. He uses Chinese knives as an example of materials cost, but isn’t advocating for China over America; he’s advocating Spyderco going back to their original prices and asking them to stop “lying” about materials cost.

Since you knew that much about my screen name I wonder if you also read back far enough to see the reason I created an account with this name was because my original account made in 2004 with 100% trade feedback had it's PW and email scrambled by an unknown MOD who got pissed, because I posted in support of Ganzo knives resulting in me loosing access to my account.
Then why can't i access my account all of a sudden and email recovery does not send an email to me? Who else can do that? If it was a system glitch I wonder at the coincidence of the timing when it happened... I guess it could be a system glitch but I put the probability of that on the lower end of the spectrum
and the associated email account i had when I setup the account mysterious changed to scrambles too huh?
You keep posting this bullshit about some imaginary MOD messing with your original account and I can assure you that I'll mess with your current account by banning it... are we clear on that?

I don't know what happened to your original account and quite honestly I really don't care. What I do know is that NO MOD has access to your email or password... end of story.

Go look through my past posts, seems like you already did a bit, it's all there.

I was an original member of this forum, almost a decade earlier than the "senior" guys on here today, am I bitter? Absolutely! Did I speculate theories as to how it occurred? You bet. Does it have anything to do with this post? Not at all.
It does because you decided to bring it up and since we're on the subject, below is a quote of yours from 2017 where you claimed your original account was made in 2006 instead of 2004 as stated by you above, I'll assume that was an honest mistake on your part and you're just confused.

You also claim below that your experience is not unique and that a few members also had their account information scrambled, you have any usernames or was that more unsubstantiated bullshit from you?
I have noticed a disturbing trend on BF in the last few years.

Before I get into the nitty and gritty, my main account was created in 2006 with almost 80ish 100% positive sell/trade feedback. Because I've commented and voiced my support for Ganzo knives and believe that they're good values and is not "fake" since it did not try to pass itself off as a BM. Some unethical MOD scrambled my password and changed my email address which effectively locked me out of my account.

I believe if my opinions on BF warranted a ban then that's what should have happened, but I was not banned and my account was simply made inaccessible to me by an unknown MOD who I'm sure held contrary opinions on the subject. I since joined Britishblades and found that my experience here was not unique and a few members there had their account information scrambled because they saw things differently.

Anyways, in protest I made this current account name to perfect illustrate my beliefs and opinion. But many memebers here have been openly hostile towards me simply based on my screen name. Call it bigotry, call it prejudice, call it whatever you want but I never saw any MOD warning off these members who expressed open hostility towards me simply based on my screen name when they got way off topic of the thread.

While a few members here have voice their open mindedness and supported my position but the vast majority of mindless zombies who follows the crowd seems to dominate this board and it's opinion. These same zombies has also been able to hijack all threads opposed to their established belief without recourse.

The bottom line is this, ideas have been copied through out the human history on EVERYTHING since the beginning of time and will continue until the end of time and nothing can change that. I'm against counterfeits but to place some arcane protectionist ideology against blade/handle shapes that is not patented rights or protect by any law is simply MORONIC!!!!!

You keep posting this bullshit about some imaginary MOD messing with your original account and I can assure you that I'll mess with your current account by banning it... are we clear on that?

I don't know what happened to your original account and quite honestly I really don't care. What I do know is that NO MOD has access to your email or password... end of story.

It does because you decided to bring it up and since we're on the subject, below is a quote of yours from 2017 where you claimed your original account was made in 2006 instead of 2004 as stated by you above, I'll assume that was an honest mistake on your part and you're just confused.

You also claim below that your experience is not unique and that a few members also had their account information scrambled, you have any usernames or was that more unsubstantiated bullshit from you?
He probably sees himself as a victim regularly. I doubt it’s just relegated to forum-use. He probably steals his neighbor’s news paper then accuses his neighbor of the same when he takes it back.

The title alone is a huge red flag. And the handle... Really. I'm all for leniency, people get upset, go bonkers, as long as its all somewhat socially acceptable... Usual stuff. But this constantly nibbling at Spyderco's heels get's really old. Hey Ganzofan there are other top tier brands that do the outsourcing stuff (have been doing for decades, even...). Upset much ?

There’s not much that I can say at this point that hasn’t already been said.

Other than you’re wrong G Ganzofan .

Shortly after the Tenacious came out I wanted one due to the buzz. I didn’t have much money at the time so I bought the cheapest one I can find. I remember this because I went with a combo blade and I usually avoid them. It was $41.95 through a reputable dealer.

I know they weren’t a $20-$30 knife because I had to sacrifice to get one.

...One person mentioned inflation and used car cost as example. But he failed to see the Rat1 comparison. If a Chevy Truck and Ford Truck cost thr same 10 years ago, but the Chevy truck today is double in price while the Ford truck cost less than it did 10 years ago while both companies made the trucks with the same materials. Then the difference is not due to inflation smart guy?!.....
Haven't seen a Ford pickup that cost less than it did 10 years ago. Prices are crazy.

There is more to choosing a knife or a pickup/car than simply price and materials. For me, reputation and my experience with the line takes total precedence when I make a buying decision. Warranties on knives don't mean much to me, but a manufacturer's reputation is very important. Warranties on trucks and cars are important; I would guess they add quite a bit to the cost and people are willing to pay for them.

Most Spyderco knives don't especially appeal to me, but having owned a few I know they are very good quality. I'd love a Caribbean leaf shape! But they are an upstanding, trustworthy company. I'd trust Sal Glesser with my money.

It's obvious that Ganzofan started this just to troll. He has a big chip on his shoulders for forgetting his password when he was drunk, stoned, rolling, or tweaking one night. Starting a Spyderco bashing thread, he knew it would bring most of this forum out to defend them. Trolling.

It's almost like saying that Mac or snap on price gouge... I don't fork over my hard earned money for those brands because they do the job better than a cheap wrench, any of them will turn a bolt... But when I break one I hand it back to the dealer and get a replacement with no question. I'd rather pay for a product from a company that stands behind their stuff. I don't own a pile of Spyderco knives, actually I only own one, but I know the reputation they have is there for a reason.

There’s not much that I can say at this point that hasn’t already been said.

Other than you’re wrong G Ganzofan .

Shortly after the Tenacious came out I wanted one due to the buzz. I didn’t have much money at the time so I bought the cheapest one I can find. I remember this because I went with a combo blade and I usually avoid them. It was $41.95 through a reputable dealer.

I know they weren’t a $20-$30 knife because I had to sacrifice to get one.
When did you buy? I got my Tenacious in late 2010 and I definitely paid about $32 for it on Amazon. Not defending Ganzoguy, but they were definitely sub $40.

When did you buy? I got my Tenacious in late 2010 and I definitely paid about $32 for it on Amazon. Not defending Ganzoguy, but they were definitely sub $40.
Mine would have been late 2009 because I was in the middle of a divorce. I think I remember seeing some on eBay in the mid $30s but they were from sellers I didn’t know.

Edit: Well crap, so much for my memory. I found the order history on Amazon. I had the knife and time frame right but I was off by exactly $10 on price. It was $31.95. Sorry!

G Ganzofan , just cuz my memory sucked doesn’t make you less wrong.:D

Last edited:
Read about half of this thread. Clear to me the OP is troll. Made more sense to me to put him on my ignore list rather than wasting my time trying to discuss with somebody who has no interest in a discussion.

I have not seen a speck of evidence in this thread to support the claim that Spyderco has lied.

My opinion that Sal Glesser is an honest and honourable man of integrity, and that his company reflects his personal values, remains unchanged.

That is all.

pm2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back