Spyderco Neck Knife?

We have a small fixed blade in-the-works. VG-10 - 2.75" 3 blade shapes - (sheepfoot HG serrated), leaf (FG) plain, clip point (FG) plain. FRN scales, skeletonized tang, FRN sheath.

sal

You had me at clip point:eek::D

Sounds great! Can't wait to see how the new neck knives look like. Gotta even out my collection a little too
Many folding blades as opposed to fixed.

I was just thinking that it would be very cool to have a small fixed-blade (about the size of the Izula) made out of VG-10.

The more I think about it, the more I wish Spyderco would make this knife - a fixed-blade made of VG-10 with a 50/50 Choil with a blade around the same shape/size as the Sage's would be pretty awesome.

Edit: Just googled pics of the Spot and Swick - meh, I'd like something a little more traditional-looking with a straighter full-tang handle.

Street Beat?

I was just thinking that it would be very cool to have a small fixed-blade (about the size of the Izula) made out of VG-10.

The more I think about it, the more I wish Spyderco would make this knife - a fixed-blade made of VG-10 with a 50/50 Choil with a blade around the same shape/size as the Sage's would be pretty awesome.

Edit: Just googled pics of the Spot and Swick - meh, I'd like something a little more traditional-looking with a straighter full-tang handle.

It doesn't have a 50/50 finger choil. But it is a full hand grip. Full skeletonized tang. More traditional looking.

sal

It doesn't have a 50/50 finger choil. But it is a full hand grip. Full skeletonized tang. More traditional looking.

sal

Well..... you say that - and yet I find myself looking back at the Swick 2 again and again - they're not terrible looking. But then again, I got rid of my Ka-Bar TDI because of the forward-leaning pistol-grip so I'm thinking I might still wait on whatever you're working on man :)

Rwb1500 - I've actually been thinking about the Street Beat a lot lately - I'm not sure I care for the deep choil and no thumb-ramp though. I'd love something like the Mule Team only slightly smaller (possibly with a more skeletized handle).

Sal,

If you're still reading this thread, I have a special request. I'm deployed to Afghanistan again, only this time, I've become aware of a new problem.

Sexual assault is a major issue here- probably more a danger now than outright "enemy" action. The statistic I have heard is 120 reported rapes in 2011, with unreported estimated to be twice that. It's an issue for both males and females, and I've actually heard more stories of sexual assaults on males.

I would like a sub-2" bladed H1 neck knife, so it could be instantly deployable, and could be carried in the shower. I can get a steel model to you within a month, if you're interested.

In any case, I LOVE the Translucent Manix 2! It is literally my favorite Spyderco ever. I just gave mine away to a fellow officer at the FOB where I am, because he's a lefty, and I had been given a Gerber auto (with right-handed operation) two days before. I'd rather make-do with some other knife brand for a little while, than see another service member without a knife.

Best Regards,

John

Thanks for the suggestion.

Military flights here typically let you have knives with blades 3" and under. The Caspian Salt is 4.5". Also, the intent of H1 is to let the service member have a knife they can literally always have on them, including in the shower, on a dog tag chain.

(Edited to add:) Of course, the AR Neck Knife would be useful for anyone for wanted a small defensive blade that could always be with them. In general, I believe in using other things for defense, if possible, but a small fixed blade can be the best solution when you want someone to let go of you quickly.

Last edited:
Hi John,

We're back from SHOT and trying to dig out. Some more specifics would be nice.

sal

Thanks for the suggestion.

Military flights here typically let you have knives with blades 3" and under. The Caspian Salt is 4.5".

The Spyderco catalog is wrong on the Caspian. The blade from guard to tip is 3 1/4".(I have 3) That still doesn't help with your 3" limitation unless you want to modify the blade. It's a great utility knife, not sure about SD. I tried it after discovering that the Swick holes were too small for my finger.

The reason Spyderco has the Caspian's blade length wrong is because behind the guard is the finger hole and behind that is some FRN. They measure from the FRN to tip instead of guard to tip.

Billy, I do appreciate the clarification. :)

Sal, I'm not a huge fan of neck carry, but it's the only practical method when you're naked. Also, when we're taking showers is one time no service member has their issued firearm. An H1 necker, small and light enough to stay on a dog-tag chain, could be the "edge" someone needs to escape an attack at such a time. I think it might also be of interest to others, as well. I envision about a 1-oz H1 knife with a snap-in kydex or plastic sheath.

Interesting idea for that military neck knife. But the H1 is a little unnecessary, IMO. It would be nice if offered, sure. But it takes a long time to go from the drawing board to production to the market for a big company like Spyderco.

I would have no problem taking a fixed blade with a super rust prone steel like 1095 in a kydex sheath for a 15 minute shower. I mean, you towel yourself off after the shower, right? Toweling off the knife, and blowing out the sheath should be more than enough upkeep after a shower, especially for a "naked" neck knife. It would discolor a bit, but that's to be expected. Now take that advice, and then realize there are a bunch of great stainless neck knives, too. And those shouldn't rust after a quick shower at all...

H1 is pretty phenomenal, and really great for certain uses like salt water, ridiculously dirty/wet work with no cleaning break, or even just a hard use folder that's not the easiest to clean out all the time. It just seems like the whole rust "problem" is hugely overplayed online, when even the most prone knives could absolutely serve you well on water duty.

I do actually really like the idea, though. And h1 adds that ability to just absolutely forget about it and needing no maintenance besides sharpening. I just think you do currently have a bunch of viable options.

You know, that's a valid point. If it's a dedicated defensive piece, instead of a task knife, it doesn't even, in fact, have to be steel.

I think, though, that the people who would be most likely to take proper care of such a knife, are also the people most likely to be able to resist attack without it! Something like 440C, though, would also seem to be a good choice, while 52100 would be about the steel worst choice I can imagine. :)

John

Back