Spyderco "mislead" about price increases!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine would have been late 2009 because I was in the middle of a divorce. I think I remember seeing some on eBay in the mid $30s but they were from sellers I didn’t know.

Edit: Well crap, so much for my memory. I found the order history on Amazon. I had the knife and time frame right but I was off by exactly $10 on price. It was $31.95. Sorry!

G Ganzofan , just cuz my memory sucked doesn’t make you less wrong.:D
What hasn't really increased in price in 10 years and maintained the same or better quality? I am comfortable with Spyderco's pricing and I make my $ judgements knife by knife.... This whole discussion is a waste of time. I guess G Ganzofan likes to troll.

That’s not remotely part of the argument. He’s using two foreign made knives. The Tenacious is made in China and the RAT is made in Taiwan. Price gouging is price gouging. His argument is that Spyderco is lying about materials cost increases which is forcing the cost of their American-made products up as well. He uses Chinese knives as an example of materials cost, but isn’t advocating for China over America; he’s advocating Spyderco going back to their original prices and asking them to stop “lying” about materials cost.

I was referring to the Spyder/Firebird photo. I should have replied to that, my fault.

Aww, where did G Ganzofan go? I guess a little pushback and a couple facts sent him into some kind of fear spiral? Trolls be so predictable.

Whew, you really got this place jumpin OP. Well played!

sHb4MAA.jpg

Yay Spyderco!

I bought my first Spyderco less than two years ago. All I know is they make good quality knives and with plenty of steel options for all budgets. Some of my Shamans that cost $200 and some change are up there in regards to quality with knives I own that cost several times more.

Nice Spyderco’s guys. :thumbsup::cool:

I’m not really that involved in the knife manufacturers community. But I am fallowing this thread!

The rat does have liners unless im missing something.
My point is not about the liners. The point is about the handle materials.
  • The FRN handles of the $25 Rat are injection molded. This is an inexpensive process for items made in large qantities.
  • The G10 used in the Spyderco must be formed into a sheet under pressure and heat. They then must be machined into shape. And to be good knife handle material, the surface of the G10 must also be treated to make it suitably rough, but not too rough.
Good G10 is significantly more expensive than injection molded FRN because of all the additional process steps.

Ontario is to be honest a large US based mostly budget fixed blade manufacturer that to me dabbles in folders and outsources most if not all of that work. The Rat 1 is a good budget knife. It would be better if they had the liners skeletonized and put G10 scales on it. But then it would retail for ten to twenty dollars more. My Rat 1 was at the time the sharpest out of the box knife I had ever seen.

Spyderco is or feels like a smaller boutique US based folding knife company, that dabbles in fixed blades. With their Byrd line and Entry level Spyderco China made models they have something for everyone. Think of the sheer number of models, versions, sprint runs, countries of origin, including Golden Colorado, USA, Earth. Overall Spyderco is the company I respect the most, they have been very engaged with their customer base and the knife nuts over the years (even when we didn'tagreewith them). Sal and Eric have done more for the production knife community and industry as a business than most if not all others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back